PDA

View Full Version : Spick-and-span!

fortheloveofcrabs
07-20-2006, 03:08 AM
Hey all,

I was just wondering how ya'll (yes, that's right, I said 'ya'll') keep your class clean - on the dry side. I find a dry paper towel doesn't really get all the salt off, a wet one leaves streaks, and windex kills everything... So what's your secret?

Quagmire
07-20-2006, 03:15 AM
Clean wet cloth (used only on tank),and squeegee

DanG
07-20-2006, 03:18 AM
damp paper towel followed by a dry one.

Jason McK
07-20-2006, 03:51 AM
I spray vinager on a cloth then wipe. But only after i've used a damp cloth to get most of the salt off

J

Aquattro
07-20-2006, 04:04 AM
always used windex (sprayed on cloth, not at tank)

Funky_Fish14
07-20-2006, 04:17 AM
Dry cloths and paper towels only. Normally there is enough moisture in the salt to get it off easily. I've always done the dry way. No streaks, and it comes off real fast.

mr_alberta
07-20-2006, 04:39 AM
Windex wiped with newspaper. I don't know if its an Urban Myth but that method supposedly leaves no streaks whatsoever.

EmilyB
07-20-2006, 05:06 AM
Old T-shirts (usually one I'm wearing) and water. Never had a problem.

reeferaddict
07-20-2006, 05:31 AM
Old T-shirts (usually one I'm wearing) and water. Never had a problem.

Haha! That might be something to see! You could charge admission to support your reef... :razz:

Chaloupa
07-20-2006, 05:51 AM
I spray with Coralife glass cleaner/polisher, use Bounty paper towel and my glass is always perfect...it really does polish it and make your mag float magnet glide over better

hmmmm reading that over sounds like I'm working for many of those companies...ha ha :lol: but my glass is beautiful even if I slop water all over the front, it comes really clean really easily!

Johnny Reefer
07-20-2006, 05:53 AM
Dry paper towel first. Then I use a foam glass cleaner sprayed onto a paper towel. Then another dry paper towel.
I used to use Bon Ami for the foam cleaner, but switched to a foam cleaner called "Sprayway". It's sold at the glass shop I deal with. It has no ammonia and smells purtty too!:smile:

Cheers:smile:,

seashells
07-20-2006, 08:55 PM
I spray with Coralife glass cleaner/polisher as well. I use a soft terry cloth and it buffs up real nice! I was surprised it actually works.

Doug

b_james
07-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Use a dry bathroom towel to 'polish' glass. I find using glass cleaner just creates streaks. dry paper towels also work

fortheloveofcrabs
07-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Wow, I surprised that so many people use things like windex. I've always been told that's a big no no. Good that hear that people have been using it with no problems. Good feed back. I've looked at that coralife spray stuff, but wasn't sure if it was worth it - sounds pretty good now.

Thanks guys!

OCDP
07-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Wow, I surprised that so many people use things like windex. I've always been told that's a big no no. Good that hear that people have been using it with no problems. Good feed back. I've looked at that coralife spray stuff, but wasn't sure if it was worth it - sounds pretty good now.

Thanks guys!

Windex is fine.. as long as your not spraying it near the direction of the tank.. I've been using it since day 1 with no ill effects whatsoever.

Windex all the way for moi.

Bill
07-20-2006, 10:30 PM
I use a sponge with warm water and then squeegee to dry. Takes about 30 seconds for a 6ft long tank.

GMGQ
07-21-2006, 01:34 AM
Oh is THAT why?? I've seen/heard of people using newspaper, but never knew why.

Windex wiped with newspaper. I don't know if its an Urban Myth but that method supposedly leaves no streaks whatsoever.

GMGQ
07-21-2006, 01:37 AM
I agree, makes total sense. Obviously if you're careless and overspray it into the tank, then that's a big no no. Just spray it onto the towel, away from the tank, then wipe the glass.

Windex is fine.. as long as your not spraying it near the direction of the tank.. I've been using it since day 1 with no ill effects whatsoever.

Windex all the way for moi.

OCDP
07-21-2006, 02:10 AM
I agree, makes total sense. Obviously if you're careless and overspray it into the tank, then that's a big no no. Just spray it onto the towel, away from the tank, then wipe the glass.

Exactly :mrgreen:

Skimmer Juice
07-21-2006, 02:18 AM
I use a semi wet towel.Then a dry towel works well.

Manny
07-21-2006, 02:18 AM
dry cloth for me. i'm to afraid to use windex.