PDA

View Full Version : Propagating Zoanthids

GrimReefer
07-19-2006, 06:03 PM
hey everyone, i'm interested in cutting up some zoos! what precautions should i take to avoid internal toxins? any tips or experience regarding methods to encourage rapid spreading? i was thinking that you could possibly colonize a rock quickly by gluing individual (whole) polyps every 2 square inches or so and letting them grow out...what do you think? also, what supplements should i use to encourage growth?

danny zubot
07-19-2006, 10:38 PM
To prevent internal toxins from entering the tank, the best way is to simply remove the zoo colony and frag externally. Be sure to wash your hands and sanitize the area you use, zoo toxins can kill if injested.

I have also found that zoos spread quicker when placed on coraline covered rocks, compared to other rocks that are devoid or coraline algea. Not sure if this is a proven fact, but thats the way it works in my tank.

Other people may have more to add.

Quagmire
07-19-2006, 11:50 PM
Wear gloves any time you handle Zoos.Never know whats toxic and whats not,so play it safe and assume all are toxic.Sometimes Zoos will squirt if you grab then too hard,or when you cut them.Some pple where saftey glasses to prevent getting squirted in the eyes.

Ive found 2 polyps will multily alot faster than 1.So when I frag,I'll make frags of 2 polyps each and let them grow out.I think clusters of 2 polyps each rather than 1 scattered around a rock would grow out faster.

kuatto
07-20-2006, 03:30 AM
I've done hundreds of zoo frags in the past and have been squirted a couple of times in the eye,be very careful ! Take the time to wear safety glasses and some rubber med gloves.The toxin has differant effects on people,I had what looked like pink eye for a couple of days.