PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent mold from growing under stand?

Palster
07-19-2006, 05:25 AM
I have a 90 gallon tank with a sump underneath it. The tank came complete with the sump and a stand made out of 1 inch square tubing. I wanted to close the stand in for aesthetic reasons so I welded some tabs onto the 1 inch tubing and closed the stand in with stained good one side plywood. The end product looks pretty good but the problem I am having is moisture from the sump is causing mold to grow on the plywood inside the stand. Does anybody have any ideas on how to prevent this from happening? I am even considering replacing the plywood on the front of the stand with something else that would allow the moisture to exit the stand or maybe some vent holes would be in order.

Midknight
07-19-2006, 05:43 AM
Hi Palster,

Yes, putting in some venting with some fans will help greatly.

Chad
07-19-2006, 04:33 PM
I would remove the wood and paint all the interior surfaces with a marine paint or other reef friendly paint. As well add in a fan to remove the moisture.

Adding ventilation now without removing the mold is a health risk. Depending on the variety of mold it can be extremely toxic and you do not want to be releasing those spores into your house. So, get that out first.

TheReefGeek
07-19-2006, 05:26 PM
I agree with Chad, paint the wood with marine paint. Putting in a vent will allow some air cirulation which will help too.

Seeing as you have to take down the wood to paint it, might want to replace it if the wood was really modly.

zoomin
07-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Can anyone expand on 'marine paint' with brand and where to buy?

Thanks.

muck
07-21-2006, 02:24 PM
I used Epoxy Paint from Home Depot. After 3 coats it dries to a plastic like finish. Worked great.

Brand was Sico. Super White epoxy gloss finish.

http://www.sico.ca/en/Produits/Images/teint_829.jpg

TheReefGeek
07-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Go to a hardware store that sells paint, they can show you the marine paint.

Rona, Home Depot, etc.

zoomin
07-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Excellent - thanks for the detail.

fkshiu
07-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Just to be absolutely sure you've actually killed all of the mold, I would first scrub it vigoursly with a bleach solution and then wait until it completely dries out (should get the fan and venting in there ASAP) before painting it.

Sushiman
07-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Just to be absolutely sure you've actually killed all of the mold, I would first scrub it vigoursly with a bleach solution and then wait until it completely dries out (should get the fan and venting in there ASAP) before painting it.

Absolutely! Kill that gunk & paint before it makes your whole house sick. No !@#$%! fungus allowed in the livingroom!

skylord
07-21-2006, 11:27 PM
If the woods damaged at all.....replace it. Mold spores can live over 2 feet away from any damage you see. You just think you have corrected the problem yet it lives on. No point in risking your heath. If you have any questions as to how mold can effect your heath just ask sushiman

Palster
07-23-2006, 03:23 PM
I know that mold spores can be really bad for you but what I am curious about is if I paint the wood on the inside of the stand with marine paint will this help prevent the mold from clinging to the wood?