PDA

View Full Version : This Sucks!

J Feez
07-18-2006, 07:40 PM
I know many people have said it before, but man does it ever suck not having a SW fishstore in the South. I mean there is PetCetera, but...well you really don't have to say much about that. Are there any rumours about a new store for the south?

SJSobczyk
07-18-2006, 07:45 PM
I agree, i cant remember the last time i was at a fish store. I used to go to Big Als to kill some time with the kids. To go up north i would kill all my time just driving!

Steve

J Feez
07-18-2006, 07:51 PM
I know exactly how you feel! I go up North all the time to work, but I usually start work at 3:30 - 4:00 and by the time I'm done all the stores have been shut down for hours. I went into the Pet Land on Macleod just past Ranchman's and I got a little sad because I really wanted to go and look at some SW fish after seeing all the FW one's.

Jaws
07-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Eventhough I can't feel your pain I totally understand it. I am fortunate enough to work only a block away from one of the best saltwater places in town and I end up going there at least once a day just to get my fix until I get home. I know it sounds sick but I can't help it. I hope you guys get a store soon.

andrewsk
07-18-2006, 08:56 PM
I agree. as great as Golds is, they need a South location :)

I would LOVE to open a store myself.

Perhaps one day!

Delphinus
07-18-2006, 09:00 PM
I couldn't agree more with you guys. I'm in the deep south too, and man do I miss the Big Al's. They weren't a perfect LFS (no LFS is though) but at least I could get there from time to time. :(

LFS people: Come on!! There's a captive market waiting to be tapped down here. Somebody get on it!!

SJSobczyk
07-18-2006, 09:39 PM
I think i got about $26.50 in my pocket and a bunch of stuff i could pawn off in the garage. That should at least get us a door knob.....or 2.

If someone could come around with a serious business proposal i know someone who might be willing to finance it.

Steve

marie
07-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Pfffttt, don't ask me to feel sorry for you :razz: I have a 5hr trip including 2 ferry rides, and that's just one way, to reach the nearest lfs :lol:

Ruth
07-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Whaa..............check out where I live! 9 hour drive one way to Edmonton - 15-16hrs to Vancouver and that is before you have to try and navigate amounst Kami Kaze drivers to get to the destination of you choice.

G1GY
07-18-2006, 11:49 PM
I live in the north end of the city. (AKA SW utopia.) :biggrin:

Quagmire
07-18-2006, 11:52 PM
:mrgreen: less than 5 minutes to Golds for me.Even with red lights :mrgreen:

Snappy
07-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Actually there is someone working on that right now. The owner asked me not to say anything so at this time I can't say who, but there is an existing store that is planning to open up a south Calgary location in the near future.

Delphinus
07-19-2006, 12:01 AM
There was movement afoot a couple months ago by another (ahem) anonymous group but it seems to have fizzled out unfortunately.

Oh well, whoever gets there first ought to have a nice market share. If I haven't quit the hobby altogether by that point I'll give them my business (at this point that is a big "if" though).

J Feez
07-19-2006, 02:10 AM
I could put in some part time hours at this new South LFS!

TheReefGeek
07-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Afraid I can't muster up any sympothy for you. At least you have one of the best LFS in your city already!

Adding another store might spread the business too thin, and wouldn't you rather see the existing stores be able to keep their prices low and still do well?

But maybe there is room for another store with Big Al's closing, guess the market will decide soon enough.

BMW Rider
07-19-2006, 03:26 PM
I have two stores reasonably close by, but no time or money to go to either one (its motorcycle season, don't you know). Not sure if that's really any better than not having a store close to home. :sad: :cry:

J Feez
07-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Just out of curiousity reefgeek, but which one is the best store?

TheReefGeek
07-19-2006, 07:26 PM
I don't review vendors on here. I do like the glint that gold gives off though. And sometimes I like to get wayyyyy the hell out of dodge. lol.

Just out of curiousity reefgeek, but which one is the best store?

andrewsk
07-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Reef Geek,

You guys have Aquarium Illusions up there. I love their quarantine process and selection!

OCDP
07-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Hey does anyone know if Ocean's is open yet??? And does anyone have their new number? Or is it the same?

Sorry to hijack.

oops, forgot about the Oceans thread in the Calgary forum

TheReefGeek
07-19-2006, 08:25 PM
AI does have excellent QT procedures and a decent selection, I have never had any trouble with their fish, and I don't QT myself :surprise:

My better half has commented on the large drop in bank account values though, especially for dry goods, yikes!

danny zubot
07-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Oh well, whoever gets there first ought to have a nice market share. If I haven't quit the hobby altogether by that point I'll give them my business (at this point that is a big "if" though).

Just jokes right Tony?

My plan for retirement is to open a SW fish store somewhere. I figure there may not be a CPP by that time so I'll need something to sustain myself, and hobby. It won't be here though, there are other places in Canada lacking even more than the south end of Calgary believe it or not. But if I had the money to open one, right now would be the perfect time in Calgary's south. I'm interested to see who cashes in first down here.

J Feez
07-20-2006, 06:51 AM
Whaa..............check out where I live! 9 hour drive one way to Edmonton - 15-16hrs to Vancouver and that is before you have to try and navigate amounst Kami Kaze drivers to get to the destination of you choice.

Sometimes it seems like it is a 9 hour drive to the northend of Calgary these days:sad: