PDA

View Full Version : Refugium flow

christyf5
07-18-2006, 06:56 PM
What kind of flow volumes are you guys running in your refugiums? I always thought it was supposed to be a "calmer" area but my fuge is pretty disgusting. I mean I know its not supposed to be a show tank but the amount of brown slime/cyano growing in there isn't exactly helping the water quality of the main tank I would imagine.

Currently I have a 25 gallon tall tank as a refugium with a single maxijet 600 pointed at the front of the tank. I'm thinking its not enough flow. The tank does grow pods like nobodys business though :biggrin:

Suggestions?

muck
07-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Hmm... I couldn't tell you cause its Teed off my return line with a ball valve for control.
Its not open very much though.

Reefer Rob
07-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Is there a way to stop the flow between your fuge and you main tank, then check your nitrate level in week or so? When I lost my fuge to an unfortunate accident (don't ask :redface: ) my nitrates went from 20 to 10. I think it was because I didn't have enough flow in my fuge, and I was getting detritus settling.

Rob

christyf5
07-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Is there a way to stop the flow between your fuge and you main tank, then check your nitrate level in week or so? When I lost my fuge to an unfortunate accident (don't ask :redface: ) my nitrates went from 20 to 10. I think it was because I didn't have enough flow in my fuge, and I was getting detritus settling.

Rob

Yes I can certainly do that and have already done it :biggrin: . Thats my feeling as well about the lack of flow and crap settling on the sandbed and possibly choking the life out of it.