PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI setup

howdy20012002
07-18-2006, 05:09 AM
I am looking at going the next step and setting up a RO/DI setup.
I am limited to space and am looking at using a garbage can for a reservoir on a stool with a faucet at the bottom to fill buckets. The tank will right next to my laundry tub in the basement.
My question is this > How do I set it up so that the filtre will fill it up when I take out some water?
What will I need to make it work so that it will automatically kick in once I use some of the water?
Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Neal

muck
07-18-2006, 05:13 AM
Hey Neil, Im working on doing that exact same thing right now.
Just picked up the garbage can for the resevoir and a humidifier float switch from Rona.
I will hopefully get everything going this week sometime. Just need to plan out where exactly I want to put it.

howdy20012002
07-18-2006, 05:27 AM
what kind of RO/DI setup did u get?
what switch did u buy?
do I need the RO/DI small tank reservoir that normally comes with the filtre then have that feed my garbage can?
thanks
Neal

DanG
07-18-2006, 04:10 PM
As long as you have a float valve that shuts off the output from the filter, you don't need the other reservior that the systems come with.

TheReefGeek
07-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Ok, a few choices, here are some setups I recommend:

1. Float switches in your garbage can that control a sprinkler solenoid that controls the input of water to your RODI. Multiple float switches is recommended, at least one higher than the other so if the lower one fails the other kicks off the water production. Even better is 2 in parallel, and 2 in series so that one from each bank of 2 needs to get triggered in order for water to flow. Very important is controlling the voltage to the float switches so they done melt open. (if you are using the cheap float switches your wire yourself, if you are using $50+ float switches already wired then no worries)

2. Float valve in your garbage can. Float valve will close when water level is reached, and this builds up pressure in the line. You then need a hydraulic valve/switch (Aquasafe units come with on built in) that will get activated when it detects the pressure increase (membrane moves/flips from pressure) and shuts off waste water production. Without this, when the float valve closes, your RODI unit will keep producing waste water. Also, this method will only work well over short distances, so it depends on where the RODI vs. garbage can is, you might need to install pressure bladders to trigger hydraulic switch if the line is too long.

This is just to keep the reservoire filled, you can then run the garbage can to your sump with a float valve to keep your sump at a constant level, or a pump controlled by float switches.