PDA

View Full Version : Fish CPR Post Carpet Surfing survivor story

Chin_Lee
07-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Here's a little funny story that could have been tragic that surprisingly has a happy ending.
I just returned from a three day trip to Seattle with the family and of course we visited the Seattle Aquarium. As we left the gift store, my son insisted that we buy a highly overpriced little shiny fish ornament as a souvenir.
Last night while I was feeding my fish, my attention was primarily focused watching the movie Training Day on television. I then noticed that the shiny fish souvenir was on the carpet but it was getting to the good part of the movie when Ethan Hawke's character was about to get wacked by some Latino gang members in the bathtub and I continued to watch the movie. My wife came downstairs and asked "Whats that on the carpet?" and I replied "Oh its just that fish souvenir from the aquarium." My wife replied, "I don't think so because I gave the souvenir to Kohen to take to bed with him."
I quickly ran over to this so-called "souvenir" and noticed it was my six-line wrasse that had decided to do some carpet surfing for the past 3-4 minutes in front of me. She was stiff as a board so I picked it up, held it by its tail and moved it back and forth in the water (just like a fisherman would when releasing their catch). She still didn't react so I gently squeezed her torso a few times and the tail flickered and it swam spiralling into some acropora. I took it out and cradled the fish in my hands in front of water current and it was breathing again. After a few seconds, it took off again and laid at the bottom of the tank breathing really hard for a long time. When I came back, it was gone.
This morning, I was looking for the corpse but couldn't find it. The best news is that I just saw it swimming around the tank looking for food.
I'm glad I attended those Marine Animal CPR courses at the aquarium :smile:

Tangman
07-17-2006, 03:38 AM
Cool, I hope all goes well

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-17-2006, 05:55 AM
Neat.

EmilyB
07-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Great recovery ! My Valentini puffer was noticed once on the carpet, he was really dry, and covered in dog hair....

I never thought he'd recover but once back in the tank, he was back to business.

Willow
07-17-2006, 02:43 PM
jebus my orange sided fairy has hit the floor 10 times and counting now! 10 seconds holding in from of the powerhead and he his good as new.

i have crabs
07-17-2006, 02:44 PM
i had a baby cardinal do the same thing a while back it was half crusted and lost half its fins but lived.

OCDP
07-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Reminds me of my first carpet surfer. My A. Ocellaris.. I came upstairs, actually looked at it on the floor and went "oh hey.. theres the clown" ... not even thinking anything of it. Few seconds later "oh sh*! ... there's the clown!!!" ahah... and yep, she recovered.

Cool story Chin.

fresh
07-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Chin, one question though... did you give him mouth to mouth ;) and if so, do you have fish-breath now ;) lol

rickjames
07-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Training day.... lol... great movie anyways.

Good to hear your fish is ok. I hope this doesn't bother those who are squeamish, but if you clean a fish that hasn't been dead for too long, take the heart out, and gently squeeze it a couple times, it will start pumping a few times. I always thought that was kind of neat.

Chin_Lee
07-17-2006, 05:40 PM

Good to hear your fish is ok. I hope this doesn't bother those who are squeamish, but if you clean a fish that hasn't been dead for too long, take the heart out, and gently squeeze it a couple times, it will start pumping a
few times. I always thought that was kind of neat.
then do you just put it back in, sew it up and its good as new?:lol:

reeferaddict
07-17-2006, 05:54 PM

Good to hear your fish is ok. I hope this doesn't bother those who are squeamish, but if you clean a fish that hasn't been dead for too long, take the heart out, and gently squeeze it a couple times, it will start pumping a few times. I always thought that was kind of neat.

Hmmm... read everywhere by forensic profilers... haha!

rickjames
07-17-2006, 07:12 PM
then do you just put it back in, sew it up and its good as new?:lol:

Haven't tried, once I have gutted the fish I usually would rather eat it!

Unless we are talking about CKR.... catch, kill, and release :lol:

j/k.... I better stop now before I get myself in trouble. :twised:

Midknight
07-17-2006, 07:51 PM
I alway thought it was catch, kill and re-heat?
:lol:

Haven't tried, once I have gutted the fish I usually would rather eat it!

Unless we are talking about CKR.... catch, kill, and release :lol:

j/k.... I better stop now before I get myself in trouble. :twised: