PDA

View Full Version : Black powder?

MikeP
07-15-2006, 08:09 PM
When I was first setting up my tank I was in a LFS and one of the staff was telling me about something called black powder and how awsome it was. But continued to say they don't sell it but if I find some I should buy it. Well I found another store that sells it so should I get some? What will it do for my tank? I haven't actually read the container so I don't even know what the manufaturer claims it will do. This lady talked like it was one of the best things you can do for your tank though.

Any info would be great
Thanks

RonPeter
07-15-2006, 09:59 PM
I've never used it but I haven't heard anything good about it.

Ruth
07-15-2006, 10:19 PM
If it is the same stuff I am thinking of it is a Marc Weiss product and IME they are all hockus pockus crap. I tried using it for a while on a former tank and I cannot say for sure it was the black powder but man did I get a cyano outbreak - that would not go away. I was using canister filters with sponge though which was also contributing to high nitrates but my best guess is the combination of a canister filter and black powder = instant cyano.

zulu_principle
07-16-2006, 02:09 PM
This is the only additive we use in our 65 Gallon Softie Tank.

We have not experienced Cyanobacteria or any detremental effects to our water quality. But I have experienced fabulous polyp extension, great growth rates from all our softies, including our flourscent green Clavularia.

I feel we are a little different in that I do not recommend additives that I have not used in my systems and have seen positive effects on my inhabitants.

I dont believe this additive would have positive effects on sps tanks and have not experimented with it on lps systems.

MHEO

Wendell

www.oceanaquatics.com

MikeP
07-16-2006, 05:06 PM
My tank is currently FOWLR (but I'm thinking of upgrading the lights to have some 'easy' corals). The Marc Weiss website says it will do great things for live rock has anyone thats used it noticed any improvement in their live rock?

andrewsk
07-16-2006, 07:00 PM
MikeP

What store is it that sells it in Calgary?

I did some research online and it sounds interesting. I think I will get some and do some experimenting for sure.

Thay have a product called "Combo Vital" that has Black Powder and Specra Vital that sounds even more interesting.

I am currently using PolypLabs "System Refresh" and I also have a Miracle Mud Refugium and dose the Ecosystem Fish solution so I am not sure if this new product would cancel either of these out or not.

What I think I will do is buy some of this and run 2 of my quarantine tanks with some live rock and a couple of Frags in each. One I will dose one with the product and one ill leave alone to see if there is a difference.

MikeP
07-16-2006, 09:26 PM
MikeP

Wai's sells it and it was the staff at riverfront that recommended it.
If you pick some up please PM me with your thoughts.

Thanks

Twisted-1
07-17-2006, 12:00 AM
I use blackpowder every so often but I make sure to target feed my corals with a syringe you can get for medicines. They have no needle. Just a blunt plastic tip. I premix the powder with some tank water then I feed away. But I also do this proceedure with Reef roids.

I would recomend that you don't just sprincle it on the top of the water. They claim it will just gently sink in the tank over afew hours and better feed your corals. This was bad, firstly if you have an overflow, Unless you turn off your sump for a long period it will all go to your sump and float there. If you don't have an overflow you will just have this stuff floating on your surface for afew days. I used it on my Nano tank and had to throw my spare aqua clear on it just to help push the powder down into the tank.

But I did notice a difference with my zoos mainly.

albert_dao
07-18-2006, 04:23 AM
They say you get fabulous polyp extension and growth when you feed your corals too...

andrewsk
07-18-2006, 05:33 AM
They say you get fabulous polyp extension and growth when you feed your corals too...

Sounds like it's similar to Reef Roids which I love and would never switch from.

Snappy
08-13-2006, 06:00 PM
MikeP

I did some research online and it sounds interesting. I think I will get some and do some experimenting for sure.

Thay have a product called "Combo Vital" that has Black Powder and Specra Vital that sounds even more interesting.

I am currently using PolypLabs "System Refresh" and I also have a Miracle Mud Refugium and dose the Ecosystem Fish solution so I am not sure if this new product would cancel either of these out or not.

What I think I will do is buy some of this and run 2 of my quarantine tanks with some live rock and a couple of Frags in each. One I will dose one with the product and one ill leave alone to see if there is a difference.
I occasionally use combo vital in my tank and in my opinion the results are inconclusive. The shrimp sure seem to like though.

bulletsworld
08-30-2006, 05:54 PM
In the past I purchased Marc Weiss product Black powder & Combo Vital for my reef tanks. Actually I just gave both products away for free a month back. I thought they were both a waste of money honestly. I did find the additives were a bit pricey and didn't find that I had fabulous polyp extension or growth, when I spot fed. Thinking back I did have cyna bacteria in those tanks at that time, but can't be sure it was because of those products.

OCDP
08-30-2006, 06:22 PM
A friend of ours that lives in Maui uses this on her tank and swears by it. I fed her tank with it while I was there on vacation.. zoanthids showed quite a reaction to the feeding. I would compare the feeding response to the same kind of response I get when I feed Reef Roids. I find Reef Roids to be great... totally gets my zoos growing.

Sorry this wasn't a very useful informative post.. just an observation.