PDA

View Full Version : Hardiest Tang?

OCDP
07-14-2006, 04:07 PM
In your experience, which is the hardiest tang to add into the home aquarium? Thanks.

Raf
07-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Just my opinion but I have never had any problems with sailfin tangs I have added to set-ups.

OCDP
07-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Cool.. I love the Sailfin's.. thanks for your input.

phreezee
07-14-2006, 04:40 PM
I'd have to say it's the Yellow... everyone has one.
Most Non-Hardy=Regal/Hippo!

OCDP
07-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Yellow, eh... but how do we assume they are the most hardy because everyone has one?

When I say "hardy" I mean... less prone to ick or parasites, isn't skittish and gets along with tank mates, eats well, etc..

Johnny Reefer
07-14-2006, 04:56 PM
A Sailfin would not be an appropriate choice for your planned 50g cube, IMO. You'd need at least 135g, IMO.

Cheers:smile:,

OCDP
07-14-2006, 04:58 PM
I never said I was going for 50g . I said somewhere from 50-60 (and still havent decided on anything yet) And again, I never said I am adding any of these tangs to my tank.

for my next tank I'd like a tang if I can get a big enough setup.

I'm just curious what the general consensus is on the hardiest tang.

naesco
07-14-2006, 05:01 PM
What would be the hardiest tang for a home aquarium and why? Any experience?? .. for my next tank I'd like a tang if I can get a big enough setup.

Just seeing which would be the best to add.

It really depends on the length of your tank OCDP.

Which tangs are you considering at this time?

Thank you
Wayne

Joe Reefer
07-14-2006, 05:05 PM
I love my Scopas! :biggrin:

OCDP
07-14-2006, 05:07 PM
It really depends on the length of your tank OCDP.

Which tangs are you considering at this time?

Thank you
Wayne

And yet again, I never said I am adding any of these tangs to my tank.

I am simply asking what (in your experience) is the hardiest tang. I am not considering any one specific tang at the moment. I don't even know if I will add a tang to my new setup. This is not what the thread is about . I am just trying to get information on the hardiest tang, so that IF my system is big enough and IF I decide to put a tang in my new setup.. I'll know which one to look out for.

This can be a good discussion for everyone on their experience with tangs , and which they find most suitable in captivity.

When I say "hardy" I mean... less prone to ick or parasites, isn't skittish and gets along with tank mates, eats well, etc..

Johnny Reefer
07-14-2006, 05:08 PM
I never said I was going for 50g . I said somewhere from 50-60 (and still havent decided on anything yet) And again, I never said I am adding any of these tangs to my tank.

I'm just curious what the general consensus is on the hardiest tang.

What would be the hardiest tang for a home aquarium and why? Any experience?? .. for my next tank I'd like a tang if I can get a big enough setup.

Just seeing which would be the best to add.
Holy crap!:surprise: So what part of "...for my next tank I'd like a tang if I can get a big enough setup?" am I not getting?
You know you've been talking alot lately about getting a 50g cube and how that's all you can fit in your bedroom so don't go biting my head off for mentioning that. Even 60g ...what's the difference?....still too small for a Sailfin, IMO.
Christ, you get up out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?

OCDP
07-14-2006, 05:14 PM
oh my goodness........

chill out ???. this thread was a simple question of which tang you find most hardy.

Im not even going to bother replying to posts like yours anymore.

And what part of "for my next tank I'd like a tang if I can get a big enough setup." are you not getting?? Who said I may be going larger than 50-60g? How do you know I am not trying to fiddle with dimensions still? How do you know my plans haven't changed? Me and my dad went over dimensions last night and length was starting to sound more ideal rather than a cube. So, please .. lay off . I wasn't getting angry with you by any means. I think you sir are the one who woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I read my previous post over and I dont think I came off as rude one bit... you just chose to read it that way. Good day.

Edit: WHY are you stuck on the SAILFIN idea?!? My god, get over it. I never said I am adding a sailfin to my tank nor any other tang!!!!!!!

AJ_77
07-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Perhaps the question should have been, "what's the hardiest tang that can be housed in a 50-60 gal cube tank?" In that case, a zebrasoma spp. seems to be most adaptable. Buy small, sell large.

And yes Scott, you sound defensive. It's all about communication.

EDIT: I see you're planning for a larger tank now? How about saying that up front. You can't expect people not to jump in when you say you love Sailfin tangs, and we all are thinking you're planning a cube. The responsibility lies with the communicator to make sure his ideas are understood.

Johnny Reefer
07-14-2006, 05:26 PM
PM sent.

OCDP
07-14-2006, 05:28 PM
Ok.. well, once again, I always end up feeling like the bad guy. Sorry I am not communicating clearly.

I said "I love Sailfin's" Not, "I love sailfins, I think I'll add one of those ..." So, IMO , I was hounded on for no reason.

After 2 years in the hobby I think you all should know that I have a darn good idea of general care requirements for tangs.

This thread was specifically meant to find out (in your experience) What the hardiest tang is. I said "I am thinking of adding one if I can get a big enough setup" .. key word: Thinking.... meaning I am thinking a tang would be nice in my new setup. Doesn't mean I am adding one, and I never said "I am adding a tang to my new setup" .

And yes, I should have specified that I am now looking at a longer tank rather than a cube, as width may be an issue. Sorry for not specifying.

Sorry if I came off defensive in the original post, i didn't mean to come off that way. Just, tangs are too touchy of a subject for some people and it drives me bonkers that they jump right on you when I haven't even said I AM adding a tang. I said I am THINKING of adding a tang, IF I can get a big enough setup.

Once again, my apologies .. this thread took a turn for the worse, all's I wanted to really know here was in your experience what is the hardiest tang.

I will re-edit my original post.

OCDP
07-14-2006, 05:33 PM
I'd also appreacite if people wouldn't PM me to hound on me about this thread. Also, please don't PM me saying I have bought an anemone and haven't done the research until after it was purchased. Please read more carefully.. because if you did, you would see that I haven't purchased the anemone yet. And I am doing my reserach and reading PRIOR to purchasing it.

Thanks.

albert_dao
07-14-2006, 05:50 PM
The Zebrasoma species are hard to beat for hardiness when it comes to tangs. The scopas is probably the smallest of the ones that you can ACTUALLY GET (the gem and black get about the same size if I'm remembering correctly).

The two sailfin species just happen to be the largest of the Zebrasoma species. Both of them top off at around 40 cm's.

As far as being the MOST hardy and ich resistant though, I'd say, flat out, the Sohal and Mimic tangs trump every other tang out there. I've seen a LOT of tangs, and trust me, these things are going to be the last ones in a tank full of tangs to get ich. However, we're all aware of the potential sizes for both these tangs.

What it all REALLY boils down to, though, is find finding a really healthy individual to start with when you do buy a tang. I added about ten different types of tangs to the store display tank about two months ago and haven't really noticed a difference in hardiness since. None of them contracted ich, none of them skipped eating and none of them randomly wore out.

Just some food for thought.

OCDP
07-14-2006, 05:52 PM
EDIT: I see you're planning for a larger tank now? How about saying that up front. You can't expect people not to jump in when you say you love Sailfin tangs, and we all are thinking you're planning a cube. The responsibility lies with the communicator to make sure his ideas are understood.

AJ, you are right. I did not communicate my best, and I apologize for this. I have been playing with ideas since yesterday (as you must have all seen the tank dimensions thread) I have been playing with length over width, but nothing written in stone yet. I didn't expect to be jumped on because I said "I love sailfins" . I think it is irrational to jump on me because of that statement. However, if I would have said "I love sailfins, perhaps I'll look into one of those" OR something to that effect, I would completely understand. However, all's I said was "I love Sailfins" . I never implied that I will add one. So.. I will do my best from here on in to communicate more clearly with fellow canreefers. My aplogies once again.

Scott

OCDP
07-14-2006, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the post Albert. Appreciate it.

Johnny Reefer
07-14-2006, 05:54 PM
I'd also appreacite if people wouldn't PM me to hound on me about this thread. Also, please don't PM me saying I have bought an anemone and haven't done the research until after it was purchased. Please read more carefully.. because if you did, you would see that I haven't purchased the anemone yet. And I am doing my reserach and reading PRIOR to purchasing it.

Thanks. Firstly I wasn't hounding you. Just speaking my mind on your daily change of plans and how it is hard to keep with you when you change your mind so much.....particulary when the questions you pose don't include information about those change of plans. That would be good to know to provide an acceptable answer. And I chose to PM you to keep this little spat between you and me.
As for the anemone...Well you talked about it like it was a done deal and that you were getting it, and you mentioned where you were getting it from, and that it'd be dropped off on Monday. Pretty much a verbal contract commitment in my mind.
Anyway, I was only trying to help with my post in your Tang thread, here. I guess we just don't speak the same language.
Once again...good luck.

Edit: I too would like to apologize for any confusion here. Like I said....I guess Scott and I just don't speak the same language. That's not to say either of us are bad folk....we're just not on the same page.

Scott: I'll leave it to others to help you out from now on. That's a promise.

and cheers,

OCDP
07-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Mark. The difference is that I AM doing my research on this anemone. I would give you every right to get on my case if I had purchased this anemone first, then came to the canreefers for input. That would be totally my fault. But how can you get on my case when I am doing everything by the books? I am reading a ton of information, and asking a ton of questions before the anemone is brought to me. I have always loved anemones and I have had great success with the ones I have kept thus far. I know this thread has gone off topic, but oh well. I want to prove that I do my research and read before I purhcase livestock.

Also, I don't have daily change of plans.. I never had plans set in stone in the first place, so I am not sure where your coming from. I am simply playing with dimensions. I have apologized for my lack of communication.

And I have to ask. Why is it so bad that I do plan on buying this anemone on a specific date from a specific person? What does that have to do with anything? I gave myself a whole week to do research and gather as much info as possible. I am trying my best to gain as much information as possible. I have posted questions on wet web media, Reef central, and Canreef. So, I'd really like to know why you think this is such a big deal that I have a "verbal contract commitment" ? I think a lot of us have verbal contract commitments on Canreef. We made the arrangement for drop-off on Monday (the seller just happens to be in the area that morning). I'm just not sure what the big deal is here that's all... and just to prove I AM doing research and gaining some information here.. here are a few links I posted yesterday on RC : http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=885123

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=885121

I also have a question posted and replied by Bob Fenner on S. Haddoni. I can't give a direct link as it's all on one page of questions. Here's another great resource I gained for information on S. Haddoni.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/carpetanemones.htm

naesco
07-14-2006, 07:02 PM
IMO the obvious choice for a suitable ized tank is the yellow tang for the following reasons.
1. they are cheap and readily available so that you can choose a alert, fat, healthy one with clear eyes, free of spots or tears or reddening. One that is as interested in you as you are in it.
2. They are from Hawaii. Too many tangs are from the Philippines and Indonesia where the use of cyanide is rampant.
3. Provided that they are not in the same tank as one of their species or another yellow shaped fish like a lemon angel, they are relatively peaceful.
4. Feeding is easy and inexpensive. Nori soake with garlic extract and or selcon from time to time.
5. Although many have 'black ich", you can see it on the fish and it is treatable with a fresh water dip.

seashells
07-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Hey Scott
I thought your question was very clear. You did not mention anything regarding tank size, just for the home aquarium. You wanted to know which tangs in other owners opinions were the most hardy. I guess the home aquarium can be anything from a 5gal nano to a 1000 gal setup or however much bling you have. IMO I think the yellow sailfin is pretty hardy. Your final choice should you decide on adding a tang will likely come down to tank size.

Doug

Johnny Reefer
07-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Yes, I know you are doing research and that's great.
Maybe I'm missing something and didn't read the thread on this correctly, but it seemed to me that you arranged with the seller to purchase the anemone before you started the research. Even though the transaction wasn't complete, the arrangement is the verbal contract. And we all know how everyone feels about people backing out of deals. So, in my mind, it's no different really than if the transaction was complete. If a person says to another that they are going to buy something from them, then they have essentially bought it, IMO. I would have done the research first, then made the arrangement. If that meant it would've been too late....then I'd be patient and wait for another opportunity, or look at ordering one from my LFS.

As well, now correct me if I am wrong, but did you not buy an anemone some months back (about 8 or 10 months ago) without even knowing what kind of anemone it was? I recall there being a thread regarding your research toward finding out the type of an anemone you had bought locally by way of a private sale. Research done after the fact. I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but take a mental note of this. I hope you can understand that this caused me to suspect a pattern.

So long story short....these are observations that I've had and maybe I'm totally out to lunch on all of it and if so then I apologize profusely. It's a complicated hobby and I can understand the temptation to "jump the gun" so to speak. Patience is a virtue in this hobby.

I also want to say that we CanReefers like to help each other out and sometimes it is hard to help when we feel we have to bite our tongues regarding topics of a sensitive nature. Having said that....I realize you are doing the research. I just think the timing of your research is a little off, that's all.

So please take this as constructive critizism. You've asked where I'm coming from and I've told you. I could have just as easily have ignored this and gone on with my day. Like I said, maybe I'm the only one with these observations and am totally out of place and if so...my humble apologies to you. And it's not meant to be personal either. I am sure you are a fine person and it is clear that you are well liked by many CanReefers.
Actually, if I may attempt to end this on a positive, I like the "HaHa's" you put into your posts. I know other people do it, but you have a knack for doing it that adds a cheery persona to your character.

Cheers,

Willow
07-14-2006, 07:48 PM
you would be hard pressed to find a hardier tang than a yellow, kole or scopas. out of those 3 the kole will actively hunt, clean rocks and glass looking for algae. all 3 should also cost less than 30 bucks just about anywhere.

OCDP
07-14-2006, 07:52 PM
PM Sent.

And just to clarify so the rest know full well here.

I never purchased that BTA without knowing what it was. It was sold as a BTA, and I knew full well it was BTA. Once I posted pictures of it, others started pointing out that it resembles a Ritteri (because of the shapes of the tentacles). It was other peoples posts that started to make me think otherwise. I was cofident it was a BTA, just one variety I have never seen much of .

I understand where your coming from now on the whole "make the arrangements to buy it, then research" Well, that's not the whole deal on this.. I mean, I am technically not doing anything wrong here.. and am making damn sure I know how to take care of this thing. I mean, how much can a person read on a single species of anemone? I think 7 days is plenty. I have been reading constantly... and all my readings now are starting to sound the same.. I think I have read more than enough. I don't think S. Haddoni is all that hard to care for, I think they have a low survival rate due to reefers lack of research . Lack of research leads to lack of neccessary requirements ,etc... I meet all the requirements (other than the temporary 20g) Anywhoo, we'll keep this out of the thread now...

No hard feelings... I was tired, no coffee, no cig, no breakfast :lol: ...that's most likely why my lack of communication and defensiveness came into play. My apologies once again.

Scott

OCDP
07-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the post Willow. Those Kole tangs are beauties.. and the fact that they hunt and help clean the rocks is an added bonus for reefers I suppose.

Scopas are yet another beautiful Tang. (They're all nice looking fish really) Cool body colouration. :wink:

Willow
07-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the post Willow. Those Kole tangs are beauties.. and the fact that they hunt and help clean the rocks is an added bonus for reefers I suppose.

Scopas are yet another beautiful Tang. (They're all nice looking fish really) Cool body colouration. :wink:

if you want a really cool kole look for a blue eyed one, they are from the indian ocean i think, they have poka dots instead of stripes. very cool personalities.

rickjames
07-14-2006, 09:03 PM

I have only had one tang, a Sohal, and I can attest his hardyness. Isn't skittish at all, in fact, sometimes i give him a swat on the tail when i am playing in the tank because he won't get out of my way!

As for getting along with tank mates, umm, just fine if you only want one tang :lol: . But the way I think of it is, would you rather have 2-3 Hyundais or one Ferrari? :mrgreen:

If we are talking about hardiest and aquarium suitability though, I would say the yellow tang or the scopas wins hands down.

danny zubot
07-14-2006, 09:31 PM
would you rather have 2-3 Hyundais or one Ferrari? :mrgreen:

If a Sohal is a farrari, then what is a Regal, or a Naso?

I sense a new debate coming on!!!!:mrgreen:

reeferaddict
07-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Careful people! I think the Tang Police are monitoring this thread... hopefully they never see MY tank!

Mark & OCDP I think you guys gotta get together & smoke a fatty... then you'll both experience REAL reefing!

Personally, I think I'm gonna get a Sailfin and try it in a 2g nano... I heard somewhere they're fine as long as they can turn around.... :mrgreen:

People! This is a hobby board where we ask questions and learn from each other! If we flame people AND are too sensitive to a little criticism then maybe it's time for Ritalin? You guys have a nap and get up on the OTHER side of the bed next time... :biggrin:

Anyways - I have had a Yellow, Purple, and Powder Blue for over 18 months... and woe is me if I dare stick my hand in the tank without food! A cleaner wrasse seems to keep them all free of parasites... but that's a whole other can of worms...

*INSERTS SPOON... STIRS!!!*

OCDP
07-14-2006, 09:59 PM
Ahaha, when in doubt... roll a fatty . :surprise: :mrgreen: :Fade-col:

rickjames
07-14-2006, 11:02 PM

Not sure but about the Regal but I would say the Naso is a cadillac. Beautiful, reliable, but huge! :razz:

... not that Sohal's aren't big.

Moogled
07-15-2006, 12:33 AM

Who and what is a FERRARI!?!

:P

reeferaddict
07-15-2006, 01:42 AM
Ahaha, when in doubt... roll a fatty . :surprise: :mrgreen: :Fade-col:

That's the spirit! It's past 4:20 now... nobody should be bitchy... :mrgreen:

albert_dao
07-15-2006, 02:12 AM

Regal = Audi

Naso = BMW

Tomini = Porche

Gem = BUGATTI VEYRON!!!!!1!

Quagmire
07-15-2006, 02:16 AM
Gem = BUGATTI VEYRON!!!!!1!

I saved the episode of topgear when they featured that car.Very nice

Skimmerking
07-15-2006, 04:09 AM
A Achillies is a hard one to keep if you get them relaxed to the tank very timid.

And my Kole Tang loves to eat from the glass...

Ruth
07-15-2006, 05:46 AM
Might as well add my 2 pennies worth. I have a big a$$ Blonde Naso tang that is the only tang in my 190g and he is a pussy cat. The only thing he will eat is Nori and grape calurpa and it has to be attached to a clip - not free floating. He has never show any sign of ich or other disease and is plump and bright eyed.
I have a Hippo/Regal and a Yellow tang in my 230g - again both healthy and never a sign of disease. I had a Kole tang in this tank as well but unfortunately he perished for unknown reasons. I am sure it was not ich as no other fish in the tank got sick. The Hippo just cruises the length and of the tank (fast) and likes to splash me when I am sitting at the computor beside the tank. The yellow is a mean SOB and has killed a very weak Moorish Idol that I was talked into taking and tried to kill the one I still have in my 190g.
My dream tang would be an achilles but if I get one it will be only after I have a well established quarentine of a suitable size set up as from my research they are almost guarenteed to get ich.
As for the previous discussion I have to admit that when I first started reading the thread Scott I must say you did sound a bit defensive but hey we have all been there. I think that Johnny Reefers point regarding the anemone was what would you have done if after agreeing to purchase the anemone and arranging for delivery (or pick up) and found that you were unable to house it properly? I commend you for doing research as that is more than a lot of people do and I am sure your intentions are very good. I think the point is to research before you make a commitment to purchase. Enough said.

StirCrazy
07-15-2006, 09:03 PM
A Achillies is a hard one to keep if you get them relaxed to the tank very timid.

the best tang I have had was a achillies, when I had my yellow I never saw him when I was close to the tank, my sailfin was good but gave him away as I knew he would outgrow my tank, the achillies, was care free, beautiful and actually ate algae:mrgreen: down fall is achillies is about 100.00 and you need to have a high water quality as in 0 nitrates or close to it.. but I had mine for two years not a spot of ich, mind you I have never seen ich on any tangs I have had, and always out and swimming about.

Steve

EmilyB
07-16-2006, 07:49 AM
The Achilles is one of the most difficult species to keep, they come from high surge areas and you can consider yourself very lucky to keep one alive, or next, content.

A good link: http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/surgeonfishcare/l/blpickachillest.htm

I would have to agree the scopas or yellow, the Zebrasoma species in general perhaps, are very hardy.

Skimmerking
07-16-2006, 02:12 PM
The Achilles is one of the most difficult species to keep, they come from high surge areas and you can consider yourself very lucky to keep one alive, or next, content.

A good link: http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/surgeonfishcare/l/blpickachillest.htm

I would have to agree the scopas or yellow, the Zebrasoma species in general perhaps, are very hardy.

I Was just stating that a Achillies is a hard fish to take care of. I should have been more clearer on that.

StirCrazy
07-16-2006, 05:45 PM

Maybe the 120X flow rate in my tank had something to do with it. the Achillies is what I am going to get again as soon as the new tank has cycled, but thanks for the link I will read it adter I finnish painting the room the tank is in today.

Steve