PDA

View Full Version : Gold's Aquarium

Tau2301
10-03-2002, 12:07 AM
I everyone, I was at Gold's Aqyuarium last weekend and was plesantly surprized at the changes.

He now has 4 large tanks of fish and corals, his usual 8 small tanks for just for fish, 2 huge live rock tanks, and a 10g nano at the very back.

If you haven't been out that way (not wai)for a while I would suggest you take some time and have a look. Prices are very good for the fish. I didn't ask about the corals.

Delphinus
10-03-2002, 01:04 AM
This is the one in (or near) Forest Lawn, right? (I can't remember.) I've never been to this one. How do you get to their store? Would like to check it out sometime soon.

thanks

Bob I
10-03-2002, 12:51 PM
Maybe I am dreaming, but is Gold's not in the North on Centre St.? I guess I will look in the new phone book. :D :D

Canadian Man
10-03-2002, 02:14 PM
Tony,
Take deerfoot to 17th and take 17th east into forest lawn. It's on the left hand side of the road in a strip mall. Sorry I cant be more specific to where it is but I didnt pay much attention to what it was close to last time I was there.

They do have fair prices though.

Bob, It's for sure in the S.E. :D

Delphinus
10-03-2002, 03:42 PM
Bob, I wonder if you're thinking of "Ocean's Aquarium" which is on Centre St. just a little north of 16th.

For some reason, I get those two places mixed up as well. Maybe it's because their names as so similar.

Whichever one is on Center St., I've been to that one, there is a saltwater section worth taking the occasional peek at..

Thanks for the info Jon, that gives me a general idea. I can always look up the specific address in the phone book if I can't find it.

cheers

wayner
10-03-2002, 06:25 PM
Does Gold's carry Acropora?

Tau2301
10-03-2002, 09:40 PM
Follow Canadian Man's directions. It's in the same strip mall as the Pizza Hut. If you get to American International (Bob)you've gone to far.

Does Gold's carry Acropora?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I didn't notice as I was looking at the fish and seahorses.

Canadian Man
10-04-2002, 02:03 AM
Wayner,
They didn't last time I was there and I dont suspect they will now.

Most "halfway" salt shops wouldn't ever venture in that direction, or at least they may have tried acro corals on the way to where they are now.
Good water conditions, bright light, many places don't do this well.

So I believe to answer your question, No.
Wai's, frag trading or mailorder I believe is the only way to go here in our fair city.

[ 03 October 2002, 22:04: Message edited by: Canadian Man ]

wayner
10-04-2002, 01:44 PM
Thank You!, anyone know of any Reefer in the City that Sells frags? Could you please let me know, I'm always interested in buying Acro Frags.

Thanks

Delphinus
10-05-2002, 12:44 AM
Just about any of us, really. :D

I've got some frags I'm currently trying to grow out (some acros and some montis). I've also got some larger pieces I could always break a branch off if someone was interested.

We're past due for one of our get-togethers. Maybe I should host the next one for October. I'll have to figure out a date. Sooo ... I guess let me just say for now, more details to follow soon.

cheers

wayner
10-05-2002, 02:18 AM
Sounds Good, let me know, what color Acros?, names?, Thanks

Delphinus
10-17-2002, 08:35 PM
So I played a little hooky at work today at lunchtime and went for a little exploring.

Finally found Gold's Aquarium.... "Closed Thursdays" !!!! :x

Oh well. Another day.

Am currently looking for a Red Sea Sailfin Tang (Z. desjardinii). I'm starting to feel bad about this though, because the Pacific Sailfin tang (Z. veliferum) is all over the city with fantastic deals, and here I am saying "no" because I'm holding out for "the one with spots on the cheeks." What is wrong with me, how selfish is this? Such cute little babies sailfins at Big Al's (a mere $35).

BTW, I don't know the names of the acro frags that I have available for trade. But I can describe them... there are purple acros, green tip acros (thin branch), some purple Montipora digitata, a piece or two of yellow M. digitata, mmmaybe one piece of red/orange/pink (depends on who you ask) M. digitata, some Montipora capnicornis (orange/rose tips). There are always xenia, mushrooms, and macroalgaes to anyone who wants some ...

I'd prefer to trade for other SPS if possible...

Tau2301
10-17-2002, 11:48 PM
Tony I forgot to mention that Gold's is closed on Thursday for re-stocking.

That right, fresh fish on Fridays. Sounds like it has some sort of religious connotations. :wink:

AJ_77
10-18-2002, 03:42 AM
"Fresh fish on Fridays..." Ugh, what memories! :shock:

Tony - Did you see the baby Clown Tang he had in there? Fifty bucks. And the Angels!! 4 Passers, 4 Blueface, a couple Emperor, Regals, Majestic, Queens, all at once? His supplier having a clearance sale???

Man, I stopped on the way home to grab a couple Scarlet Reef Hermits and snails, and of course had to put my face against his fish tanks. I was glad to see a "mostly healthy-looking" shipment today. Haven't been in there for awhile. :roll:

Of course now I want a nice FO tank. :oops: Man, that is some little supermarket when it's working. One tiny shop, 75 fish, one week... :(

(I just want 4 or so...) And that makes me: PartoftheProblem(TM)

Alan :?

EmilyB
10-18-2002, 04:04 AM
who is it this week ? :D

Canadian Man
10-18-2002, 05:33 AM
Yes, do tell as I have no idea who you fellows are speaking of :?

AJ_77
10-18-2002, 05:47 AM
Deb & Jon, there's no wai that aquarium enthusiasts like you can be in the dark as to who this is.

Is there? :wink: (Heck, Deb won't shop there anyways.)

Aj

Delphinus
10-18-2002, 05:57 AM
I don't know .... I saw a few things in there that made me a bit depressed ... unusually good prices or no. One should probably never witness an order just arriving....

EmilyB
10-18-2002, 06:12 AM
I think I am passing my anniversary mark actually...took my daughter for the vietnamese restaurant, awesome..... and hit the hobby shop. Walked right by.... :P

Bad advice, saying "they are only fish" or "why do you bother to care so much"........

Just my choice. :D

Canadian Man
10-18-2002, 06:51 AM
I Can See....I Can See!!!!!
8)
It's got dat bite to it though!

LOL. :roll:

Now I understand.

waisabe

Delphinus
10-18-2002, 03:53 PM
> waisabe

Lol .... Waisssahhhhhhh--bee!!! Whaaaazzzzuupppp??!!!

Heehee... :lol:

Bob I
10-18-2002, 04:03 PM
I am thinking of the NE near a hamburger joint. I was there the other day and picked up a Neon Goby for my nano. thirty bucks for a one inch fish. I must have been on drugs. :oops:

AJ_77
10-19-2002, 01:04 AM
Good drugs Bob? :wink: I know just what you mean though - you get to staring at the amazing little swimmer in there, and you just gotta have it... Next thing you know, you're cursing your lack of willpower, empty wallet and the proprietor for taking you. :lol:

Ah well, hopefully this one will be long-lived. :? Is it eating? Any pictures yet (they would have to be CLOSE-ups)??

Cheers,

Alan :D

Bob I
10-19-2002, 02:09 AM
I don't know if he is eating, but there are a goodly number of pods in there he can chase and eat. :D :D

Bob I
10-22-2002, 09:14 PM
I would like to mention (to get back on the original topic) that I was at Gold's today.

There were a some things I did not like. The first of which is there are no prices on the tanks. There would have been one fish I might have bought, but he was in a tank of corals, and I would have no idea how to catch him.

The design of the Mini Reef was awesome, but the lighting was far too low as was evidenced by the Red Mushrooms stretching for light.

There were some very nice corals, but without prices it is hard to compare.

So I went to the LSOH's, and bought a very small Six Line wrasse.
:cry: :cry:

Delphinus
10-22-2002, 09:23 PM
You bought a baby 6-line too? So did I!! Small world. Is it a case of "great minds think alike" or is it a case of "fools seldom differ" ??? :eek: Maybe it's better not to go there! :)

Mine is a tiny wee thing. Spends a lot of time darting in and out of the rocks. He looks to be quite comfortable in his new surroundings.

Congrats on your new addition! :)

Bob I
10-22-2002, 09:56 PM
I prefer the first definition. :D My little guy is no more than 3/4 inch long is you don't count the tail. I put him in the nano with the Neon Goby, who now looks big. :D

AJ_77
10-24-2002, 01:19 AM
I too bought a 6-line, for the old 90. I sincerely hope yours both outlive that one by years and years... It lasted 7 days. :cry:

Ah well, my fault.

Alan

Bob I
10-24-2002, 04:04 AM
I would not be that concerned about the demise of the six line. I am not certain as to their hardiness. I bought one once that lasted two days. :? I then bought another that I saw swimming for a few days, and then went MIA. :x To this day I don't know what happened. We will see how this one makes out.