PDA

View Full Version : propagation system for sps.

djbh
12-24-2001, 09:10 PM
Hi all,
Am starting a prop system I have a 55,33,25.The 33 and the 25 are well established (3 years) with aragamax oolite.Live-rock and all.I want to plumb the 55 into both.Making it a 3 part system.
Is it better for the 33 and 25 to overflow into the 55 or vice versa.
Should I leave the prop tank bare bottom and make racks for elevation of SPS.

Anyone have pics of their systems to start me off?
Thanks
Dan

DJ88
12-24-2001, 09:51 PM
Hi dan,

Welcome to the board..

The best guy to talk to on here is Marc(fudge) He has run a prop system before.

He woud lgive you the best indication of what to do.

Shadetree
12-25-2001, 02:02 AM
Can't elaborate right now but here are his old pics http://www.shadetree.homestead.com/Fudge.html

Scott

SuperFudge
12-26-2001, 05:49 PM
Hey Dan,Welcome aboard! images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

There are a bunch of scenarios that you can do,some are more efficient/practical than others.

I can probably help you with ideas if you could answer a couple of Q`s for me:

-How much room do you have for your proposed set up(an available footprint)?

-Do you only plan on using the same equipment you have for these original three tanks,or are you upgrading pump size and /or lighting?

-Are the existing tanks drilled/can be drilled?

-All tanks will be devoted to SPS?

-Do you have/is there going to be a sump?

Marc.

[ 26 December 2001: Message edited by: Fudge ]

djbh
12-27-2001, 12:23 AM
Hey Mark,
Have about a whole wall 12 feet.Was actually thinking about having my 55 gallon on a stand with my 25 gallon underneath as the main filtration tank.However will a 25 be able to support the whole system?Both tanks are not drilled,but will do so. I Have a diamond drill bit.Was actually going to buy a 40 breeder ,but saw an add for a 55 gallon.It is new,no scratches,6 months old.45$ So I took it.
Was thinking of going bare bottom in this one with eggcrate to elevate the frags in stages.
Lighting will be 1 250 MH Iwasaki,with 2 actinics.
Over the sump NO Fluo.
The thing is the 25 is used presently to cycle 60 lbs of LR,The sand is well stocked.
Hate the sound of overflows(external) will definately use a corner overflow in my 55,however do not know if I am going to use in sump or inline return pump.Might go for a mag 12.
What advantage or diadvantage is there in having the 55 feed the sump or vice versa having the 25 feed the sump.
If propagating I guess I should need the largest space possible.
Have seen people using 25 gallon tanks as prop tanks,but with LR and sand and all it gets crowded.
However have been told it is best to prop sps in a main tank which is well established.???
Want a prop tank so I can frag,trade.My current tank has 20 sps frags,with 4 large colonies.Want some place for them to live quiet and to grow,without competition.

From your experience is a prop tank better off without fish,snails(astrea,nassarius),crabs(emerald).

My 35 gallon tank is established for over 3.5 years,should I leave it be or use it.Is it worth it for the extra gallons.

An ideal setup would be to use all 3 tanks.
The 55 25 and 35.
lots of questions.
Would like to do it right from the start.
thanks
Dan

djbh
12-27-2001, 10:47 PM
Thanks for responding Mark.
Nice to get the feedback.
Do you place your frags on the sanbed directly?What do you prefer to mount them to?
Some use plugs,chunks of LR,concrete,rocks.
Some of these must be a pain when comes time to mount for good.You have to break them off.(SPS)
Can a mag 12 be installed in sump?
The noise....of external pumps.
My current setup is a 75 gallon with 25 gallon sump,I use a 3mdqxsc for return.
one return is fed to a 3/4 sea-swirl,the other is fed to my skimmer.That is all I have in terms of water circulation.The current is brisk,had to move my hammer,torch and xenia around,cause the current was keeping them closed.
In this tank I wonder if the circulation is enough.
You mentioned that a mag 12 was alright for the prop tank if used with powerheads,I always wonder how much is enough?
What is a good circulation for a SPS prop tank?
Hey thanks for your time in answering.
Dan

SuperFudge
12-28-2001, 04:57 AM
Hiya Dan,

You can place any of the tanks you wish below another,but the lowest point of water will act as your sump.....so it is difficult to use it as a prop tank too,with water levels fluctuating and a heavier water flow(the total volume thru all tanks will pass thru)it is also hard to light this lower one properly(especially for SPS) needing the extra room for halide or heavy lighting.....so you end up making your stand to accomodate room for the lighting,but then you also need to upgrade pumps to get to the higher tanks,or in the least losing head.

If you do not think you will be adding a whole lot more in the way of tanks on to this system,IMVHO it would be best to use the 25 as your sump(should be fine handling the extra water from the 35 & 55)if it is ran at about 1/3+ full as your sump.
And place 35 and 55 side by side as prop tanks(make tank tops flush not the bottoms)
You will have to drill sump for the mag 12 intake,(should be ok size if power heads are also used for circ.)
If your tanks are side by side like this,they still can be seperated incase of emergency(one tank crashing or w.h.y.)and ran as normal thru the sump.....without shutting down the whole system.
By using a tee and valves on the pump feed line,and each tank having its own line down to a common sump.

You might be able to toss a couple of live rocks in it so they dont take up room in the main tanks.

Its more practical to place them all stacked if you dont have the extra room becuase this way a smaller main pump can be used...only feeding the top tank,and gravity feeding the ones below,......!BUT! this also makes for huge headaches when fragging and placing,lighting,general maintanence and others...

Also MVHO,to have a nice sandbed in each of the proptanks for this reason...if they are seperated,they still have some filtration when cut off from the other tank.
Food(pods)for the SPS also loves the sandbeds.

Racks are alright i guess,personally i would avoid them if you have good light,for me they just become something extra to keep free of nasty algeas(snails cant fit in the small squares)
It doesnt really give you any extra room as the space below just becomes dark anyways when the shelf is loaded with frags.
They also are difficult,when frags grow onto it(wich will happen images/smiles/icon_wink.gif)Softies are worse!
You have to somehow get frags off with side cutters or a razor when they are attached to a whole shelf.
I have placed these shelfs only on the outskirts of the lighting,but the footprint of my frag tank is 28"x40",so your 55 will have way more light on the edges than mine with the same amount of light.

HTH,Marc.

[ 27 December 2001: Message edited by: Fudge ]