PDA

View Full Version : Ich or not

Bartman
07-12-2006, 01:44 AM
About 2 weeks ago my Royal Gramma suddenly had a few grains of "salt" stuck to her side and tail fins. I was going to ask the forum whether it was possible for a 4 year old fish in a tank that has never had a disease and has had nothing added lately to get Ich but....the next day the spots were mostly gone. Now, yesterday evening I noticed she had some spots on her head and mouth and in her tail fin. Today they are gone again. This doesn't seem like Ich and the fish acts and eats normally so I'm not sure I should even be concerned. Any idea what it might be?

Skimmer Juice
07-12-2006, 03:47 AM
It's most likely to be ich.I have a longhorn cowfish for a year and a half.The same thing happened to me.A few spots here and there.They always went away.Last week I added a rock and all of a sudden my cow is covered in ich bad.He has never had it more than a few spots. So I think it is possible I would qt him and treat with cupramine.Before it gets out of hand like mine.Hopefully I can save them, I have a strong feeling the cupramine will fix my problem.It is the only thing I have ever seem beat ich.Hope this helps

marie
07-12-2006, 03:59 AM
Is the fish flashing/scratching at all? Is she breathing faster? It could be that she is just picking up grains of sand

muck
07-12-2006, 05:01 AM
I was thinking sand as well.

guysmiley
07-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Sound too quick to be ich....

Here's a link on some Ich information. The last thing you want to do is panic. Before treating for anything, make sure that you properly ID the problem or you'll cause more stress on you and the tank.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

Garrick.

Bartman
07-14-2006, 02:23 AM
The fish is not flashing or rubbing and appears to not be suffering any symptoms of any disease. She does sleep in a cave lined with anything she can pick up and stuff in there. I've even found pieces of elastic that were used to hold some GSP to a rock. I thought maybe she got something in there. Also, I'm somewhat familiar with the Ich life cycle but I've never had it in my tank so I'm not sure exactly what it looks like. The spots did seem to be imbedded in her fins though...