PDA

View Full Version : Excess Nori

Bartman
07-12-2006, 01:37 AM
I was just wondering; will excess nori pollute your tank like other foods? It's just seaweed but I know my fish don't eat it all before it ends up getting blown around the tank.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-12-2006, 03:22 AM
Give them less nori &/or less often. Yes, any uneaten food will pollute your tank.

Psyire
07-12-2006, 03:26 AM
If you aren't folding it up a lot before clipping it, try that. It will keep it together longer and give them a chance to eat it slowly.

Geofrog
07-12-2006, 03:35 PM
I find my tangs tend to eat a fair amount at first but then leave some, which ends up floating about the tank. During the day the go and graze it until it is all gone. So I don't find that a bit of nori floating in the tank really pollutes it as it does get eaten throughout the day. Just my opinion.

OCDP
07-12-2006, 03:40 PM
I've always gone by the rule that it is always better to feed too little rather than too much.

TheReefGeek
07-12-2006, 04:44 PM
It would be better if all the nori was eaten, as suggested go smaller amounts of nori. You could try smaller amounts more often, they might eat more that way too.

It also depends on you system, to me some left over nori isn't going to cause a problem, but in smaller systems with smaller skimmers, no fugesetc, over time it might contribute enough waste to cause undesireable algae blooms.

Bartman
07-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Well, I have started feeding less, which seems to have solved the problem but has created another. I need to get gloves now because I am feeding more often and I barely get the clip stuck to the side before my Foxface comes at it all spines and fury. :grab:

TheReefGeek
07-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Yeah I can hand feed my foxface he is such a pig for food, shoots right up to the surface of the water, I can hand feed him flake food even.

impreza
07-12-2006, 11:28 PM
OT: Where can I buy nori in Calgary? What is it labelled as?

Psyire
07-12-2006, 11:36 PM
I just buy 'Seaweed Selects' or Big Al's carry their own brand of packaged seaweed. You can also feed blanched dandylion greens if you really want.

howdy20012002
07-12-2006, 11:43 PM
I buy mine at Superstore
20 sheets for 3.50
it is the unsalted type in the green packaging found in the oriental section.
MUCH MUCH cheaper and the same thing
it is used for sushi
Neal

marie
07-13-2006, 12:15 AM
You can get nori in the grocery stores in the oriental section (it's sushi wrap). Just don't get the seasoned stuff :biggrin:

EmilyB
07-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Drill a hole in a small piece of PVC, use airline hose or another safe type of cord and tie the PVC to your clip. Strap the nori on securely with a rubber band, attach the clip to the outside of the tank, and you'll never have to put your hands in the tank. :biggrin:

muck
07-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Drill a hole in a small piece of PVC, use airline hose or another safe type of cord and tie the PVC to your clip. Strap the nori on securely with a rubber band, attach the clip to the outside of the tank, and you'll never have to put your hands in the tank. :biggrin:
I have the same setup except using mono fishing line attached to the PVC piece.

Reefer Rob
07-14-2006, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the tip Emily! Even just dipping my fingers in kills my skimmer, and my Foxface has no table manners :D I did a slight variation. I tied a nylon string between the suction cup and the clip and hung the clip inside the aquarium.

Rob