PDA

View Full Version : Lotsa Green Film Algae. From New Lights?

OCDP
07-12-2006, 01:30 AM
I'm getting a lot of green film algae on the tank walls. Is this from the switch in lights? Went from 150w HQI, to 250w HQI.

I can't think of anything else that would cause the bloom...

TIA
Scott

Johnny Reefer
07-12-2006, 05:29 AM
I'd say yes.
Try incorporating an "overcast" day or two per week into your lighting sched.
Not all days are sunny. "Overcast" simulates a cloudy day and will help keep algae in check.
Edit: To simulate this...leave the lights off.

Cheers:smile:,

OCDP
07-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks Mark. I figured it should be from the lights otherwise I would be clueless as to why I got the algae bloom.

I will cut back my lighting period tomorrow.

Cheers,
Scott

muck
07-12-2006, 02:39 PM
By adding more intense lighting you just threw your tank balance off. The result is increased algae growth. Give it time and it should stabilize again. :wink:

OCDP
07-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Awesome. Thanks, Ryan.

Funny thing is .. the 250w HQI doesn't really seem all that much brighter comapred to 150w HQI. I mean, there is a noiticable difference but I for sure would have thought it would have been a lot brighter.

Quick DE bulb question. When you place the bulb in your pendant, there is that little metal part inside. Does this metal part face up towards the reflector or facing downwards , facing the water surface. I am just curious if it makes a difference in intensity or anything? Would anyone know anything about this?? I'm a bulb newbie.

muck
07-12-2006, 03:10 PM
There is only one way to put the bulbs into the socket. At least from the bulbs I have seen..

OCDP
07-12-2006, 03:15 PM
lol then I guess that answers my question... I could have sworn there was two ways. Was I clear in my post? If not I'll try to get a pic and show you what I am talking about .

muck
07-12-2006, 03:26 PM
It only lets you put it in one way as it has ceramic on the top of the ends.
*Note this is a side view. The top faces towards the Upper Left corner of the pic.
http://www.reefgeek.com/product_images/ushio/250W_20K+_double-ended_b.jpg

On a side note: With DE bulbs never ever touch the glass with your fingers!!

OCDP
07-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Yeah I think I am confusing myself now. I can't even describe what I am talking about really. Inside the bulb is like a metal strip, and when the way the bulb is in my pendant, the metal strip is facing down towards the water surface, I thought it should be facing up towards the reflector so it reflects better? I am probably way out to lunch here.

muck
07-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Did a google search for Hamilton DE bulbs but can't confirm this is what yours looks like. Maybe you can though.

http://diyreef.com/shop/images/hqi250lg.JPG

OCDP
07-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Hmm, nope I don't think so, but hell I haven't paid real close attention to the bulb. I'll let you know, I mean.. it can't really be in the "wrong" way otherwise it wouldn't be working . I think I am just looking into it too much.. I just thought that because the metal part is facing down that it's not being reflected as well as it could be. I wouldn't doubt that I am just out to lunch though ahahha....

TheReefGeek
07-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Do some water changes to help with the algae too, especially with your new anemone coming soon.

OCDP
07-12-2006, 05:50 PM
I should have noted from the start, I am only getting green film algae on the glass only. It's not blooming anywhere else.

I will definitely be doing a couple water changes before the anemone arrives.