PDA

View Full Version : Help with frags, about to lose Capnella. Put them in too early.

kwirky
07-11-2006, 04:04 AM
Common noob mistake made.

It's a bit of an impatience mistake too. I cycled my liverock, everything was testing 0, so I went to the LFS (Gold's) to ask whether I should turn the lights on or not. Albert there said the liverock's cycled now, and suggested I get some frags of easy to look after, photosynthetic corals. I got Capnella, Sarcophytoa (Toadstool), and Echinophyllia. He just said don't feed them for a month because they're photosynthetic.

My water paramaters have been great, but now the diatoms are showing up, and I'm wishing I never got those frags so early. Hair algae's starting to show up a little bit too. I tested my water (aquarium pharmeceuticals) and ammonia was 0, nitrite was 0, and nitrate was hard to tell if it was 5ppm or 0ppm (I'm an artist myself, and I find most colour charts for test kits horrible due to printing processes. It's like "wth? It's NONE of these colours! lol). I tested RO water, and it was hard to tell if it was 0 or 5ppm of nitrate too lol.

Now the problem is the scar tissue area of the frags are starting to get algae on them. Daily, I've been blowing them off lightly with a baster. The Capnella is really showing stress and it's deteriorating at it's scar tissue.

http://www.esopenko.com/images/aquarium/nano/capnellastressed.jpg
you can notice at the base it's turning white. The one branch is hanging by a tiny bit, and one little branch has fallen off already.

I've got two frags of Sarcophytoa. This one's doing quite well against the algae, but it's polyp tips aren't coming out.
http://www.esopenko.com/images/aquarium/nano/sarcophytoa01.jpg

the second Sarcophytoa is not doing as well. It's base tissue, where it was cut, has diatoms on it, and there's few strands of hair algae on it.
http://www.esopenko.com/images/aquarium/nano/sarcophytoa02.jpg

the echinophyllia is doing quite well. You can notice the new tissue it's forming at it's base. Only been a week.
http://www.esopenko.com/images/aquarium/nano/echinophyllia.jpg

I know not to repeat this situation again, but I don't know how to help these frags. One connection I can make is I increased the water flow in the tank. I read an article in advanced aquarist that high water flow is important to corals, and so I did the same. The next day, come to think of it, the Capnella started showing it's distress.

Here's details on my system, and test parameters.

18" high, 12" deep, 18" long. (16 gallons)
16 gallon sump with heater in sump.
two aqualight mini 9+9 watt lighting (36 watts total).
mag pondmaster 150 gph as sump return. zero head, sump directly attached to tank.
aquaclear 402 powerhead on lowest setting to help with dead spots. (approximately 100 gph).
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
0-5ppm nitrate (hard to tell colour)
unreadable phosphates
5 gallons RO water, rest is tap water. (just started using RO for water changes now. aerated/mixed for a day at least before use)
16 lbs indo rock (suspected to be cultured, but still looks good)
I gave the liverock two thorough swishings in a bucket, to remove any detritus that was on them in the LFS's tank.
today I did a good snowstorming of the tank with the polisher on the aquaclear, using a turkey baster. thought maybe the detritus was starting to decompose causing the spike in nitrates.

the corals themselves are about halfway in the depth of the tank. The way the rock's arranged it doesn't go very high

I think it's too much flow in the display area, so I've just moved the aquaclear powerhead to the sump for surface agitation, and now only the 150 gph mag is driving the water flow of the display area.

albert_dao
07-11-2006, 04:10 AM
Weird... My friend (moogled) started his tank nearing the same time as you and his frags are fine.

In anycase, give the algaed (if that's a word, haha) areas of the toadstool a flush and put it in an area with good current and you should be fine. Toadstools will shed to get rid of algae growing on their tissues on a regular basis.

kwirky
07-11-2006, 04:29 AM
In anycase, give the algaed (if that's a word, haha) areas of the toadstool a flush and put it in an area with good current and you should be fine. Toadstools will shed to get rid of algae growing on their tissues on a regular basis.

ok, I did that once, and saw tissue coming off, and was afraid I damaged it. I'll try that tonight when I do my daily flushing.

Any idea how I can save that Kenya Tree? I lowered the current in the tank to 150 gph so it doesn't break apart. I almost think it's dead, as it's base is completely rotted away.

oh and I can't remember, but does the mother colony of those toadstools have little polyps that come out from the tips of the extensions?

thanks for the fast reply lol

albert_dao
07-11-2006, 04:34 AM
The one at the top of my tank does, the ones at the bottom look the same as what you have. They don't develope much tentacle extention.

As far as the Kenya Tree goes, bring it back to me and I'll hold you one til your tank is ready.