PDA

View Full Version : Bad News: Parasitic Snail Infestation

Samw
12-24-2001, 03:38 AM
I started seeing a whole bunch of tiny white spiral shaped snails yesterday. "Cute!" I thought they were baby Cerith snails. Then today, I noticed that my Tridacna Clam wasn't as happy or active as usual and noticed about 15-20 snails climbing all over it. Hm, I better check the Internet, I told myself. I searched the archives and found out that these snails are parasitic.

This link has some info on the Pyramidellidae snails in my tank.
http://www.exotictropicals.com/encyclo/fishnchips/sept99/fnc0999.html

So I took the clam out and brushed the snails off with a toothbrush. I don't know if the clam is going to make it though. The clam, though still alive, looks weak and there probably are more snails in the tank.

I read that blue legged hermit crabs will eat them. If so, its time for me to buy about 25 or so of them.

Shadetree
12-24-2001, 03:50 AM
Sam,

That really sucks to hear. Hopefully it will pull through.

Scott

Troy F
12-24-2001, 10:55 AM
Hi Sam, a six line wrasse is also supposed to be a predator of the parasitic snails.

Aquattro
12-24-2001, 01:49 PM
The problem with six line wrasses is that they sleep at night, and the snails are primarily nocturnal. From all I've read about these snails, diligent manual removal works best. Of course, a wrasse couldn't hurt. It's a good idea to scrub nes clams with a toothbrush before putting it in a tank...there could be snail eggs on it.

Samw
12-27-2001, 12:33 AM
Clam's doing a whole lot better recently. I've been manually removing the white snails and haven't seen any more lately. It is opening up again though it seems to be missing some of its flesh at the bottom. I think its going to make it. If I hadn't noticed the snails were parastic and removed them, I think the clam would have been a goner by now.

[ 26 December 2001: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Shadetree
12-27-2001, 01:32 AM
Sam,

Good to hear it will make it.

Scott