PDA

View Full Version : Genix's 30g tall reef

GrimReefer
07-06-2006, 04:48 PM
hey everyone, i'm new and thought i'd introduce myself by showing off some pics of my reef. it's nice to have found a good canadian aquatics forum! i look forward to becoming part of the community.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/gnx/reef007.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/gnx/reef020.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/gnx/reef003.jpg

danny zubot
07-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Welcome to Canreef! Your tank is very clean looking, how long has it been setup?

Joe Reefer
07-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Welcome to Canreef :biggrin:

Tell us more about your system.

OCDP
07-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Welcome :D

Clean setup indeed... that Pearl Bubble looks *exactly* like a piece I used to have (sold it to another reefer) . I like the simple, clean look.. no clutter.

GrimReefer
07-07-2006, 05:19 AM
thanks guys! it's been about 3 months from the upgrade from my 15 gallon.

Chaloupa
07-07-2006, 05:58 AM
Very nice tank, and like it's been said very clean! Nice job! Welcome to Canreef!

reeferaddict
07-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Welcome! Another local! They're beginning to crawl out from everywhere... again, nice clean tank!

AC33
07-09-2006, 04:38 AM
Looks really nice and clean, but i'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about the yellow tang in your reef yet.

GrimReefer
07-09-2006, 08:13 AM
i'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about the yellow tang in your reef yet.
me too. ;)

sumpfinfishe
07-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Nice tank Genix and welcome to Canreef!

I guess the tang police must be on holidays, that is if there still lurking these days :biggrin:

naesco
07-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Nice looking tank and welcome to Canreef.

AC33, the reason why nobody mentioned that the tang is in a tank far too small for its requirements is that everyone is quite properly polite. Obvious this new reefer who did not know the tank requirements for a tang when he bought the fish.

Genix, unlike many of the fish we have in our hobby that kind of poke around here and there for food around the coral heads, tangs are swimmers. They like to motor back in forth in large longer tanks (six footers). Your yellow cannot do that in your 30 gallon tall. Someone near you with a larger tank can keep it for you or you can return it to the LFS.

We all started as newbies. It is best to get information on fish and coral before you buy them from well known books and websites. The members of Canreef are an excellent source of really good information and can recommend many books for you. All you simply have to do it ask.

Good luck with your new hobby

Thank you

GrimReefer
07-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Nice looking tank and welcome to Canreef.

AC33, the reason why nobody mentioned that the tang is in a tank far too small for its requirements is that everyone is quite properly polite. Obvious this new reefer who did not know the tank requirements for a tang when he bought the fish.

Genix, unlike many of the fish we have in our hobby that kind of poke around here and there for food around the coral heads, tangs are swimmers. They like to motor back in forth in large longer tanks (six footers). Your yellow cannot do that in your 30 gallon tall. Someone near you with a larger tank can keep it for you or you can return it to the LFS.

We all started as newbies. It is best to get information on fish and coral before you buy them from well known books and websites. The members of Canreef are an excellent source of really good information and can recommend many books for you. All you simply have to do it ask.

Good luck with your new hobby

Thank you
actually, i did know that my 30 gallon is too small for my yellow tang according to some people. i've read tons of posts by the tang police. but i also know that my yellow tang is quite content in my 30. he gets high quality food, good water quality, and peacefull tank mates with no fear of predators. i'm sure if i gave my yellow tang a 10 foot tank, he'd use all that swimming space. does that mean a 4 foot tank is too small for him?? all marine fish are used to territories a hell of a lot larger than we give them in aquariums, does this mean they can't be happy? who is to say how small is too small and what exactly would that be based on?

sumpfinfishe
07-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Yikes! sounds like another "showdown" or at least a call to load the old six shooters :mrgreen:

Renegade
07-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Well Said !!!

AC33
07-09-2006, 10:46 PM
actually, i did know that my 30 gallon is too small for my yellow tang according to some people. i've read tons of posts by the tang police. but i also know that my yellow tang is quite content in my 30. he gets high quality food, good water quality, and peacefull tank mates with no fear of predators. i'm sure if i gave my yellow tang a 10 foot tank, he'd use all that swimming space. does that mean a 4 foot tank is too small for him?? all marine fish are used to territories a hell of a lot larger than we give them in aquariums, does this mean they can't be happy? who is to say how small is too small and what exactly would that be based on?

Well I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I was under the impression that keeping a tang in smaller tank like yours would stunt the growth considerably, and that the tang would not live as long as it would in a larger tank. I'm not sure if this is true or not, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

StirCrazy
07-09-2006, 11:01 PM

Good for you.. I agree with you 100% and while I do think a 30 gal is to small for a larger yellow I think it is fine for the size you have.

Steve

StirCrazy
07-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Well I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I was under the impression that keeping a tang in smaller tank like yours would stunt the growth considerably, and that the tang would not live as long as it would in a larger tank. I'm not sure if this is true or not, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

that is a fresh water thing. I have not heard of that applying to salt water fish, but you never know.. I think Naesco's intention is that the fish won't be happy in a small tank.

Steve

naesco
07-10-2006, 08:50 PM

Genix ,if you are going to use photoshop to put a tang in a 30 gallon to get a reaction at least choose a healthy yellow tang. The one you posted "appears" pinched and thin which are the signs of starvation in a tang. They should be plump when they are fed properly.

AC33 You are correct that a small tank stunts a fish's growth. StirCrazy here is the cite you need. Please see
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/hcs3/index.php
The tang referred to is a hippo/regal tang.

Thanks

midgetwaiter
07-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Genix ,if you are going to use photoshop to put a tang in a 30 gallon to get a reaction at least choose a healthy yellow tang. The one you posted "appears" pinched and thin which are the signs of starvation in a tang. They should be plump when they are fed properly.

If you can see any edit artifacts in those pics then you must have a really special eye because I can't. I would also have a really difficult time making a judgement on the health of the fish, not enough detail. I may be a bit of a coral newbie but I've been keeping SW fish for a long time and I just can't see what you're talking about.

How do you know that research done on the growth rates of Regal Tangs has anything at all to do with the growth of Yellow Tangs? Additionally you should note that the linked article gives guidelines for judging the growth rate of a fish to determine IF it is stunted. It gives no evidence about the how and why a fish may end up with sub optimal growth. Are the fish that have been observed to stunt in dirty water, is the diet adequate, etc, etc. None of that is discussed in the article.

naesco
07-10-2006, 09:53 PM
If you can see any edit artifacts in those pics then you must have a really special eye because I can't. I would also have a really difficult time making a judgement on the health of the fish, not enough detail. I may be a bit of a coral newbie but I've been keeping SW fish for a long time and I just can't see what you're talking about.

How do you know that research done on the growth rates of Regal Tangs has anything at all to do with the growth of Yellow Tangs? Additionally you should note that the linked article gives guidelines for judging the growth rate of a fish to determine IF it is stunted. It gives no evidence about the how and why a fish may end up with sub optimal growth. Are the fish that have been observed to stunt in dirty water, is the diet adequate, etc, etc. None of that is discussed in the article.

The research fish was not done using a the regal tang but was done on acanthurus species tangs. The author who IMO is an expert on fish in our hobby applied the findings to the hippo/regal. It seems reasonable therefore that they could also be applied using the formulae to yellow tangs as well.

The yellow tang shown appeared to me to be pinched and thin. I enlarged the photo, however, I was carefull to use "appeared" in my post.

Thank you

muck
07-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Naesco,

Why do you say the tang looks photoshopped in? I agree with midgetwaiter that it looks legite.
What would Genix have to gain by photoshopping a yellow tang into pictures of his reef anyhow?

Genix,

The reef looks great. Don't let the "Tang Police" :rolleyes: get to you.

Willow
07-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Naesco,

Why do you say the tang looks photoshopped in? I agree with midgetwaiter that it looks legite.
What would Genix have to gain by photoshopping a yellow tang into pictures of his reef anyhow?

Genix,

The reef looks great. Don't let the "Tang Police" :rolleyes: get to you.

he has nothing else to post or contribute on message boards other than ban all tangs unless you have a 500+ gallon tank. dude give it a rest we don't care anymore you sound like a broken record.

TheReefGeek
07-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Great looking tank, I'm sure you will upgrade or trade the tang as he grows.

Neat semi-aggresive tank, with a tomato clown, damsel, and looks like a dottyback, and the yellow tang.

I wish my tank was 1/2 as clean! What equipment you got running?

GrimReefer
07-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Great looking tank, I'm sure you will upgrade or trade the tang as he grows.

Neat semi-aggresive tank, with a tomato clown, damsel, and looks like a dottyback, and the yellow tang.

I wish my tank was 1/2 as clean! What equipment you got running?
yes i have plans for a 90 gallon that the yellow tang will be transfered to eventually. as for now, he's comfortable and in love with my tomato clown.
as far as filtration goes, i have an emperor 280 and prism skimmer. always liked bio-wheel products but i'd like an aqua c skimmer instead of my prism.

naesco, i think you need a girlfriend or something, dude. way too much time on your hands.

OCDP
07-11-2006, 01:30 AM
as far as filtration goes, i have an emperor 280 and prism skimmer. always liked bio-wheel products but i'd like an aqua c skimmer instead of my prism.

You'll be super happy with a Remora. I have nothing but good things to say about these skimmers. Definitely go for one.

naesco, i think you need a girlfriend or something, dude. way too much time on your hands..

:lol: I must agree

Chaloupa
07-11-2006, 01:47 AM
I have 2 tanks with Remora Pro's on them and I am more than satisfied with them....LOVE my Euroreef though for the in sump on our 120...it's great!

StirCrazy
07-11-2006, 03:21 AM
AC33 You are correct that a small tank stunts a fish's growth. StirCrazy here is the cite you need. Please see
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/hcs3/index.php
The tang referred to is a hippo/regal tang.

Thanks

I think we are talking about different things here, a lot of fresh water species will emit growth limiting hormones to prevent competition in there territory, I have never heard of this in salt water.

As for the article (this is the third time I have typed this because of my stupid computer so forgive me if I sound curt as I am not.. just tired of 35 min of typing only to have it nuked twice) But really you cannot apply the findings for one species to any other under other types of conditions. Could there stunted growth be from the small tank… sure but it could also be from a host of other things, like the lack of a “only the biggest survive” instinct due to a lack of competition, or improper feeding or water conditions, or a lack of exercise due to low current levels (I have not seen many tank with high enough current levels for a swimmer like tangs). Another problem is as always with the 15 min of fame online mags, we are only seeing someone’s opinion of a study and not the study it’s self.

Another thing is that is this stunted growth a bad thing? I don’t know but I bet no one else can say for sure also... if there aren’t other complications aside from the reduced size then is it really something to worry about?

Steve

G1GY
07-11-2006, 03:28 AM
Nice looking set up Genix! :)

Did you know that it's against the law to keep a tang in that size of tank? :lol:

Welcome to the board.

naesco
07-11-2006, 03:51 AM
Willow
Show some respect!

Stircrazy
Would you like me to get the study for you to review and would it make any difference.
Thank you

StirCrazy
07-11-2006, 04:24 AM
Willow
Show some respect!

Stircrazy
Would you like me to get the study for you to review and would it make any difference.
Thank you

there are lots of studys I would like to review, and depending on what is in the actual study yes it could make a difference. the problem is there have been so many people reviewing 3 or 4 papers and then taking there own interpretation from them that you can get 5 different opinions from people reading the same 3 or 4 papers.. so it is hard to believe anyone at face value if you know what I mean.

If you can get them free then yes I would be gratfull but if they are on a pay site like most then no I don't want you to spend money to get this.. for some weird reason I actualy enjoy reading this stuff where it would probably put most to sleep:mrgreen: but even if I only retain 10% of the information that is still 10% more than I knew yesterday.

Steve

Willow
07-11-2006, 05:19 AM
Willow
Show some respect!

to who exactly, you? dude i agree with you but you gave up a long time ago contributing anything meaningful to conversation around here, your just annoying now.

Johnny Reefer
07-11-2006, 06:11 AM
This sentence...
Genix ,if you are going to use photoshop to put a tang in a 30 gallon to get a reaction at least choose a healthy yellow tang.
...is a blatant accusation, IMO.

And this sentence...
I enlarged the photo, however, I was carefull to use "appeared" in my post.
...is indicative of indecisiveness, uncertainty and self doubt, and contradicts the first sentence....which are all traits of argumentativeness, IMO.

Chaloupa
07-11-2006, 07:35 AM
I think the tank looks nice, he's doing his best to house his fish, hasn't overcrowded....and why would he photoshop a Tang into his 30g??? Listen to yourself! He didn't come here asking what anyone thought about him having a Yellow tang in a 30g tank ...he was introducing himself and was open to ideas on reefing...in the end he does plan to enlarge the tank...his fish is small...and hey I have a Purple Tang in a 50g and a Kole Tang in my 65g tall hex reef...they are both doing very very well, not on the "recommended size for species" but.... Good luck to you Genix...keep up the nice tank.

midgetwaiter
07-11-2006, 09:15 AM
there are lots of studys I would like to review, and depending on what is in the actual study yes it could make a difference. the problem is there have been so many people reviewing 3 or 4 papers and then taking there own interpretation from them that you can get 5 different opinions from people reading the same 3 or 4 papers.. so it is hard to believe anyone at face value if you know what I mean.

I bet there is more like 30 opinions. I think the point a lot of people miss is that science is all about not knowing. You get some results and you try to make a case to support your interpretation of the data. The really amusing aspect of this particular situation is that there are very few people that would argue with his basic point (including genix) but the way he tries to make his case POs everybody and he gets shouted down.

Doug
07-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Please leave the personal insults & attacks out of the threads
Thanks.