PDA

View Full Version : fresh-water dipping corals

fresh
07-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Hi all,

I have never done fresh-water dips on corals to rid them of unwanted bugs (flat-warms). I just had a few questions:

1) what type of water? just straight fw that has been sitting for a day or 2?
2) for how long do you dip?
3) all types of corals? softies, lps and sps?
4) any special instructions?

thanks

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-06-2006, 05:08 PM
I just use some extra RODI water at room temp or close to what the corals are at. I dip for about 1 minute & shake quite vigorously, especially if I know there are flatworms.

seashells
07-06-2006, 07:48 PM
I use RO/DI water. I make the temperature and pH of the water the same as the main tank.

Doug

fresh
07-06-2006, 08:07 PM
all types of corals are ok??? softies, lps and sps???

Are there any ill-effects on the corals???

1 minute is good enough?

fresh
07-07-2006, 07:17 PM
OH, I forgot to ask about clams!!! can they be fw dipped??? I doubt that highly!!!

mr_alberta
07-07-2006, 07:25 PM
SPS are iffy to dip. Some SPS like Monti's generally can't take a FW dip. Some acros seem to survice a very brief FW dip.

Clams also can be dipped. FW dips are used when clams show the "pinched mantle" syndrom. I've done it before on my clam. Its scary as heck, but they do survive. The dip was about 15 minutes or so.

fresh
07-10-2006, 03:43 PM
People I need more input please :)

OCDP
07-10-2006, 04:58 PM
I'd be very cautious if dipping SPS corals or clams. I have dipped LPS and zoos with no problems. LPS are a little touchy at times too. When dipping I will use RO/DI (used to be tap water.. but I have an RO/DI unit now) Take a bit of water, adjust temp , stick in the zoos and shake the crap out of them to get any hitchikers off (nudis, etc..) Shake for a good minute or a little more and let the zoos sit in the FW for another half minute or so . LPS is more so a dip and light waving in the water.. don't want to damage or stress anything further. You really shouldn't need to dip LPS unless there is something wrong with the coral.

I personally don't think I'll ever dip an SPS or clam.. just seems too risky seeing as they are such touchy animals.