PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to a Giesemann Nova II (250w) on my 20g. Thoughts & input please!

OCDP
07-06-2006, 03:01 PM
I think I am going to upgrade my lighting (again.. I know) . Yet another great opportunity for me to upgrade some things. Since I've added a Refractometer , RO/DI unit, etc.. I want to just get the last of the upgrading DONE. So, it must be my lucky day or something because I am able to grab a Giesemann Nova II 250 HQI. I have never used one and haven't really seen many pictures with people using them or heard much about these pendants. So I am wondering if there's anyone here that uses one? And if so, how do you like it? Feel free to give me any input you may have.

As for the 250w HQI over a 20g tank, I'm a little weary. But, this is a great opportunity for me to upgrade, so I want to take advantage of this. It will get me motivated to get a new tank up as well. And all's I'll really need to make an upgrade now is more live rock.

So, how abouts should I go putting this new light up? It has the adjustable cables so I can raise or lower it no problem. Any input, or feedback on the pendant.. anything at all would be great. Thanks.

muck
07-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Upgrade tank... I thought you sold the new tank. What are you planning now Scott.. :mrgreen:

mr_alberta
07-06-2006, 03:12 PM
They are nice fixtures from what I have seen. However, they had some quality assurance and customer service problems a while back IIRC from what I've read on Reef Central.

One strange thing I found is that I think they still use hammertone for their reflectors which confuses me as I'm sure there are much better materials out there to use as a reflector.

Their bulbs are usually pretty nice as well. The 13.5K Megachrome ones I used were great and unbelievably bright.

OCDP
07-06-2006, 03:13 PM
haha, I know.. the reason I sold it is because I never made the best dimensions to fit my room... so it would have worked, but it would have been ugly. So, I have to make up some new dimensions for the new tank.

OCDP
07-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks Harvey,

I posted this on RC as well (just to get more user feedback) And someone already said they are known for their ballasts burning out. Crappers... this is dissapointing. I would really like to try this pendant out.

The same person said that removing and replacing bulbs is a PITA. That's not a biggy for me as I am confident it can't be that difficult.

I used the 13.5k (by itself, no actinics) And found it to be very very yellow. It was bright though.

Looking for as much feedback as possible. Thanks again :)

Willow
07-06-2006, 05:20 PM
why dont you stop dicking around with a 20 gallon and get a decent sized tank.

muck
07-06-2006, 05:22 PM
:lol:

OCDP
07-06-2006, 05:30 PM
why dont you stop dicking around with a 20 gallon and get a decent sized tank.

Haha ... in time, in time. It's not too easy to put a full blown reef in a tiny ass bedroom ya know? The joy's of living at home with your parents.

Does anyone have any USEFUL information or input/feedback on these pendants? Sheesh.. leave my 20g alone. :razz:

albert_dao
07-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Are you buying a used pendant?

OCDP
07-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Yes.

Ruth
07-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Scott I used the 250W penant over my 24g gallon for a while and was happy enough with it but missed the supplimental lighting so I went back to my 175W/VHO fixture.
I do use the Geisemann 250W/T5 fixture over my 44g cube and could not be happier. The Geisemann true actinic are very blue so it is a nice combination with the megachrome bulb.

OCDP
07-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks Ruth. I think I'll go ahead with the upgrade... the price is good and it will help me out big time down the road. I actually am not even a big fan of actinics anymore.. they dont do much for me. I'd much rather have a good quality pendant setup.

I'll let everyone know what goes on

OCDP
07-08-2006, 03:57 AM
Picked up the pendant tonight.. until we figure out a DIY hanging method we are just going to use some 2x4's to mount it up for now.

Pretty sweet pendant.. and I like the 14k Hamilton in it.. a nice crisp icey white/blue mix.

I'll post pics when it's up.