PDA

View Full Version : Came home to a tank of brown and angry corals.

OCDP
07-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Well, I did it....

I woke up, wasn't with it.. too tired to remember to NOT turn the halides on today (weather) and too tired to remember to turn my fan and open my window. So. This could have been worse. A lot worse.

My tank water is warm... like, warm... creepy. My SPS are all browned and ****ed off the the extreme. My frogspawn is not a happy camper. Oddly enough.. my anemone is looking fantastic.. weird? My fish all seem ok , not stressed or anything.

I had to get a few baggies of ice on the water, I'm not going to chance leaving the tank at 86+ (my thermometer stops at 86) . What a nightmare.. well, this could have been a nightmare. Note to self: On HOT days, keep halides off, turn fan on, open bedroom window.

Sheesh (I was asking for it ... )

Joe Reefer
07-06-2006, 12:25 AM
I feel your pain... I came home to a rtn'd stag today. :sad:

OCDP
07-06-2006, 12:47 AM
I feel your pain... I came home to a rtn'd stag today. :sad:

Well you must have brought me some bad luck here :razz: I just took a look in the tank, looks like I missed a frag, completely bone white. My favourite tenuis (sp?) acro frag . Sky blue with green hue... what a shame.

Tangman
07-06-2006, 01:00 AM
Just one word CHILLER !

Think about it, after all we spend on our tanks, it's money well spent!

Chaloupa
07-06-2006, 04:46 AM
A chiller is so worth the money...you don't really have to worry anymore. I am so glad I got one for my little reef....discus beside the reef are over 88 while the reef sits happily at 80 a good investment!

OCDP
07-06-2006, 04:59 AM
Chiller on a 20g? Nah.. plus the tank is in my room. Double no .

If I keep my fan on and my bedroom window open fully, I can stay at 86. But instead of letting it get that high.. I will simply leave the halides off until I get home from work, and then check the temp.. and turn the lights on if it's not too warm.

BMW Rider
07-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Maybe pick up a small fan and aim it right at the tank. You could plug it in with the light timer too if that is the only time the tank really heats up. I'm doing this with my little QT tank, and the temp is holding fine at 80. It was up to 86 before.

OCDP
07-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Yeah Ed, I think I am going to go and pick up a small clip on fan or something similar. It will be efficient and will give me much more peace of mind. I think I am upgrading to a 250w HQI as well. It may be okay though (heat wise) as it will be hanging, as compared to my 24" Aqualight Pro. That thing gives off a ton of heat.. and it has no where to go. So hanging a pendant will be better in some ways.

Joe Reefer
07-06-2006, 04:05 PM
I bought a small window a/c unit for the tank room, now the temp is at a steady 81 all day.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-06-2006, 05:12 PM
I have 3 small fans but usually only have one on that blows down the length of my 6' Aqualight Pro. With the fans, the tank temp stays between 77-80F. However, I'm in a groundfloor suite & it stays cooler in here than upstairs. Without the fans, my tanks went up to 84F a couple of weeks ago.

Anthony