PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia in sump

Gizmo
07-05-2006, 04:26 AM
I just noticed a small family of aptasia growing on the side of my G3 Skimmer. Are these buggers going to be a problem in the main tank? I've only had one rock with aptasia on it and I cooked them off with a blow torch (works well by the way) -Thanks

Joe Reefer
07-05-2006, 04:44 AM
Aptasia fuge?! :mrgreen:

Johnny Reefer
07-05-2006, 04:52 AM
I just noticed the other day that I have Aiptasia growing in my overflow chambers. Seems they grow anywhere they damn well please.

Cheers:smile:,

EmilyB
07-05-2006, 06:01 AM
I have tons of aiptasia in the sump. Fortunately, I have none in the main tank, I have a Red Sea Golden Butterfly and some peppermints.

I've thought about eradicating them but I figure as long as I have control up top, they are probably providing some sort of filtration service. Given they live in the compartment right under the overflow, I think they like flow. :lol:

crusty1
07-05-2006, 02:42 PM
I was reading a thread on another site and there is a guy there that sets up tanks with aptasia sumps. He has found that it is an inexpensive and efficient way to polish water. To control the aptasia from leaving the sump, he uses UV sterilizers on the pump return lines.

TheReefGeek
07-05-2006, 02:58 PM
I have heard of it too, but xenia and macro algae work as good or better I would think, why risk Aiptasia.

My aiptasia is everywhere BUT my sump :)

Johnny Reefer
07-05-2006, 03:11 PM
My aiptasia is everywhere BUT my sump :)
And this makes you happy???:razz:

TheReefGeek
07-05-2006, 03:13 PM
All the more to feed my aiptasia nudibranches when they arrive, so yes actually! I am going to try to breed them, I will probably run out of Aiptasia too quickly.

Johnny Reefer
07-05-2006, 03:16 PM
..... I will probably run out of Aiptasia too quickly.
I have some you can have.:lol: