PDA

View Full Version : MH setup help please!!!!!!!

andrewsk
07-05-2006, 03:55 AM
I am hoping soomeone can help me or point me in the right direction with my light setup.

I have just recieved my 72" PFO lighting box. I also recieved the 3 MH Bulbs, 3 Ice Cap Ballasts and 3 wires with a standard plug on one end and a black, green, and white wire.

The ballasts have the same 3 colored wires as above, and 2 light blue ones on the other side.

What the heck do I do? There are no clear instructions so here are my questions.

I assume the Green, Black and White wires with the standard plug go together to the ballast wires of the same color, but where do the Blue wires connect to? The Green, Black and White ones coming from the fixture? Do the ballasts go in the fixture or do I mount them somewhere outside of the tank.

I know some of you are probably having a good laugh but I am stumped!

Thanks!!!!!!!

Snappy
07-05-2006, 04:29 AM
I would keep the ballasts seperate and not mount them in the fixture.

Puff
07-05-2006, 04:58 AM
yeah. definitely keep the ballasts seperate.

it will keep the heat down a bit more in the canopy, and its a hell of a lot safer.

sometimes the green wire is supposed to be used as the ground wire...

like when you wire it to an extension cord, the green wire is always used as the ground, and is connected to the bottom prong on a 3 prong plug.

i saw a ballast wiring faq somewhere, ill try and find it for ya

http://members.fortunecity.com/paulerik/id51.htm

*another bit from another site*

Wires/ Wiring

Wires used in electrical circuits are often of two types, stranded or solid, and are rated by size, current capacity and temperature handling capability of the outer plastic sheath. Stranded wire is flexible, and much more resistant to breaking.

The wire size is indicated by the gauge of wire. It describes diameter (smaller the gauge the thicker the wire) and is directly related to the maximum current that the wire can handle. For our purposes, and for lengths under 25’, we can run a lamp up to 1000W on 18 gauge wires. This takes into consideration a line voltage of 120VAC and a moderate safety factor.

The outer insulating jacket of a cable is rated for a specific voltage. Most insulation is rated up to 600 volts, which is fine for our purposes. The outer jacket is also rated with a letter designation. S denotes a high quality, 2-conductor cable with an outer jacket of high-quality rubber. SO or SJO denotes the same, with an oil-resistant jacket of neoprene or similar material. In the environment we use our lighting, these are a good choice. If using single-conductor cable, THWN refers to a water-resistant thermoplastic insulator, and is the best choice.

When wiring ballasts remotely from the lamps, it is often convenient to use a connector of some sort so that the two components can be disconnected. A simple solution is the use of normal household extension cords, cut in two, with one end wired to the ballast, and the other to the lamps. The female connector should be connected to the ballast, and the male to the lamp, so that an energized plug could not come into contact with your hand. Other good connectors such as Hubbell twist-lock style connectors provide a locked connection, and are different from most household connectors.

The wiring diagrams for connecting the ballast to the lamp are usually printed on the ballast cover. Always use a three-pronged plug for connecting the ballast to the outlet, and make sure the wires are properly grounded. Most circuits require that the outer case of the ballast be grounded.

When working with electricity, please exercise caution and seek the advice of a qualified electrician if you are unsure of what you are doing.

andrewsk
07-05-2006, 05:01 AM
Ok thanks snappy.

I have an inch thick piece of board and foam in between my tank.

I was thinking of mounting them to this underneath the tank to hide them. Is that ok?

My only real stumbling block is the 2 blue wires from the Ice cap. Do I just connect those to the Black and White wires from the Canopy? And what do I do with the grounding wires?

Thanks.

If anyone has a pic of their wiring I would be really grateful!

andrewsk
07-05-2006, 05:05 AM
Puff,

Right now, I am thinking an electician would be a VERY good idea.

I thought the lights would come pretty much wired and ready to go.

Oh well.

christyf5
07-05-2006, 05:26 AM
http://www.icecapinc.com/mhwd.htm

Hmm it doesn't say much about the blue wires on there does it?
Be patient grasshopper, someone always comes to the rescue when it comes to wiring up ballasts :wink:

Puff
07-05-2006, 06:04 AM
im an apprentice electrician. so ive got minimal knowledge. if it was sitting in front of me i could wire it. but i know there are some REAL electricians on here who i'd trust a lot more than me.lol.

didnt notice the electrician comment at the end of my post, as i copied it from another site.lol