PDA

View Full Version : Livestock on westjet?

spikehs
07-05-2006, 02:58 AM
I am going to be going to van sometime in August, and was wondering if its possible to pick up some livestock and bring it with me on the plane, or is that a big no no?? thanks!

TheReefGeek
07-05-2006, 03:08 AM
I would ask westjet, people can bring dogs so I don't see why not!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-05-2006, 03:21 AM
No. You would have to pack the sw livestock separate & send it through with a courier. Been there, done that. It'll cost about $70-75, but you can ship lots for that price. We sent 2 coolers full & could have sent more because it wasn't up to the max. weight yet.

If you're coming into town, give me a holler & come on over.

Anthony

zulu_principle
07-05-2006, 05:37 AM
Hi Sean

Its Cargo, slightly different location but close to the main terminal.

The minimum charge is $60 with all the other charges just make sure its packed correctly.

Wendell

PS Coolers sound like a great idea !

reeferaddict
07-05-2006, 07:01 AM
I know a certain member that filled a thermos type thingy and brought a few things back from Calgary... carry on I think... but Christy would know more about that.... :razz:

AndyL
07-05-2006, 02:36 PM
There's been some discussion on various forums, with westjet it's 50/50 whether you'll be able to carry them on. Depends on who you talk to on what day it seems. The rule is somewhat vague and subject to interpretation...

TheReefGeek
07-05-2006, 02:39 PM
I would argue with them that they are pets, and people can bring dogs that bark, pee, and crap on the plane, you should be able to bring fishies.

:mrgreen:

wetcoast
07-05-2006, 02:46 PM
I flew westjet a few years ago and stuffed a laptop cardboard box with bags and carried it onto the plane. Explaining it to airport security was another thing...

muck
07-05-2006, 02:47 PM
I would argue with them that they are pets, and people can bring dogs that bark, pee, and crap on the plane, you should be able to bring fishies.

:mrgreen:
Yes but the dogs that bark, pee, and crap are put in "cargo" just like any fish, as was stated earlier by Wendell.

TheReefGeek
07-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Small dogs can go at people's feet in cages.

At least they can with lots of companies, I don't fly westjet too often.

TheReefGeek
07-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Westjet is pet friendly, they have to fit under the seat in their carrier.

http://network.bestfriends.org/canada/news/3872.html

http://www.pettravel.com/airline_pet_rules/westjet.cfm

They say cat, dog, bird, or rabbit only.

Canadbis
07-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Westjet is pet friendly, they have to fit under the seat in their carrier.

http://network.bestfriends.org/canada/news/3872.html

http://www.pettravel.com/airline_pet_rules/westjet.cfm

They say cat, dog, bird, or rabbit only.

Yes a small Stinky Cat, stinky Dog, Stinky Rabbit, or bird ONLY, but NOT a Silent, non-smelling, bag with fish
I tried before

TheReefGeek
07-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Draw some wiskers on the bag, and some pointy ears and put it in a cat bag. :)

Edmonton Eskimo
07-05-2006, 04:05 PM
When I came back from Kelowna last month I had three bags of livestock. I packed them in my carry-on and brought them on the plane with me. What they didn't know didn't hurt them!!

Quinster
07-05-2006, 04:07 PM
When I came back from Toronto via Air Canada in Oct I brought a 1' X 1' x 1' box with 4 corals in it, carried it on, even refused to let them xray it but opened the box for them. They were so amazed by the corals it became more of a topic of discussion than a problem with it being carry on. When a friend of mine came home from Edmonton he brought a box approximatly the same dimentions back on West Jet with no trouble either. Maybe I just got lucky.

christyf5
07-05-2006, 04:19 PM
I've never had a problem but then I'm not dragging the stuff out for show either. I have a large shoulder bag that I put most of my stuff in with a jacket on top (except for that trip to calgary in which I bought a ridiculous amount of stuff and had to use my carry on luggage as well :razz: ). Surprisingly half the time I've been through airport security they haven't even gone through my bag, everything just goes through the scanner and pops out the other side.

Yes a small Stinky Cat, stinky Dog, Stinky Rabbit, or bird ONLY, but NOT a Silent, non-smelling, bag with fish
I don't think they're worried about the smell as much as the fact that if the bag leaks your fish water can rust out the plane :wink:

danny zubot
07-06-2006, 07:06 PM
I don't think they're worried about the smell as much as the fact that if the bag leaks your fish water can rust out the plane

:lol:

TheReefGeek
07-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Just wait until I bring a bag of salt with me, and dump it down the airline toilet then! :)