PDA

View Full Version : Seio Powerhead Reccommendations

TheReefGeek
07-04-2006, 05:30 PM
I am thinking about trying some Seio powerheads instead of my closed loop. I like my closed loop, but have never tried the Seio/Tunze style of powerheads and would like to experience the kind of flow they offer.

My tank is a 180g, 6x2x2

Should I go with 2, 1500gph models, one in each corner? Or a single 2600gph model shooting across the tank?

I like the idea of a single powerhead because it puts less clutter in the tank, and I could build my rockwork such that it is hidden well. But is this flow going to be enough?

Joe Reefer
07-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Buy a Tunze instead.

TheReefGeek
07-04-2006, 05:59 PM
I would love too!

But for just testing, the cost of the Seio's is much more reasonable, the 2600gph model can be had for $70-80 US plus shipping etc. will be $100 or so.

muck
07-04-2006, 06:12 PM
If you are lucky you may be able to squeek on to FragFactorys Canada Day weekend Sale yet.. :wink:

http://www.fragfactory.ca/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=234

TheReefGeek
07-04-2006, 06:48 PM
That is where I found out about the 1500 and 2600gph Seio's, I had only heard of the 3 smaller models before that.

Maybe they can make it a 4th of July sale. :)

reeferaddict
07-04-2006, 07:02 PM
I have 2 Seio 1500's and 2 Tunze 6100's in my 135... The Seio's are nice and I've been very pleased with their flow and reliability... (I have my Seio's staggered to turn on and off only once per day, buried in the rocks to provide flow along the back wall and through the rockwork)... but man, if you want REAL flow... and realistic water movement... go with the Tunze... I was skeptical at first, and holy crap did it hurt my wallet, but the first one made me immediately go out and buy a second one... nothing else I have seen moves the water like this... :biggrin: IMHO you would need at least 4 - 1500's or 2 - 2600's to get any decent flow in a 6 foot tank...

TheReefGeek
07-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Great info, exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Would a single 6100 do the trick, or would I need two of those?

Do you use a controller on your 6100s?

TheReefGeek
07-04-2006, 07:20 PM
For cheaper than 2x6100s, I could get the wavebox, and I have seen the flow from these, very impressive.

Has anyone compared 2x6100s on a controller vs. a wavebox?

reeferaddict
07-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Great info, exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Would a single 6100 do the trick, or would I need two of those?

Do you use a controller on your 6100s?

I just use the 7091 controllers, but will be getting the fancy 7095 soon as they automate what I manually tweak now... regardless, the natural movement of the corals is stunning... very much like what I have seen in oceanic films and very much unlike the "blowing" current we are used to seeing in closed systems... I have seen the wavebox in action as well... very impressive... probably as natural and chaotic as my 6100's... just beware that they will make your water level fluctuate and I have heard reports that they may stress glass tanks... a member also had a Wave2K for sale on here for a good deal... I haven't seen one except in videos... but they look impressive as well though they are apparently quite bulky... I had a single 6100 running on my 6 foot tank and was quite happy with the flow... there's nothing like two of these suckers pushing back and forth and creating currents though... :mrgreen:

Ruth
07-04-2006, 10:57 PM
I am currently running a Sieo 1100 in a 44g cube. In my 190g I have 2 6200 Tunzes with a 7095 controller in addition to a closed loop powered by a Sequence Hammerhead pump. I have 2 Tunze 6100 in my 230g tank on the same controller. I don't believe there is any comparison when it comes to the Tunzes and the Seios but have never tried the larger 2600. I have in the past used the smaller Tunzes (can't remember model # but the ones that don't run on a controller) - they give a nice flow pattern but the real benefit of the Tunze is seen when used with a controller.
The Tunzes do make a serious dent in you wallet but IMO nothing even comes close for powerheads.
When/if I ever get my 300g cube set up I am not going to put a closed loop system on it but will be using 4 6200 Tunzes for water flow with a possiblilty of using a wavebox (or 2) as well.

mr_alberta
07-04-2006, 11:15 PM
The Seio 2600, while it did move tonnes of water, is huge. Imagine putting a size 7 shoe in your tank. That's about the size :razz:

I tried a Tunze 6100 out. Beautiful piece of equipment, but I do wish they would develop a better mounting system than those cheapo plastic bits they provide.

TheReefGeek
07-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Don't they have magnetic holders?

The size isn't a HUGE deal, because I can hide it behind rockwork that is shaped into a circle through which the powerhead will just poke out.

Is the Seio 2600 significantly larger than a Tunze 6100?

reeferaddict
07-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Don't they have magnetic holders?

The size isn't a HUGE deal, because I can hide it behind rockwork that is shaped into a circle through which the powerhead will just poke out.

Is the Seio 2600 significantly larger than a Tunze 6100?

I have magnetic holders for one of mine and the other jerry rigged with their cheap comes with mounting hardware - get the magnets - haha... If you REALLY want to hide them in the rocks they offer a specially designed rock to all but hide the whole powerhead... Ruth is right about the controller - the non controlled Tunze and Seio's DO provide a really nice flow, but you put a couple of Tunze's and/or a wavebox in and the variety of currents and flow patterns is absolutely ENDLESS... there just is no direct comparison to anything else, I've seen some pretty tricked out closed loops on Ocean Motions and Sea Swirls, I have two CL on SQWD's myself, (now used primarily for surface agitation), but nothing, even at higher outputs, will create these natural currents in your tank like Tunze... they're simple, well built, and yes, expensive... but after going through the Maxijet-Seio curve, I will never go any other direction when it comes to moving water in my tank and making waves... of course they may be a little extreme for a 20g! :mrgreen: