PDA

View Full Version : Can I hook my RO/DI up to my outside hose? (more questions for you all!!)

OCDP
07-02-2006, 06:18 AM
Hey there,

My dad suggested that I just use the hose outside because the adapter fits on the garden hose. He said that the tap water is the same as the hose water... true? Would this be ok?

TIA,
Scott

muck
07-02-2006, 06:25 AM
I don't see why not. :wink:

OCDP
07-02-2006, 06:29 AM
Saweet. That saves me a trip to home depot tomorrow...

Thanks Ryan.

Willow
07-02-2006, 06:56 AM
When we bought our Aquasave units we could also order an outdoor adapter (what I thikn you have), a faucet adapter, or the adapater that plumbs to your pipes.

Bryan
07-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Just make sure that the unit does not freeze or you will ruin the membrane.

OCDP
07-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I am going to put it outside out of the sun, and turn the hose on just slightly (I assume you dont want too much pressure??)

Would hose water freeze my unit??

Thanks all,
Scott

Midknight
07-02-2006, 05:42 PM
No, but leaving it outside in the cold Calgary summers nights might :lol:

muck
07-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Don't most RO units work best at 65 PSI?
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.. :confused:

Bryan
07-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Yes, RO works best at 65+ psi, normal water pressure. Water pressure is still the same, whether the hose is open full or slightly, but leave the hose at 1/2 to full output.

My freezing comment was a reminder NOT to leave the unit outside if their is a chance of the temperature dropping below zero

OCDP
07-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Ahh okay, sweet thanks everyone. More questions now though ( just hooked it up)

Is it normal to hear a slight hissing sound coming from the unit? I hear a hiss and don't know if it's right or not.

I have a pressure gauge, but the hose that the pressure gauge is on doesn't fit the hose adapter :neutral: .. this way I could dial into 65psi and have the correct pressure. Right now I have it turned half way.

Thanks again guys, sorry for all the questions... I've never seen or used one of these things before .

Scott

naesco
07-02-2006, 07:25 PM
I think there is a serious problem with using a garden hose.
I read that parents were warned about children drinking from a garden hose usless the hose was run for several minutes.
Chemicals leach out of the vinyl hose when it is sitting in the sun.

OCDP
07-02-2006, 07:26 PM
bahhhhh.... really??? Should I not be using the hose then? :cry: Damnit! Just when things were hooked up and going good... argh, always something . :twised:

naesco
07-02-2006, 07:29 PM
What I did is found a hose bib inside the house and bought about 30 feet of tubing and ran it to where the RO/DI was set up. You could also buy the adapter that makes two hose connexions and use one of them solely for your RO/DI.

OCDP
07-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Yeah I guess this is a no go then?? That really sucks as I'm out of tap water conditioner and I can't get out to a HD or anywhere today. It's always too good to be true.

I asked the folks at RC to see what they say, if most say don't use the hose then I won't, it's not worth the risk.

OCDP
07-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Well according to a few on RC, this should be fine as RO/DI filters are meant to filter out all the crap.. I may just have to replace filters more often than usual. Oh well... as long as I have a spot to use for RO/DI water I am happy. I can't wait to get some water changes going... get that tap water out and the RO/DI in. Hopefully my SPS show improvement.

muck
07-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Yes.. The RO/DI will filter everything out.

TheReefGeek
07-02-2006, 09:55 PM
What are you going to do in the winter? Why not split your water supply to the washing machine with a Y-adapter with valves, and have a year-round solution.

OCDP
07-02-2006, 11:17 PM
What are you going to do in the winter? Why not split your water supply to the washing machine with a Y-adapter with valves, and have a year-round solution.

hahah... good call man, that didn't even cross my mind. I guess I'll have no choice. Until then, I'm content with doing this outside for now.