PDA

View Full Version : help!!!!!

draco
07-01-2006, 04:37 AM
please i need some help!!!! i checked my tank this morning before work and i noticed that my flame angel was dead!!!!i didnt have time to test the water cause i had to go to work. when i got home i tested for nitrite and nitrate and they are fine. then i noticed that my skink cleaner shrimp was dead. i dont know what to do i need some help please!!!!!!!!!!!

marie
07-01-2006, 04:56 AM
We're going to need more info, how long have you had the flame angel? What other tank mates do you have? Do you have a protien skimmer? Angels are more prone to suffer when there is low oxygen levels, which would happen at night

KrazyKuch
07-01-2006, 05:06 AM
Also How long has your tank been setup??

Dale
07-01-2006, 06:40 AM
Also,
Size of tank
and, how high did your tank temps get during this heat spell (if you had one).
My normally 80 degree tank ramped up to 85 on two seperate days and one person told me their tank hit 90. That's quite a spike for some marine species.
________
YZ85 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_YZ85)

draco
07-01-2006, 04:19 PM
i have a 55 that has been running for 5 months, it has 2 fire fish, 2 fire shrimp, a rescued scooter blenny, a purple orhird dotty back, for coral i have some xenia, frog spawn, a little fingle leather, 4 feather dusters, and some zoos. it is very possible that my tank over heated my apt is very hot. ido run a protien skimmer and i have a fluval for extra filtration. i have been doing more water changes than normal because i am dealing with some red slime right now. and i was just informed that one of my featerdusters has dropped its plume, it had 2. i did add things slowly, i dont undertand.

KrazyKuch
07-01-2006, 08:41 PM
How often are you changing your water and how much are you changing each time??

i have crabs
07-02-2006, 03:55 AM
quite possible its because of the heat right now.

Fishguy52
07-02-2006, 05:48 AM
hey i found you, i think it is the heat in your place just so everone knows she takes good care of her tank and i can't think of anything other that the hot house. it so sad too that was the best looking flame angel i have ever seen.

Johnny Reefer
07-02-2006, 06:12 AM
.....it is very possible that my tank over heated my apt is very hot. .....
Do you not have a thermometer for the tank?
Time to get one ASAP if you don't.

Cheers:smile:,

draco
07-02-2006, 05:47 PM
thanks fishguy52, i like to think that i am taking care of my tank well. i have tested for eveything and it all is fine exept for my calcium was low. and i check that often so it dropped quite quickly. and the other wierd thing is that i am getting the best coraline algea growth now. i am so confused. this is getting hard on me i loved that angel :cry:

Samw
07-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Not sure if heat would be the cause since the fish died at night when the temp is not at its highest. If a fish looked completely healthy during the day and ends up dead in the morning, without any other info, low oxygen is a very good guess. In my tank the oxygen drop is huge overnight. I've also had angels die in the next morning after I unplugged my aerating device and forgot to plug it back in. In addition, not all skimmers are good at aerating water. The ones that are poor are closed loop ones (The ones that don't actively draw water from the tank into the skimmer and back out).

Dale
07-03-2006, 05:02 AM
Don't let it get you down Draco,

I find S.W. to be somewhat like surfing (or snowboarding for us Canucks :smile: ). The tank is never really static. If your calcium has dropped in relation to increased C. algae growth this is due to the fact that the algae is taking the free calcium out of the water column and binding within its cells (a good thing). You may have to research some options like a calcium reactor, Kalkwasser or some other calcium suppliment. More frequent W/C's will help replace calcium as well.

I wouldn't discount the heat issue so quickly (though at this point it is a bit of a guessing game). Often a fish will encounter a stressor that weakens it and will linger for a while before dying. As if it has lost its will to live and is waiting for death to overtake it.

To continue the temp theme, for discussion sake:

If you have a smaller tank in a hot apartment you may want to look into some means of stabilizing the temp swings. It's not the high or low limits that will harm marine species so much but rather the swings back and forth. The first thing I would do is to start tracking your tank temps, particularily in the late afternoon/early evening, this is when your tank will have ramped up to its peak temp. Compare these to your morning temps. Since responding to the effect of the heat spell on my tank (opening all cabinet and hood doors, directing a fan at my sump, reducing my lighting duration) my temps have run 80 - 82F.

In the end we can only do our best. Test and correct. Good luck!
________
herbalaire (http://vaporizers.net/herbalaire-vaporizer)