PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

krisalexander
07-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Well it is just about a week into cycling my tank, and yesterday and today i have noticed a huge increase in brown algae, makes the rocks look like they have rust on them kind of, and the class is covered..anyway.. just wondering if anyone has experienced this? is it normal? how to reduce it? it is making my glass and rocks look pretty ugly..i cleaned the glasss but the rocks not so easy..

thanks

kris

OCDP
07-01-2006, 12:47 AM
This is all completely natural, and we all go through this in the beginning stages. This type of algae is called "Diatoms" (google it if you'd like) They are very ugly and are quite annoying. The good news is, if your using RO/DI water and everything is on track, the diatoms will go away. However, if there are phosphates and nitrates in the tank, it will stick around. After your cycle, you should add some snails, they will take care of your diatoms.

Also, this should probably be posted in the Reef forum, you'll get more replies :)

No worries, this is all natural. Just let the cycle take its course, and watch all the nasties grow ! :mrgreen:

*edit*: Here's the first link I seen on google. Check it out: http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/algaecontrol/a/aa091100.htm

krisalexander
07-01-2006, 12:52 AM
thanks scott,
It is just so ugly but hopefully it will go away soon..I have some snails and hermits in there, from my tank that survived...but it has just came out of no where. in two days almost every rock is covered in it..
but i will wait and hopefully it will go away..

kris

Diana
07-01-2006, 05:58 PM
It has always gone away in my tanks... sometimes takes up to a month but it'll eventually die off, especailly with the help from some snails.

;)
-Diana

krisalexander
07-02-2006, 09:43 PM
So if i were to get an animal (invert or fish) what would be best, I am gonna add a orange spotted goby soon, but as for snails i have some astrea and some blue legged hermits? but i am gonna get some more snails? what kind should i get?

kris

Doug
07-02-2006, 10:34 PM
I think Turbo snails may be your best bet for the diatom algae. If you ask me, thats all they are good for. :lol: And I would guess some astrea snails also.

Sleeper gobies are many times a hard fish to feed. Try find one thats eating prepared foods. Mine use to eat anything I put in, esp. frpzen mysis and so on. One good trick is to use some Marine "A" pellets and place them around the bottom. The gobies will eat them there more readily.