PDA

View Full Version : Group Buy: Aiptasia Nudibranches, Berghia verrucicornis

TheReefGeek
06-29-2006, 09:26 PM
I am going to be ordering Aiptasia Nudibranches, Berghia verrucicornis from http://www.saltyunderground.com/

I am in the process of checking whether or not a Cites permit is required for this, but so far it doesn't look like anything is required.

Salty Underground recommends 8 nudis per 100 gallons. This is if you are going to throw them into your display tank, and hope for the best. I would recommend setting up a little tank with fewer nudis (maybe 3-5? - depends on the tank size, and speed at which you want aiptasia eaten), and rotating your infested rock into it.

The nudis will mate, and lay eggs fairly quickly after arrival, as long as they can find each other. The 8/100g is aiming at doing this. Doing it in the display tank is a bit more risky though, they can become food for your reef inhabitants, or sucked into pumps or end up in sumps.

Eggs take 14 days of so to hatch, then they immediately feed on smaller aiptasia.

The population of your nudis will grow quickly as aiptasia are plentyfull, then as they conquer the aiptasia they will die off as the food disapears. Your aiptasia may come back slowly, and some nudis may survive on this, or all your nudis may die, and your aiptasia may come back eventually.

I am going to try and keep a stock of nudis alive by keeping some aiptasia rock and actually breeding aiptasia! Sounds ridiculous, I know, but this way if the aiptasia does manage to get a foothold in the tank again, I can always get rid of it. Plus I can supply other reefers with these critters if they need them down the road too. Maybe I will start an Aiptasia rock swap, you bring in your aiptasia rock, and get dry rock in return!

Anyhow, some people have already expressed a desire to be in on this order. They current have stock, I am just waiting for the permit confirmation, then I will be ordering.

If anyone else in Edmonton or area would like some of these nudis, please let me know a quantity. Shipping these nudis is not a problem, they are often bred in non-aerated 250ml containers.

G1GY
06-30-2006, 04:28 AM
Maybe I will start an Aiptasia rock swap, you bring in your aiptasia rock, and get dry rock in return!

Isn't the whole idea of the nudi's to be able to get rid of the apsasia pests without getting rid of the rest of the life that is based on that rock? I mean, if someone wanted to kill the aptasia off by drying out the rock they could kill them that way. Or they could bring you a live rock and get a dry one in return?

Please help me to understand, I just don't get it. :confused:

TheReefGeek
06-30-2006, 05:04 AM
True enough! Perhaps a "lending" program would work better, you lend me your aiptasia rock, I clean it for you, then you get it back. You get clean rock, I get feeder aiptasia for breeding. That is assuming breeding these suckers works, which according to my research is pretty easy if you can keep enough aiptasia to feed them.

Anyhow this thread is a group buy, no interest yet?

howdy20012002
06-30-2006, 08:13 AM
I am interested in probably 8 to 10.
depends on the shipment dates though..
very busy these days.
LMK
thanks
Neal

TheReefGeek
06-30-2006, 02:40 PM
We can work something out for the shipping date, I can hold them for you too if need be.

I am looking to get 5-8 myself.

This is post #1500, cool! :)

Skimmerking
07-02-2006, 05:04 PM
1500 posts and none of them showing your tank :cry:

Murminator
07-02-2006, 05:20 PM
1500 posts and no of them showing your tank :cry:

http://www.smilieshq.com/smilies/sign0142.gif (http://www.smilieshq.com)

rzadun
07-02-2006, 08:54 PM
I would be interested in getting 6 for my tank in Red Deer

TheReefGeek
07-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Do you come from Red Deer to Edmonton very often? I could hold them for you for a while.

Joe Reefer
07-02-2006, 09:53 PM
:rofl: :mrgreen:

mark
07-03-2006, 12:19 AM

1500 since Jan 2006, no time for a tank :wink:

geopod
07-03-2006, 01:25 AM
lmao.........boys boys boys...

bergia's sound like a good idea......when you planing this?

george

TheReefGeek
07-03-2006, 03:56 PM
1500 since Jan 2006, no time for a tank :wink:

Exactly! :mrgreen:

I am just setting up a 50g tank to hold these guys, and grow aiptasia. And I am waiting for an e-mail back from the Canadian Food and blah blah, about importing these guys.

I would like to order within the next week or two.

howdy20012002
07-03-2006, 05:12 PM
I would just get them to ship them.
I doubt there would be any problems at the border...
as well, I am going to downsize my order to 5
I am going to rotate the rock through my 29 gallon.
Cheaper that way.
neal

Psyire
07-03-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm in.. just as I said in the PMs.

muck
07-03-2006, 08:49 PM
I would get some but aptasia doesn't grow for me for some reason.

Will they eat fugly zoo polyps?? :mrgreen:

beckel
07-03-2006, 09:21 PM
please put me down for 2... Thanks Bruce

TheReefGeek
07-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Psyire, what was your quantity again?

Psyire
07-04-2006, 04:41 AM
I'll take a dozen, plus or minus a few. Unless you need an exact number...

Dabbler
07-04-2006, 05:32 AM
I'll take 8 or so I have a good feeding ground for them :)

TheReefGeek
07-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Awesome, so we will definately have no boxing fee, and they will be $14 each.

Anyone else?

Joshua Jones
07-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Put me down for 15 or so..

howdy20012002
07-09-2006, 04:48 PM
any word on when this is going to happen?
I would like to have this done by the end of this week.
please LMK
thanks
Neal

TheReefGeek
07-10-2006, 02:44 PM
People are still jumping in, so I don't want to close it down yet, but soon.

Do you want the order placed by the end of the week you mean?

howdy20012002
07-10-2006, 03:55 PM
I would like to have the order in by the end of the week. I have one tank where the aiptasia is right out of control
This has been ongoing for a couple of weeks....people should've figured out by now whether or not they want in on it.
If they change their minds, they can start another order. Just my opinion.
If not, I will just place the order myself. I don't really care about the difference of a buck a piece for them.
Lets try to rap this up.
I think we should put the cut off for wednesday.
Order Thursday
Receive order on Friday.
Have u discussed with salty underground how we are going to work this logistically?
Are we going to pay them direct and just tell them that is part of the edmonton order? or does one person have to pay them?
Are you willing to receive the package? If not, who can?
As it happens, I am going to be at work for duty (Military) for 24 hours on friday thru to saturday at 10 am. So hopefully someone will be able to hold mine for that time period till saturday.
LMK what u think.
Neal

TheReefGeek
07-10-2006, 10:35 PM
I am just waiting for a shipping quote, then I will give everyone a cost per bhergia, and you can place your orders.

Once I have the shipping quote I will put a deadline on order submission. Hopefully we can get them shipped by the end of the week.

Everyone will pay their own cost per bhergia, based upon an estimated shipping cost. If the cost varies significantly because people back out, then I will cover the distance, and collect from people when they come to pickup. I wouldn't expect anything to change by more than 1-2 bucks per nudi.

If you want to use credit card it will cost $1.00 US to do so.

TheReefGeek
07-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Saltyunderground doesn't have enough stock to ship until next Wednesday, July 19th. They will ship Fedex overnight, so it should arrive Thursday, but if there are any troubles it will arrive Friday.

The live guarantee will hold if the shipment arrives on Thursday. No guarantee if the shipment arrives Friday, but they ship 2-day all the time without problems I am told.

Shipping will be $2.00 US per bhergia, and the bhergia themselves will be $14.00 US. Tax/brokerage will be $1.00 US per bhergia, but if this doesn't get charged on our order (cross your fingers!), I will reimburse when you pickup.

Therefore total cost per bhergia will be $17.00 US. If there are unforseen costs, or it ends up cost less, I may have to collect or reimburse $1.00 or so per bhergia when you pickup. (if people cancel, price will go up slightly for shipping, which I will cover, then collect at pickup time, rounded to the dollar per bhergia. If taxes/brokerage is not charged, I will reimburse)

I will get the bhergia shipped to my office, unless someone else wants to volunteer a location they will for sure be home at.

Please submit your orders and pay via pay-pal to saltyunderground@yahoo.com (javascript:main.compose('new','t=saltyunderground @yahoo.com')) by the end of the day Monday, July 17th. The fee to use a credit card is an additional $1.00 US. For example if you use VISA, and buy 5 bhergia, your total cost = 5x17 + 1 = $86.00 US. Please pay in US dollars through paypal.

Once you have ordered your bhergia, of if you decide not to participate, please post to this thread so I know what is happening.

muck
07-11-2006, 03:28 PM
I believe Brokerage is included in Overnight Shipments.
You still will have to pay GST though.

TheReefGeek
07-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Good stuff. Right now shipping and whatnot is an estimate. The shipping is $70 US or so, that will be divided by the # of bhergia. If we get 35, then that is $2.00 US each. Then it will vary up or down depending on how many are actually ordered.

I will be paying very last (on Tuesday after everyone submits by end of the day Monday), so it may cost me more than $17, or it may cost me less, then I will collect or reimburse accordingly.

Funky_Fish14
07-15-2006, 05:28 AM
You mentioned Paypal, or visa. Did that mean Visa through paypal or simply Visa alone, or paypal alone? I cant get my Paypal account set-up(every time I try, it says there is something wrong, lol). Anyways, it would be great if I could get in on this. Im only looking for about 4. Thanks!

Chris

TheReefGeek
07-15-2006, 06:35 AM
They have requested to pay through Paypal.

You can call them to see if regular Visa will work or not. they are also quick on e-mail.

Has anybody ordered any of these? nobody has posted anything yet

beckel
07-15-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm not set up with Pay Pal so please cancel my order for two.. thanks, Bruce

Psyire
07-15-2006, 08:08 PM
I will be ordering my 10-12 before or on monday.

Funky_Fish14
07-16-2006, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the heads up on Email, Rory. I have messaged them reguarding payment issues.

I hope I can hop in, im looking at getting 5, if anyone was wanting to keep track of the total?

Chris

TheReefGeek
07-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Yep anyone in edmonton/area can hop on this order no problem.

Dabbler
07-17-2006, 03:49 AM
ok sent my payment in for 8 of the guys for 136 us
Cliff

howdy20012002
07-17-2006, 06:16 AM
i just put in my order for 5
thanks
Neal

Psyire
07-17-2006, 10:24 PM
I just placed my order for 10 Berghia's. (through paypal)

TheReefGeek
07-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Good stuff, keep em coming! :)

Funky_Fish14
07-18-2006, 12:02 AM
My order for 5 is in!

Cheers ;)

TheReefGeek
07-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Ok, we are over the 30 count for ordering, so I am asking for a shipping discount, I will let you know how it goes.

Here is the rundown:

Neal 5
Cliff 8
Chris 5
Craig 10

I am getting them shipped to my office, and I will drive them to my place and seperate them out into containers of the quantity you ordered, with some aiptasia in each container for them to eat until you can pick them up.

Lisa at saltyunderground said they should be here tommorow, or at least Friday, I will let you know when they arrive and are ready for pickup, and hopefully have a small refund for everyone.

TheReefGeek
07-18-2006, 04:59 PM
We sort of got a shipping discount. The box required to ship ended up being larger and twice as heavy as the quote was for, but they are going to eat the additional shipping charges. Plus there is lots of additional paperwork and research that was required on their part so that we shouldn't have any trouble with customs. I also have an e-mail stating that ornamental fish for aquarium use are not restricted in any way, but that they are subject to a 15% duty, which we may or may not get charged. If there is no duty I will have about $1.00 return per bhergia for everyone, if we get charged duty I will have to collect an additional $1.00 from everyone.

I will let everyone know the tracking number when it ships tommorow.

TheReefGeek
07-19-2006, 03:12 PM
Here is the tracking number:

Or follow this link:

https://www.fedex.com/fedexiv/us/findit/nrp.jsp?tracknumbers=791054563789&language=en&opco=FX&clientype=ivshpalrt

TheReefGeek
07-20-2006, 03:11 PM
The shipment is at the Edmonton airport, but it is stuck at customs.

2 issues.

1. They tried to clear it through my company, not through FedEx. That is solved, I faxed them authorization to clear through FedEx

2. No commercial invoice was included in the shipment. I am in the process of getting one filled out and faxed to them so they will release it.

muck
07-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Good luck with the shipment Rory.
Don't be surprised though if they make you come to the airport and walk it through customs yourself. :sad:

TheReefGeek
07-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Well I got all the documentation to them, and the tracking info indicates it is In Transit once again.

The shipment was actually at the Calgary airport though, not Edmonton. If it has not arrived to my work by the end of the day, I will call FedEx and pick it up myself at either the Airport, or the FedEx depot in the East end, depending on where they send it first.

TheReefGeek
07-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Salty Underground sent me the acclimation procedures, you can download a Word File here:

http://www.thereefgeek.com/personal/Temp/

Everyone will get their own pipet to transfer their bhergia.

Assuming I get them today, I will be home after 7pm for people to come pick them up at:

9506 157 street
home: 466-5255
cell: 708-6667

I will have them floating in my sump in the original packaging, you will have to use a pipet and bring a zip-loc bag to transfer your bhergia in.

As long as the bhergia are kept at a contant salinity and temperature, they don't need aeration like typical reef animals to survive, they are commonly bred in small cups floated in a tank, so they should be fine floating in my sump until you can get them.

TheReefGeek
07-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Good info on this site too:

http://www.berghia.net/acclimation.html

TheReefGeek
07-20-2006, 06:54 PM
The berghia are now at the Edmonton airport, waiting to be cleared by customs in the next 1-3 hours according to FedEx.

They are open until 5:30, they are going to call me when it is cleared and I will go pick them up.

I will bring them home and float them in my sump, I have a meeting to attend but will be back by 7:00pm for people to come get their nudis.

I will post when I know I actually have them.

Funky_Fish14
07-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Fantastic! Thank-you very much for the updates and order Rory!

TheReefGeek
07-20-2006, 09:49 PM
The nudis are cleared through customs, I am on my way to the airport now.

If there are no unexpected charges, I will have a dollar refund per nudi for everyone when they pick them up.

If I have time I will seperate them into zip-locs in the quantity everyone ordered, because they are only seperated into 2 bags right now.

Again my info is:

9506 157 street

Pickup any time after 7pm tonight, just call before hand in case anything unexpected happens.

See everyone tonight!

Rory

Funky_Fish14
07-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Fantastic! Thanks Rory!

I'll probably be by around.... 1AM? You said after 7pm right? :lol: Will be by at a reasonable time(7:15-7:30ish) hehe :)

TheReefGeek
07-20-2006, 11:21 PM
If you had to come at 1am, that is fine too. :)

The berghia are now temperature acclimating in their bags in my fuge with the lights off. I am leaving for an appointment, will be back before 7pm.

Saltycritter only sent 2 bags with little water which we have to split 5 ways, other than that everything looks great, the berghia are moving.

I have zip locs for everyone, when I get home I will split up the nudis and get everyone's refunds ready.

Dabbler
07-21-2006, 12:14 AM
I should be there close to 7:00
thanks

Funky_Fish14
07-21-2006, 02:01 AM
Hey Rory,

Thank-you very much for having taken the time to set-up and pick-up this order!

I cant wait to see these little guys in action! Haha.

Chris

TheReefGeek
07-21-2006, 02:51 AM
Ok, so everyone who was picking up has picked up, hope they work well for you guys!

*edit* everyone but Josh, where are ya?

Neal & Psyire I am going to hold yours in ziploc bags in my fuge until you can get them. I don't want to acclimate yours with mine in case it goes bad, and it isn't needed, I will do a small 10% water change in the ziplocs every day though.

Neal I will message you a time when I will be home tommorow night, probably 9:30 - 10:00 pm or so. *edit* Josh you will have to come at this time as well

Psyire I will hold them as long as you need, I will feed them some small or cut up aiptasia. Hopefully your sister can come to my work on Monday and pick them up for you, I will put them in the styro container they shipped in for you.

Psyire
07-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Awesome, thanks Rory. I appreciate it.

Anyone have any observations they would like to reflect on? Are these things truly Aptasia bane?

TheReefGeek
07-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Indeed they are. I fed all the nudis last night, mine were in a small container I dropped a couple aiptasia in there for them, they were gone within 10 minutes.

The aiptasia I dropped in the ziploc bags were gone this morning too.

I have to find a good way to snag aiptasia off the rocks for feeding though, its tricky!

And salty underground was an excellent vendor, I would not hesitate to order again if need be.

Psyire
07-21-2006, 06:48 PM
You may be able to get an aptasia to release easier by squirting the base of it with vinegar.

TheReefGeek
07-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Neal, I will be home at 10pm tonight if you can pick up then.

If I get home earlier, I will post.

TheReefGeek
07-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Neal you have a PM too, but I am home all night now, just call ahead

Same with you Josh, if you can make it tonight

TheReefGeek
07-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Psyire, what are the plans for pickup on Monday? Is your system going to be able to meet me at my work in the morning? I work at 3620 93st

Psyire all your bhergia are still doing well, but Joshua was unable to pick his up, and some of his look like they are dieing and some look already dead. Same ziplocs, same water, same feeding, same small water changes hanging side-by-side, I don't know how to explain it! I have transferred them into a larger container that is floating in a temperature controlled tank now, and fed all the nudis again. I have found that they produce a lot of waste, I have been trying to suck up all the leftover crap out of the bags when I do the small water change with a turkey baster.

If none of his make it I will give him 2 of mine so he can breed a larger population for himself at least.

I just wish he picked up thursday night, because now I feel terrible!

Psyire
07-22-2006, 11:55 PM
Yeah, she will be able too. It'll probably be around 2 or so in the afternoon. Monday. Feel free to add them to your system, and remove them later if you wish. Hopefully they pull through...

howdy20012002
07-23-2006, 06:46 AM
I can only find one that is alive in my tank...not cool...
Didn't realize that they would be so susceptible to things..although I am not sure what would have killed them???
Guess I will have to order some more.
there goes 75 bucks

Funky_Fish14
07-24-2006, 12:01 AM
All 5 of mine are alive in a container eating aiptasias that I give them, and I plan to keep them this way until they become larger. I will then place infested rocks into a bucket for a day or two while they clean those off... and I will do this so that I wont loose track of any.

Howdy: Its likely they are well hidden in your rocks, like the site says, they are nocturnal... im sure they'd be tough to find at night too though?

TheReefGeek
07-24-2006, 04:08 AM
I can only find one that is alive in my tank...not cool...
Didn't realize that they would be so susceptible to things..although I am not sure what would have killed them???
Guess I will have to order some more.
there goes 75 bucks

Neal, not necessarily, they are supposed to be very good at disguising themselves, and they are nocternal, it is not uncommon not to see them for a long time, months even, when the population builds and they start venturing out of the rock in search of food. They are so small, any sized rock could hide many many of them, so keep the temperature steady in the tank, do regular water changes and be patient I guess!

That said, I am having trouble keeping mine in containers, psyire I really need to know if you have someone picking them up or not tommorow at my work! Yours are still alive but I think barely, same with mine.

FunkyFish, what might you be doing differently? I am feeding them whole live aiptasia I collected off my sandbed, as well as smaller pieces, I am keeping their temperature steady, and doing a small water change every day, because they create one hell of a mess eating the aiptasia!

howdy20012002
07-24-2006, 04:18 AM
I have actually found a couple of the bodies..so yea..they aren't all alive.
I have found one alive on the rocks..but yea..ain't looking good.
Learning experience I guess

TheReefGeek
07-24-2006, 03:55 PM
I have found one alive on the rocks..but yea..ain't looking good.
Learning experience I guess

Yeah but what is the learning experience! Is there something we did wrong?

Maybe just too many in a small container? Maybe they have to be kept to 2 or 3 in a zip-loc or larger size? Maybe too many of them in such a small container degrades water quality too quickly, as in a couple days.

I am going to split up my remaining aiptasias into multiple tupperwears, i will do the same for yours when I get home psyire.

If I can ever breed these guys, I will make up your quantites you lost.

Psyire, still haven't heard from you bud!

Psyire
07-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Yeah, she will be able too. It'll probably be around 2 or so in the afternoon. Monday. Feel free to add them to your system, and remove them later if you wish. Hopefully they pull through...

Did you not see this Rory? Do you have them with you at work today? My sis will be going through Edmonton right around 2pm. Let me know if she can pick them up.

TheReefGeek
07-24-2006, 04:44 PM
I missed that post, sorry!

I will go home at lunch to pick them up for you, I will be back by 12:45pm or so.

Tell your sister I am at 3620 93 street, and it is the NOV Downhole Tools - Accounting & Inventory Building.

Just come in the front door, there is no reception but just ask anyone for Rory, and I will keep my eyes open.

TheReefGeek
07-24-2006, 04:49 PM

Neal, did you drip acclimate for 2 hours?

Psyire
07-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks, Rory!

TheReefGeek
07-24-2006, 05:36 PM
No problem, hopefully they make it to you ok, I checked on them last night and they were ok, hopefully that is still the situation this afternoon.

TheReefGeek
07-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Psyire your nudis look good, they are waiting for your sister to pick them up.

You should feed them while acclimating them, some of them are going white instead of brown.

Funky_Fish14
07-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Im not sure what im doing differently. I've left them in the original water, and havent done any water changes so far, but im about to increase the volume of water and container size.

All im doing, is I have them in the ogriginal water, to which I added a small 1" shell from a dead maxima clam. I Have them in a small container that is 'sorta' sealed(doesnt leak water around the top) and im floating it in a temperature controlled bin of saltwater. I have the temp at 77 ish. Too high and any nudis can and will croak. I have only thrown in two small aiptasias that were harvested off rock so far. Will update on what im doing and the nudi's progress.

I hope everyone's pulls through! Im ready to give you all offspring if yours die. I have 4 or 5 eggsacs at the moment. I'll see how it goes.

Chris

TheReefGeek
07-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Chris, glad it is going well for you so far.

Psiyre, your sister picked your up at 3pm.

I think I am going to release mine into a 20g as a rock cleaning tank, instead of breeding them in the container. Hopefully they breed and I too can try to get everyone else who lost some, their nudis.

Anyone found good information on how to breed aiptasia's quickly? I am going to take a few heavily infested rock and some non-infested dry rock and put them into a tank, but im not sure if I will need heat/light/oxygetn for the aiptasia or not?

Funky_Fish14
07-24-2006, 10:31 PM
I think any average reef temperature is fine, 74-79?

I also know that lots of light and nutrient rich water+feedings can help grow aiptasia. From my readings, I saw that it was suggested they stay in a dark, nutrient rich container for them to start producing clones by a-sexual reproduction, but I also noted that damaging them(Ie: Chopping them up) can cause lots of budding and regeneration of pieces. I figure decent lighting(a fluorescent strip or so) and heavy feedings, as well as hacking at them, should produce good results of growth. This is what im about to try.

Chris

TheReefGeek
07-25-2006, 03:01 AM
Well for me it doesn't matter, my berghia are now toast. And I was about to put them into my 20g tank too. At noon they were fine, 9 hours later they turned into expensive small piles of white goo.

Chris, hopefully you continue to have success.

*warning, following is venting!*

I don't know what to do. even if I took out all my rock to "cook" it, that wouldn't get rid of the aiptasia. Besides selling off all my livestock, draining the tank and letting it sit, I don't know what else to try with these darn things, it is ruining my reef aquarium experience, I can tell you that!

And with my 3 week wedding/honeymoon coming up, shutting down the tank now is becoming dangerously tempting. Maybe I will change my mind by the morning! !@#$!@#$%

Funky_Fish14
07-25-2006, 04:17 AM
I'll do my darndest to keep mine going! So far, 4 out of 5 are eating well. One didnt eat the last time I fed, but still has a slight pigmentation from when I picked it up, or maybe it ate a little here. Im taking it real slow. I hope to work them into a 1g acrylic container. I hope I dont have any problems! :(

Rory, Im sure the aiptasia's in your tank wont cause too many problems? I can also say that if berghias were able to colonize in there, im sure they'd clean 'er out real quick.

Did you guys drip acclimate right away real quick? Im still floating in the original water, and could even smell some decay from the dead aiptasia remains I added, but the berghias seemed fine. I am starting to add small amounts(squirt-tubes full) of water from my tank that has been temperature matched. Will slowly quadruple the volume of water in their container.

I'll keep everyone updated!

Rory, any chance of cross contamination between tools you were using? I rinse everything I use with RO/DI water all the time, also, I dont let chlorinated water near any of my tank stuff except test tubes when I clean them, then they are rinsed with RO/DI anyways. I use new towels all the time, and completely dry anything thats wet. I also only used new containers thus far with anything I did reguarding the Nudis.

Chris

Psyire
07-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Mine seem to be doing fine, I'll report back in the future... as I see progression,

TheReefGeek
07-25-2006, 03:37 PM
I think they died from the decay from the feeder aiptasia.
I only fed one small aiptasia per day though, and syphoned out any remains the next day, but with such a small water volume the decay was probably too much, so everyone with berghias left should be carefull of that.

I also fed some aiptasia "bits", maybe stick with whole aiptasias so they are alive and not decaying right away?

muck
07-25-2006, 03:38 PM
What was the water temp you had them in Rory?

Funky_Fish14
07-25-2006, 06:43 PM
I did the aiptasia harvesting thing(torn feet though) too, and I did get bits and decay left over, which I took out after a day, and they were still fine.

Currently adding 6ml of water to their container every 7-9hrs.

Chris

TheReefGeek
07-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Water temp was 80

Funky_Fish14
07-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Hmm, that could be a little high for them. A couple years ago, I lost a lettuce nudi at 81, and another assorted nudi at 83. Not sure if that coupled with anything else might be the cause?

Chris

TheReefGeek
07-25-2006, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't think so, because people's tanks get to 82 and 84 all the time, and nowhere in my reading said they were particularly temperature senstative compared to other reef creatures.

If 80 is too high I would have suspected warnings from vendors about this, or in my other reading.

Not saying you are wrong though, it could be, I just hope not or else the nudibranch colonies in many people's tanks would be whipped out so easily.

Psyire
07-26-2006, 12:33 AM
My tank temp hovers right around 81 and these guys are crawling around and now laying eggs! I take this as a good sign...

Funky_Fish14
07-26-2006, 01:45 AM
Im suggesting the 'slightly higher' temperature coupled with something else might have been the cause..

Dabbler
07-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Well my tank made it to 82 and I thought mine were goners...but my wife (doublette) saw one cruising around last night. I hope the others made it

Psyire
08-03-2006, 05:12 AM
How are other people's nudi's doing?

I went away for 5 days and have since been back for 2 and haven't seen any trace of them. (not sure if they are just out late at night or not)

Funky_Fish14
08-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Mine are doing good, still in that container but still increasing the volume of water they are in. Im feeding them aiptasia every 2-3 days, as often as I get a chance to pull one out of the tank, let them eat for half an hour, then remove it(Im using the same one each time, haha, its fairly large).

Chris

doublette
08-03-2006, 06:01 PM
I haven't been able to see any of ours for the last four or five days... I am beginning to wonder if they are still alive in there.
Debbie

Psyire
08-05-2006, 10:39 PM
I spotted one of mine last night out on the rockwork, I was glad to see atleast 1 alive. The rock I put them on when I put them in the tank seems to be less populated with aptasia than before.. so perhaps they are doing their job afterall. (the one I seen was atleast twice as big as when I added them)

doublette
08-06-2006, 03:19 AM
Well I have yet to see ours but I did notice that I had one aiptasia that was shrivelled up for a couple of days and is now gone, and another one is that same area is also starting to look the same. Perhaps it's the nudi's at work? I sure hope so!
Debbie