PDA

View Full Version : Live rock question

MikeP
06-26-2006, 07:21 PM
I've been building up the supply of LR in my tank. Being new to this I have been checking out different stores in town, I was wondering if it's o.k. to mix types of LR? All the rock I have bought looks the same so far but the latest store I was in has FUJI LR and it seemed to have a different look. The FUJI LR was a bit more expensive ($7.99/pound) but the guy at the store claims it is lighter the the stuff I bought elsewhere.

Thanks for any help
M

niloc16
06-26-2006, 08:04 PM
its very good to get different types of live rock. you get different hitchhikers and beneficial organisms from different locations. the lightest most porous rocks with lots of openings and holes are the best because they have more surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. it is also beneficial for the fish because they create natural hiding places for them. where abouts are you from? if you are from the vancouver area private message me and i'll let you know some good places to get LR from

TheReefGeek
06-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Its perfectly fine to mix up your rock, try to pick pieces according to what you want your "aquascape" to look like. So you probably want so larger pieces for bases, some longer ones for arches, maybe round pieces for littls "islands" and maybe a small rubble zone.