PDA

View Full Version : What animal keeps the sandbed white?

Coldwater
06-26-2006, 07:03 PM
I have made posts like this before and I am still looking for a good thing to keep my sandbed free of crap and other junk. I cant have any inverts becuse they get their eyes bit off by my cowfish and it cant be a really small fish either because of my lionfish and moray. I had a sea cucumber that exploded once should I try another one? Any help would be really awsome.

Matt

fortheloveofcrabs
06-26-2006, 07:08 PM
I've heard that conchs are *not bad* at sand bed maintence. But I have a tiger cucumber and he (well, I guess 'it') does a pretty solid job.

DanG
06-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Get some sort of larger conch, a strawberry or even a spider conch if you have a big enough tank.

Coldwater
06-26-2006, 08:01 PM
It is a 73 gallon FOWLR. You know how much strawberry or spider conches are? Might be a good idea to get one. Also are there any conches that would get way too big?

Matt

danny zubot
06-26-2006, 08:36 PM
In your tank I'd recommend a pistol shrimp. They will hide under your rocks to avoid being eaten, and snap at any fish that looks at them the wrong way. They also stir the sand under your rocks, and at night they will gather all other rubble to use in their caves.

sphelps
06-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Best thing for sand are the sifting gobies (Valenciennea). My favorate is the golden head, I've seen them as large as 4".

TheReefGeek
06-26-2006, 10:05 PM
I love my dragon goby, he is a good 4-5 inches, not sure if that would be gib enough to fend for himself in your tank or not.

Problem with pistol shrimp is that they tend to burrow under/around one section of rocks for a long time, and only move around the tank occasionally, and they wont come out into the open space and tough that rock, so overall they do move a lot of sand, but not evenly or in the right places like a sifting goby does.

Xtasia
06-26-2006, 10:58 PM
I have a sand dollar... tiger tail sea cucumber, orange spotted conch, court jester goby (not good with a lion fish)

there's some starfish too.

maybe try the sand dollar. I've had mine for 2 years and I just LOVE it. see it lots.

Fishguy52
06-27-2006, 02:24 AM
i have a Ladder Glider goby and he does a great job of keepling the sand clean and the can get about 6" or so. he also burrower and is fun to look at i don't know if he would get along with anyone bigger them him. just an idea

sphelps
06-27-2006, 04:06 AM
I love my dragon goby, he is a good 4-5 inches, not sure if that would be gib enough to fend for himself in your tank or not.

Problem with pistol shrimp is that they tend to burrow under/around one section of rocks for a long time, and only move around the tank occasionally, and they wont come out into the open space and tough that rock, so overall they do move a lot of sand, but not evenly or in the right places like a sifting goby does.

Yes I had a dragon goby once as well, great sifters and they aren't supper colorful which I find to be a good thing in a predator tank.

reeferaddict
06-27-2006, 04:25 AM
I have an Engineer Goby... probably better than a foot long... if you get one make sure your rock work is stable and secure... he'll dig and rearrange the sandbed constantly... mines always pretty white.. :mrgreen:

Coderad
06-27-2006, 04:32 AM
I just bought a Dragon Goby and within 3 day my sand was bright white again.

Delphinus
06-27-2006, 05:36 AM
I hear those siphon tubes can do a pretty nice job too.

TheReefGeek
06-27-2006, 02:30 PM

That sounds like work. :)

Coldwater
06-27-2006, 06:13 PM

I have one of those and it does a great job but I have to do it very often and when I do it I have to keep lookout for my lionfish. I am thinking about buying a Dragon Goby or sand dollar if I can find either one.

Matt