PDA

View Full Version : 36" Aqualife Pro Thoughts...

fortheloveofcrabs
06-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Hey,

I'm thinking about getting an Aqualife Pro for my 36" tank. Has anyone used it? My concern is that the tank will be lit unevenly as there is only 1 center mounted MH bulb. Any thoughts on this fixture? The good the bad and the ugly?

Thanks!

Joe Reefer
06-26-2006, 06:37 PM
http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25578&highlight=aqualight

OCDP
06-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Yeah check the thread out, read up on it before you go through with it. I thought because it's such a great fixture , all in one.. that I would be super happy with it. But unfortunately I'm not completely satisfied. As for the spotlight look, if you can hang your fixture, that would lessen the spotlight appearance IMO.. but I still think you'd see it a bit. I don't have this problem because my tank is only 24" long and like, 15" deep or something like that...

fortheloveofcrabs
06-26-2006, 07:01 PM
What don't you like about the fixture? I've read that thread, but it doesn't really talk about the spotlight effect. So it does happen (the bright middle) section. Does anyone have any tank shots of this?

OCDP
06-26-2006, 07:15 PM
I have 2 FTS in my thread : http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25557

I don't know if it really shows much of the spotlight look, this is a standard 20g tank though. I'm sure it would be more noticeable on a larger tank... you can somewhat see a spotlight effect in the picture.

edit: sorry forgot to answer your question. What I don't like about the fixture, is the fact that I have no open top, I really love to be able to work in my tank without hassle. It becomes a huge pain. Adding top-off water is a PAIN (daily chore) because I have to take the fixture off every time to dump the water in. I don't like the fact that because my tank is so shallow and because I have the 150w HQI and actinics, it is all too much light and gives my water a cloudy effect (may not be like this for you.... ) There are a few drawbacks for me :p

G1GY
06-26-2006, 07:21 PM
I have the 48" with 2 250 watt HQI's and love it. (This probably doesn't help you though. Sorry.)

fortheloveofcrabs
06-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but can I buy another HQI bulb that's 20kk and use it in this fixture? I.E. Will any (assuming same wattage) HQI MH buld work in this fixture? Eg. brand, color?

G1GY
06-26-2006, 10:00 PM
I think there's a whole bunch of DE bulbs that can be used in that fixture. (You don't have to use the Coralife 10K bulb.)

OCDP
06-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Yeah you can use whatever you'd like. I am using a Coralife 20k (all that I had available locally.. bulb SUCKS) Anyhow... yes , you may use whatever bulb you'd like :mrgreen:

Chaloupa
06-27-2006, 01:02 AM
I'm using a 24" Aqualight pro (I know, not quite what you are asking BUT) I love the fixture, easy to use, fits well, no fiddling around with a bunch of stuff and it works...very well...downside, yah putting in stuff that is larger into the tank you have to have a helper to hold the light to the side as I mount it on the tank. (It's a 65g hex so tall and narrow) I am really happy with the light....I just wish we had gotten the 250w instead of 150w...it just wasn't out yet though...we are thinking of getting the 36 for our 50g tank (we have a 13000K Geisemann (sp?) on ours, not what it came with)

Quagmire
06-27-2006, 01:40 AM
I have a 24" 250w fixture over my 36" tank.Some spotlight effect,but not to the point of looking bad.So far I like the fixture.I dont find accessing the tank to be a problem,I just lift on the front of the light with one hand,and reach in with the other.Or a person can always hang it,if you wanted better access.