PDA

View Full Version : How much light do Anenomes require?

Puff
06-26-2006, 02:16 AM
ive never kept anenomes before, and am in the (semi) process of setting up a new tank. how much light do they require?

quick and easy question ;)

thanks in advance :D

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-26-2006, 02:18 AM
As much as possible. MH is much preferred. For a 20-24" deep tank, you can get away with 175w Single Ended MH or 150w Double Ended MH.

Anthony

Puff
06-26-2006, 02:34 AM
so you wouldnt need 2 MH bulbs? thank god!lol

now its time to try to track some down.

what's the best way to mount them over the tank? or is it best to just build them into the canopy? the heat created is a concern. and im not so sure about the best way to control the heat in the summer. i dont WANT to have to buy something to help cool the water, but if its needed, then so be it :D

DanG
06-26-2006, 04:17 AM
A couple of well placed fans blowing on the water surface will help increase evaporation and in turn lower the water temp.

Psyire
06-26-2006, 04:38 AM
I'm surprised nobody has asked what kind of anenome?

Puff
06-26-2006, 05:13 AM
lol...

umm...i dont know what kind of anenome...

what are the kinds that the clownfish like to play in?lol

(im still learning here!lol. im good with my large south american cichlids, but am still learning all my different marine bits and pieces :D )

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-26-2006, 05:43 AM
Bubble tip anemones (BTAs) and Long Tentacle anemones (LTAs) seem to be the best in terms of surviving in captivity. However, not every clownfish has watched "Nemo" and so some don't realize they're expected to host in an anemone.

Puff
06-26-2006, 06:06 AM
lol. i know THAT much (that clowns dont necessarily like anenomes). i was just saying "the ones that clownfish like" because those are the ones that i really like the look of. :D

i know that a lot of clowns are born in captivity, and many will have never even seen an anenome before.hehehe

G1GY
06-26-2006, 06:59 AM
If you get clowns that don't like anenomes............... They'll just host one of your corals or even a powerhead. :lol:

Ruth
06-26-2006, 01:42 PM
As a general rule clown fish are relatively easy to keep and don't need an anemone to be happy. Anemone's on the other hand are harder to keep. They do need quite a bit of light and very stable water conditions. If you are just starting out I would hold off on getting an anemone until you are sure that your tank is up and running and stable.
A wandering anemone can easily get caught in a powerhead and completely crash your tank in no time at all.
I have clown fish hosting in Sebae Anemones, RBTA anemone and carpet anemone. OTOH I also have them hosting in Anthelia and Hammer coral (the hammer is not too happy about that):biggrin: There is a link on this site that explains what anemones are natural hosts for certain kinds of clowns
Just my 2 pennies worth.

Beverly
06-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Here's RC's Anemone FAQ page for more information ...

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

TheReefGeek
06-26-2006, 05:59 PM
lol. i know THAT much (that clowns dont necessarily like anenomes)

In the wild, every clownfish hosts an anemone, without exception.

But not all types of clownfish will host all types of anemonies. BUT, in a tank, clownfish will host non-traditional anemonies, just dependson your luck.

Go basic, get percs or false-percs, and an RBTA anemone, or long-tentacle. Research the specific lighting requirements of any anemone before buying it. I would go with a long-tentacle because they will bury their base in the sand, and not wander all over your reef killing your corals. These should be put under Metal Halide lighting, each bulb covers about 2ftx2ft over a tank.

Psyire
06-26-2006, 06:17 PM
I have a clownfish who hosts in my hairy green mushroom. (sometimes I'm scared that the mushroom will eat the clown when it's sleeping) There is a condy anemone in the tank but the clown won't host in it. My 3 sexy shrimp do 'host' in the condy however. I'm debating on whether to get another clown as a mate... but it's kinda neat just having 1 as well.

TheReefGeek
06-26-2006, 06:21 PM
I have had clowns host my very large colt coral, and strangely, my fungia plate coral.

OCDP
06-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Heh, the strangest thing I have seen my clownfish host was my Seio powerhead. They would literally sleep in it at night, I had the pump setup Tunze style. And at the top of the pump was a little crack where they would wedge into and sleep in. I totally regret not taking pictures of this.. it was pretty funny.

Puff
06-26-2006, 07:17 PM
i dont even really want a clownfish. i was just saying "Anenomes that clownfish like" because i didnt know the name of them.lol.

i just like the look of anenomes.

i know that it's best to wait until your tank is matured before adding anything like that. i was just wondering how much light they need because i was debating between two light setups. but i think ive found which setup im going to get, and it has PLENTY of light :D

TheReefGeek
06-26-2006, 07:22 PM
What did you decide on? What are your tank dimensions?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-26-2006, 08:39 PM
I think he's getting a dual 175w with 1 4' VHO 110w actinic over a 4' 55g tank.

TheReefGeek
06-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Go with 250's, then you don't have to upgrade later if you get a deeper tank.

Beverly
06-26-2006, 08:44 PM
We've got an RBTA in my 36" x 18" x 24" high tank lit with 4 x 95 watt VHOs. The RBTA is up pretty high in the tank. It gets fairly low water movement and hasn't moved more than an inch or two since December 2005. It has no bubble tips, but is about six times the size now as when first introduced to the tank. A pair of PITA tomato clowns host in it.

We've also got a GBTA in our 24" x 18" x 24" high tank lit with a 175w 14000K MH. It's located low in the tank and also gets low water movement. This anemone moved around quite a bit when we first got it in Oct or Nov 2005, and I'm pretty sure the movement was caused by too much water flow at the front of the tank. It has split twice and we sold the clones. The GBTA we have left has huge bubbles since we replaced the old bulb with a new one, and is also about six times the size of the original GBTA. A pair of ocellaris clowns host in it, but since they've begun spawning regularly, they don't spend much time in the GBTA anymore.

Have videos of both BTAs and can post links to them if you are interested.

Puff
06-26-2006, 10:29 PM
i still havent decided exactly which anenomes i want. but i have plenty of time to further research and make my choice.

thanks a lot for all the help.

and beverly, if you could, id love to see those videos :D

OCDP
06-26-2006, 11:21 PM
IMO , you should start with something hardy. Like a BTA. If you succeed and can keep it long-term.. then advance to a harder to keep anemone. Just a suggestion, may save you some money and headaches. I know that once you start getting into carpets, sebaes, and magnificas.. things get a bit more tricky. So make sure you read up. Anemones are great!! But to keep one requires quite a bit, and your research and preparation will pay off big time.

TheReefGeek
06-26-2006, 11:24 PM
I would go with a long tentacle over a BTA if you have halides, because they will stay in the sand and not move all over your rockwork knocking down corals and burning them.

But second to a long tentacle, I recommend a BTA as well.

Puff
06-26-2006, 11:26 PM
i was looking at both today in a store. i like both types...guess i just have to really read up before i make any kind of decision.

with this marine tank im treating it much differently than my freshwater tanks. with my freshwater tanks i was too much of an impulse buyer, "oh...ive been looking for one of those FOREVER!! better get it now...." lol

its safe to say i learned my lesson, and havent bought fish in around a year. actually i just cleared out well over half of my fish.lol

im down to a small tank of africans and my flowerhorn.lol

Beverly
06-27-2006, 01:49 PM
and beverly, if you could, id love to see those videos :D

Don't know why, but video download times seem to be longer than usual, so please be patient. You might want to right click on them, save them to your desktop, then play them.

One of the more recent GBTA videos...

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/v-gbta-ja-ap-06.wmv
January 17 to April 25, 2006
(320 x 240 pixels, 10.5 MB, 2:21 minutes)

Video of the RBTA being fed...

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/v-rbta-feeding-mysis-ja-21-06.wmv
January 21, 2006
(320 x 240 pixels, 5.7 MB, 1:28 minutes)

Gads, two BTAs sure look small back then compared to how they look today. Should make a new vid of each of them some day soon to show the difference in size.

For all my reef videos....

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/videos.htm