PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best skimmer?

Coderad
06-26-2006, 01:06 AM
I have just bought a sump and I don't have room on the back of my tank for both the overflow box and the HOB Skimmer. What is a good external skimmer I can plumb into my sump?

albert_dao
06-26-2006, 02:02 AM
EuroReef skimmers have a long proven track record. You'd be looking at the RC series.

TheReefGeek
06-26-2006, 10:44 PM
I vote for ASM skimmers if you can run in-sump, because they can have slow leaks so no out-of-sump use.

Buy a gate valve and some PVC and you have very find control over them, and they are easily moded to be recirculating skimmers as well.

TheReefGeek
06-26-2006, 10:44 PM
For more specific recommendations, we need to know your total water volume, and the height of your stand.

Coderad
06-26-2006, 11:10 PM
I have a 32 gal DT and I just bought a 10gal sump, the tank stand is about
30" to the bottom of the tank.
Any tips on plumbing the skimmer into the sump would be great. It acrylic. I was thinking about just putting th skimmer pump next to the intake pump and run the return line over the half wall and in to the bottom but I am not sure if it is going to work properly? Here is a pic thanks

TheReefGeek
06-26-2006, 11:23 PM
I always over-buy my skimmers so you don't have to upgrade down the road.

30" is a good amount of room, but you will be limited by your sump size.

What is the footprint of the section of your sump you can put your skimmer in? I would buy the biggest skimmer that would fit into your sump.
By footprint I mean like 12" by 8" or whatever.

You can see the footprints of ASM skimmer here: www.asmskimmer.com

Coderad
06-26-2006, 11:53 PM
The footprint is 7 1/2" by 7 1/2", but the is a half wall at 4 1/2" I don't know if I have to keep that or not. But in my "footprint" I have my sump intake pump in there too and it is 4" x 4". I was looking at skimmer at wai's that I could set the actual skimmer be side the sump and just plumb the pump and return into the sump.

TheReefGeek
06-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Is the other area for a fuge then?

Sound slike you will have to plumb a skimmer in through bulkheads.

You can't use ASM then, because they can slowly leak, so they are in-sump only.

Euroreef will do this, they are more pricey.

With a refugium and 40g total water you could get away without a skimmer, just keep on top of water changes. I think you will find your 30g will fill up so quickly you will be wanting a 180g in no time, and can buy a nice juicy skimmer then. :)

You could go with a CPR BakPakII, or better yet a AquaC Remora in the meantime, the Remora would sell on the used market no problem once you are ready to upgrade.

Oh and even easier, just hang your skimmer off your 10g sump. You might have to install a baffle to make the first chamber high enough for the skimmer, depends on the model & setup of your sump.

Or maybe you will be happy with 30g......... ah who are we kidding. :) You'll have a fish room in no time!

Coderad
06-27-2006, 03:54 AM
I don't know is you can see from this picture but, it is the filtration part where you put the media and such, and were the return line comes from the sump out to the tank. No Fuge. I am new to the whole sump thing but it is a wet/dry, and there is a lid on the larger side with a tray for foam under it then an egg crate that the media would sit on under that. So from what I can see I have no room for HOB skimmer either.

TheReefGeek
06-27-2006, 02:29 PM
You don't need the wet/dry, you can take out the eggcrate if you want, definately don't use bioballs, you could use the drip plate for a phosphate remover or other mechanical media, it is up to you.

Skimmerking
06-27-2006, 11:33 PM
ASM...... IMO are a crappy skimmer Thier a cheap knock off of a Euro Reef I would go with a euroreef or a Deltec, If you are looking for for a decent skimmer and a name you can count on.....

Coderad
06-27-2006, 11:47 PM
I was planning on putting small pieces of live rock and some carbon in the sump for media. Is this good enough.?

As for the skimmer though where whould you put the return line, back to the sump or out to the tank?

Can I put the intake pump for the skimmer next to the intake pump for the sump or will that reduce flow back to the tank?

TheReefGeek
06-28-2006, 12:00 AM
You can have the two pumps beside each other, the water is just flowing through the skimmer, and back into the sump.

ASM is a cheap knock-off of Euro-reef, emphasis on the cheap! :) Build quality isn't the same, and they use cheaper plastic, but the same pumps, so it skims just as well. (used to be the same pumps, euro-reef might have changed now)

Coderad
06-28-2006, 12:08 AM
I was looking at a skimmer at wai's anyone know the brand name of that one it was only like 110.00 but If It does a half decent job, It should work for now. Or dose anyone know of a place I can look locally for a half decent skimmer for a decent price under 200.00.

Thanks Cody

DanG
06-28-2006, 12:15 AM
$110, maybe a Readsea prizim? I wouldn't consider it a great skimmer.

TheReefGeek
06-28-2006, 12:20 AM
For under 200 is limited selection, check out the Urchin

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/skimmers.php?product_ID=ps-acurchin

Coderad
06-28-2006, 12:41 AM
Red sea prizem is a HOB that is what I currently have, I am not very happy with it. But I don't have room for it any ways I need one I can plum into my sump.

TheReefGeek
06-28-2006, 12:48 AM
I don't know of any good external skimmers for under $200

Coderad
06-28-2006, 12:53 AM
What are some good brand names to look out for, for used ones?