PDA

View Full Version : Filtering with a fuge

MikeP
06-24-2006, 06:13 AM
Hello Calgary reefers, I'm looking for info on how to set up a fuge and if it is the way to go. This is a copy of the post I put in the DIY forum. I thought I would put it here as well.

I'm new at this and of course doing a lot of research. Through posts on this forum and reef central I think I would like to set up a fuge. I have a 30gal tank an aquaclear 300 and 15 pounds of LR (15 more will be bought over the weekend). I could make the AC 300 into a fuge or make a smaller fuge with the AC mini I have around here somewhere and just use carbon in the AC 300? or vice versa? Is this a good way to filter my tank? When I first decided to try salt I thought the filtering would be much the same as fresh with things like foam and bio balls, but it doesn't sound that way at all. I think I have the equiptment to filter this tank right I just need some direction on how to make it work.

Thanks for any help.

albert_dao
06-24-2006, 06:49 AM
A basic fuge can be set up simply by drilling the bottom out of a ten gallon tank, putting in a bulkhead and standpipe, tossing that on top of your already existing display and pumping water into it. From there, put one of those dairy queen-looking energy saver bulbs over it, toss in a handful of Chaetomorpha (a macroalgae) and you're set!

FYI, fuges are some of the best means of nutrient transport in the hobby right now. I'd rank them a bit under well made and maintained protein skimmers.

kwirky
07-15-2006, 06:14 AM
one of those dairy queen-looking energy saver bulbs

do you mean a screw-base mini-compact PC light?

Farrmanchu
07-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Like a Marathon Spiral bulb. Same size as a reg. incandecent bulb, but it's a thin spiralled flor. tube.