PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on bow front tanks

robzilla
06-23-2006, 03:27 PM
hi, i want some opinions on bow front tanks.
i'm looking to get a bigger tank, and a 72g bow front might be coming up for sale and was looking for the good, the bad and the ugly about these tanks.

thanks

TheReefGeek
06-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Lighting that shape as compared to a square is a bit more tricky, but manageable.

Its not recommended to use DIY stands, the warranty is often voided, so this can make it more expensive.

I like the look, but at certain angles and such the magnification is kinda wonky.

Is there Starfire bowfronts? This would be one disadvantage if there is not.

Joe Reefer
06-23-2006, 03:57 PM
I love my 72 bow, some people do complain that they get dizzy when looking real close though.

Canadbis
06-23-2006, 04:00 PM
I love my 72G Bowfront, They are gorgeous. That is what has gotten my wife to start liking the fish.
I dont use mine for salt....well.....not yet. heehee
If you get a good deal on it, TAKE it!!
you wont be dissapointed:wink:

Chin_Lee
06-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Not sure what the recent trend has been with the manufacturing of bow fronts but when they first entered the market, there were numerous reports of them leaking. Do a search on RC for "bowfront and leak"Manufacturers may have changed their process since to make them more reliable because I haven't heard or read of one leaking within the past year and a half. So perhaps it may be your best interest to inquire when the tank, that will be on sale soon, was manufactured.

robzilla
06-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Not sure what the recent trend has been with the manufacturing of bow fronts but when they first entered the market, there were numerous reports of them leaking. Do a search on RC for "bowfront and leak"Manufacturers may have changed their process since to make them more reliable because I haven't heard or read of one leaking within the past year and a half. So perhaps it may be your best interest to inquire when the tank, that will be on sale soon, was manufactured.
sounds like this tank is a few years old, as the owner has upgraded to a 210g tank. he never mentioned anything about leaks but i'll have to ask

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-23-2006, 05:40 PM
I have known or dealt with several local reefers who will no longer get bowfronts because of those leakin issues. From their reports, the leaks start in the front (where the bowing is) & that the leaks were happened in 2 55g, a 72g & the latest one was a 175g bowfront reef in North Van (a bit over a year ago).

My wife really likes the bowfronts, especially the 175g, but we decided not to risk it until it is certain that all these design "flaws" are solved for certain.

Anthony

danny zubot
06-23-2006, 07:25 PM
I loved my 54 corner tank, never had issues with leaking. A bow front is cool because you have added depth for some beach front if you want. The magnifying effect is very cool when trying to view items in that back of the tank.

My goal one day will be to have a 200-300 gallon in-wall bow front. I say go for it!

fortheloveofcrabs
06-23-2006, 07:32 PM
I think it's a matter of taste. My nano is a 16gal bow front. It's kind of a love/hate relationship. I have a pendant so lighting is no issue but viewing and cleaning can be. I'm not sure how it would be on a larger tank but on my 16, magfloats (ect.) are useless. You have to use a blade and go side to side, not up and down. Makes cleaning the glass a bit more cumbersome. It does cause some weird magnification effects. I find I can never really 'see' my tank exactly as is because of this. Over all, I think it's just taste.

reeferaddict
06-23-2006, 07:59 PM
I bought a "leaker" and fixed it... been up for over a year with no problems...

As for viewing... I absolutely love it... the glass seems clearer than either my 90 or 135 and cleaning with a regular magnet or scraper side to side or up and down don't present any problems. (A smaller one I could see with the steeper curve.) Mine sits upon an old but strong desk, and it too is coming up for sale - (check in the Buy/Sell Forum). I would have another one someday - but right now I'm planning one BIG tank...

marie
06-23-2006, 09:35 PM
I bought my 175g bowfront used, no leaks yet (knock on wood). I really like the look, cleaning with a magnet is a bit of a pain I have to go side to side to clean the bow

Canadbis
06-23-2006, 10:05 PM
I got my bowfront used as well. It has been running in my house for almost a year without any problems, easy to clean and nomatter who comes in they all oooo and aahhhh at the bow.
I say get it, and if you dont like it they are real easy to sell

Reefer Rob
06-23-2006, 11:49 PM
No leaks on my 72G bow but, they are a pain to reefscape because they are so skinny at the ends. Would be OK for a FOWLR tank though. I'd never buy another bowfront for a reef.

Rob

Jason McK
06-23-2006, 11:52 PM
I had a Oceanic 72G Bow. 4 Months in it started leaking from the back-bottom seem, the LFS replaced it and 4 months later the exact same thing happened. My LFS replaced it with a 75G flat front.

I think if your getting it used and it hasn't leaked so far you're prob good

J

littlesilvermax
06-24-2006, 12:19 AM
Not good for Aquascsping.

Not good for lighting, or stands, or canopies

Not as easy to clean front glass with magnet or razor blade

A good FO tank that looks cool

A bad reef tank choice.