PDA

View Full Version : Oh my goodness!

TheReefGeek
06-22-2006, 07:27 PM
One of the local Edmonton vendors has a:

Black Tipped Reef Shark $1000

This is disgusting. Maybe someone has $1000 plus enough money to fly it back to Vancouver Island where it belongs? I just can't believe this, ****es me off something fierce.

Why would someone bring in a shark that grows to 15 feet in the wild!!?#@$!@#$!@

Fishfanatic
06-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Which vendor brought in this shark I would like to boycot them.

TheReefGeek
06-22-2006, 07:46 PM
I don't bash vendors, but in this case I will say that the shark is in a basement in the north end.

muck
06-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Black tips grow to approx 6 feet in the wild. Not sure where you were getting 15 feet from.

Even still they aren't very aquarium suitable.

atcguy
06-22-2006, 08:06 PM
vancouver island. I saw them in Grand Cayman and aussi but I dont think they are a pacific northwest shark. King Eds in Richmond has a couple in their tank.

Midknight
06-22-2006, 08:07 PM
I think you mean Big Al's. They have some in the Richmond & PoCo store. King Ed's doesn't have a large display tank.

TheReefGeek
06-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Sorry, got into such a flurry over seeing this! It is the Six Gill Shark that gets to 15 feet around Vancouver Island. :redface:

Ok so 5 feet, still shouldn't be brought in to Edmonton unless it is pre-sold to someone with a suitable aquarium.

G1GY
06-22-2006, 09:34 PM
They brought it in just to make you angry. :(

Beverly
06-22-2006, 09:49 PM
How big is this shark at the moment? Have seen (nurse?) shark eggs in that vendor's tanks years ago when we used to occasionally dropped by his place. Hopefully, someone doesn't impulse buy it without researching first.

And never trust what that particular vendor says, which is that fish only grow to the size of the tank they're in :eek: :rolleyes: :2gunfire:

Funky_Fish14
06-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Dont worry guys, great whites only grow to 1ft long if you keep them in a 75g!

TheReefGeek
06-22-2006, 09:52 PM
I don't know the current size, this information is just from a fish inventory list.

DEAD_BY_DAWN
06-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Umm Black tip reef sharks are from the pacific or indian ocean,not vancouver island,there are people out there who do have large enough home aquariums for them,granted these are few and between though,boycotting this store is pointless all the wholesalers have them for sale.

TheReefGeek
06-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Ummm, I corrected myself, read the whole thread.

And I didn't say boycot the store.

But just because wholesalers have it for sale, doesn't mean that stores should choose to bring it in!!!!

I will definately be biased against a store that chooses to bring in animals such as these, compared to stores that choose not to bring them in, whether they are available or not!

And its not like a wholesaler has a partial box to fill, and chooses to send a reef shark as "filler" for an order.

Hopefully this reef shark was destined for someone as a special order, and they backed out and the vendor is stuck with this animal.

DEAD_BY_DAWN
06-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Boycotting comment was directed at Fishfanatic not you personally,i just dont see the problem with bringing in these type of fish if in fact as you stated it is a special order or that store has a customer base with a larger tanks,which chould lead to a sale,there are many more freshwater fish sold by the thausands everyday in just about every store around the world that grow to sizes that dwarf many a home aquarium and sell for under $100.00,which i feel is a real shame,i figure if a person is willing to drop a grand on a shark there is a high probabilty that they might be informed,one would hope .