PDA

View Full Version : Observations since using Aqualight Pro.

OCDP
06-22-2006, 07:02 PM
(warning: this thread has no real purpose.. just stating observations.. it's not whining, complaining.. just observations, feel free to add in your comments too if you have one of these fixtures)

As nice as these fixtures are. I am starting to re-think my lighting plans. And I am starting to realize that these fixtures aren't all that great. I'd say right now, the only reason I like the unit so much is because it's fairly sleek, and comes with the HQI, actinic, and moon lights. (all in one factor)

But.. I have definitely noticed a lot more cons and than pros lately.

I don't know about other Aqualight Pro users. But, I have noticed that because all the lights are fairly close to my water surface, and my tank is pretty shallow (only a standard 20g tank) My water clarity SUCKS! It must be because there's so much light, and it makes the water look cloudy and merky. Totally sucks. I know for fact it's the light because the clarity in water changes as I move around the tank and tank sides. I find this a huge drawback.... who likes looking into cloudy (but its not really cloudy) water?

Another big, big disadvantage (IMO) [and this can be fixed, I know] is I don't have the beauty of viewing my tank top-down. I can't hang the fixture though! I think top-down views and pictures are some of the most beautiful and true looking views. It's like being in the ocean looking over top all the corals, and they seem to pop more, because your not viewing them through the glass. I also cannot take top down shots either.

And the biggest of all disadvantages.... I can't work in my tank now, at all.... When I had my 150w HQI hanging over my tank before, tank maintenance was simple... no problems. Now, I dread it because it's such a chore, getting my arm under the fixture... burning my fingers and hands on the UV glass. This gives all the "goodies" (probably a bad choice of word) get to spread and re-populate.

All in all, it doesn't seem like I'm too , too happy with it.. and I won't lie, I am not completely satisfied. It does the trick though,

Some advantages I have noticed since using the fixture... My corals (all of them) have more vibrant colouration from adding the 2x65w actinics. My coral growth seems to have doubled since having more light and having the lights closer to the water surface. Not bad! I am happy with my zoanthid growth that's for sure.. I didn't have growth like this with the single 150w HQI.

I'll add more to it as they come to my mind... and anyone who uses the fixture post comments and what you think of fixtures that sit on top of the tank. As I said, there is no real purpose for the thread.... but maybe it will assist others who are thinking of purchasing one. All's I can say is... it does the trick, and that's about it !

Kabong
06-22-2006, 08:33 PM
You should get the legs
http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/pc/coralife/legs-adjust.jpg
It raises the lights up and makes working in the tank easier.
If you get the hinged ones you can swing the lights right out of the way if you need to.

TheReefGeek
06-22-2006, 08:43 PM
The legs would definately make it easier to work on, still a bit of a pain in the butt but better than nothing.

Hinged sounds like a great idea! If I had that type of fixture I would buy hinged if available for sure.

G1GY
06-22-2006, 09:27 PM
I use the 2X 250 watt aqualight pro and love it. :) (Hanging from cable in the ceiling though.)

TheReefGeek
06-22-2006, 09:41 PM
How did you secure yours to the ceiling?

I use the hangers that look like they are for plants, they have a butterfly in the that you close up, stick through the hole, then it expands, and it supports a screw.

I would like a better method in the future though.

G1GY
06-22-2006, 09:49 PM
How did you secure yours to the ceiling?

I use the hangers that look like they are for plants, they have a butterfly in the that you close up, stick through the hole, then it expands, and it supports a screw.

I would like a better method in the future though.

Same deal here with mine.

I used this hanger kit.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/l-mh-esu.php?product_ID=mh-calphng

On a side note, I see that the aqualight pro 2X250 watt now has 3 moonlights in the fixture. Mine has 4. Go figure.

OCDP
06-22-2006, 11:43 PM
I don't think those legs would work on my tank. It's 24" but it doesn't seem to fit properly on top of the tank without inverting the two back legs. Hard to explain.. but it doesn't look like those legs would work.. :neutral:

MobyDick
06-23-2006, 01:31 AM
I agrre With everything you say Scott,I have had this light and all the same experiences as you!BUT the cloudy water..I didn't get cloudy water "look".The other thing that made me go with the pfo(comlete set-up) for my next light after the aquapro is that it can be up-graded and mix matched to my preferance.

Matt
06-23-2006, 02:17 AM
You should get the legs
http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/pc/coralife/legs-adjust.jpg
It raises the lights up and makes working in the tank easier.
If you get the hinged ones you can swing the lights right out of the way if you need to.Those don't work on the Aqualight Pro...

OCDP
06-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Yeah, the cloudy water thing is just because my tank is so shallow. The light builds up and has no where else to travel , so I think it's "too much" light, giving off the cloudy effect.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-23-2006, 05:45 PM
I have the 6' version & I love it. (Again thank you Griffen) I do find that on my dual 65gallons it is a bit tight to work in the tank, but if it really becomes a problem, I'll go get the hanging kit. My main complaint is the crappy bulbs (150w DE Coralife) that comes with it originally. They go very yellow, very quickly. I now have 10000k Reeflux bulbs from OA & love them. Nice crisp white light with a touch of blue & the corals' colours stand out well.

Anthony

albert_dao
06-26-2006, 05:37 AM
I've never heard of MH lights causing cloudy water.

FYI, I use the six foot version and have retarded water clarity, my lights are only 4" from the surface of the water.

OCDP
06-26-2006, 05:42 AM
No.. it's hard for me to explain I guess. Because my tank is so shallow , and I have all that light, I find I get funky water. I don't think it's the water itself, it's just that there's too much light and viewing it through the glass creates a cloudy water effect. I still don't know if that makes much sense.. Oh well.

reeferaddict
06-26-2006, 07:39 PM
I've had the 4 foot version for over a year now, and aside from the crappy Coralife bulbs have had no complaints - this is an excellent solution for an all in one product.

The hinged mounting legs won't work on these fixtures though they're quite slick, I have a set for my refugium Aqualight. The Pro's are too heavy for those legs.

The hanging mount and new bulbs sound like the answer to your problems. I quickly got frustrated working in the tank with the stock legs and got the hanging kit... NICE... I'm selling mine because I tore down the tank they were over to focus on my 135... but in the year it was set up did it ever grow stuff! (A lot of hair algae at the end, but I attribute that to the lousy bulbs and bunged up rock.) :mrgreen: