PDA

View Full Version : I think my anemone is sick

Angel
06-22-2006, 04:37 AM
I came home the other day and one of my anemones looked like it was turning itself inside out and all its tenticles were deflated. He never really settled anywhere in my tank. I think he might dye! is there anything that I should do to try to help him? I don't understand what is going on, the other one is just fine. :cry:

G1GY
06-22-2006, 04:49 AM
I've seen one of mine do that every now and again and the next day or two...... It just perks up again. I hope this is the case for yours also. :)

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Midknight
06-22-2006, 04:52 AM
Would do the Welcome pic but not sure how. :lol:

But Welcome aboard. And from what I have read the are very light hungry guys.
So... what kind of lights do you have? how old are they? Did you change anything in the tank that would effect the current?
Maybe your answers will help other help you. :wink:

Dan

Angel
06-22-2006, 04:59 AM
For the last week or so it has been having what looks to be the inside of its stomach coming out of his mouth a little bit. its not the usual deflating and spitting up of dark brown goo that it usually does, it is a white layer of tissue. Today it started to look really bad. Im not sure what to do. I did just add a bubble wall at the back of the tank, and the light seems to be fine for tha other one that is in there and thriving. I just got it about three weeks ago

i have crabs
06-22-2006, 02:25 PM
what size of tank is it in dark brown goo could be nitrate poisoning but they will deflate and reinflate with new water once in a while but should be back to normal within a few hours

TheReefGeek
06-22-2006, 05:47 PM
What lighting are you running? What kind of anemone is sick? What kind of anemone is doing fine? Have you tested your water (Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)

If they are different anemones they could very well have different lighting needs. We need to know the species and what lights you are running.

vaporize
06-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah, what kind of anemone exactly?

How old is your tank?

Angel
06-22-2006, 10:58 PM
the one that is sick is a long tentacle anemone, the one that is well is a purple tip. the tank is a 35gal and is about a year old and has the origional lighting that came with it. He looks worse than he did this morning and I think it is too late.... which sucks!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Original lighting, as in fluorescent light strip? If so, then you should definitely not have any corals or anemones under that lighting setup. However, if it is MH lights, after one year, it's probably time to buy a new bulb. I've kept corals & anemones in a 33g under 96w PC & 2 T5s before, but you need to be clearer about what exactly is your "original lighting."

Anthony

TheReefGeek
06-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Yeah a long tenticle anemone needs stong lighting for survival. Most tanks dont come with adequate lighting, you need specialized lighting

Trouble with anemones is, they look perfectly healthy, then they just die off, not much of a "slowly dieing" phase.

Angel
06-29-2006, 04:07 AM
:cry: thanks everyone! Unfortunatly the little guy didn't make it. I miss having it in the tank. He was really cool

TheReefGeek
06-29-2006, 05:45 PM
You never did say what your lighting is.

Unfortunately for anemonies so many people buy them without having the lighting to keep them alive, a long tentacle anemone required metal halide lighting.

Your other anemone may very well suffer the same fate if you don't upgrade your lighting.

OCDP
06-29-2006, 11:46 PM
If that's a FTS in your avatar, then I can see your super bleached anemone. This is due to starvation and not having the proper lighting. It's very sad to see so many anemones die because people do not research the care requirements. In the end, it's another animal lost, and a chunk of change down the toilet. I strongly recommend you first research anemones and upgrade to their requirements. Otherwise, you just won't be able to keep one alive and thriving. Sorry for the loss..

Angel
06-30-2006, 01:13 PM
The anemone that you can see in that pic is my purple tip, and he is doing very well. He has not moved sense I put him in the tank, he spends most of the day big and full and actively grabs anything that he can get his tentacles on that isn't swimming. He is showing no signs of distress, and doing very well. However I am going to upgrade the lighting as a precaution asap.

TheReefGeek
06-30-2006, 02:46 PM
They don't show signs of stress until right before the die, then it is too late, like your last one.

If it is a bubble tip, it doesn't need the same amount of lighting as the long tentacle, so it will take longer to slowly die.

OCDP
06-30-2006, 02:59 PM
I dunno, that anemone looks super bleached. (A white anemone with translucent (sp?) tentacles is a stressed, bleached anemone) Even from the photo it only looks like your running flourescent bulbs... which is no where near enough light to keep an anemone alive! Even PC's are not that great for anemones. JMO. Good luck with everything.