PDA

View Full Version : In Calgary now, get together?

Canadian Man
07-14-2002, 03:21 AM
If you get a chance to read this than thanks very much for the visit Dez. Was a pleasure meeting you and we will be talking more soon!

Dez
07-14-2002, 04:32 AM
Hey, I'm in Calgary this weekend. Wasn't expecting to be. Can I see some tanks? My number is 238-1185. You can ask for Desmond. Looking forward to hearing from you. In the south end, right by Kim's place.

Des

Dez
07-14-2002, 07:58 PM
Thank you for having me over Jonathan. Looking forward to having you over in a few weeks. Caley said that the second weekend in August should be okay for you guys to come over. You've got a really nice set-up.

Des

Delphinus
07-15-2002, 01:32 AM
It turns out Dez's Mom is one of my orchid buddies. Small world.

Have a safe trip back home, Dez, and say hi to your folks from me & Linda!

cheers

Canadian Man
07-15-2002, 01:47 AM
Tony, did Dez get a chance to come and see your setup's?

Delphinus
07-15-2002, 12:28 PM
Yeah, he caught me late last night after I came home from a brief rafting excursion this weekend.

(BTW, not much feels better the 8C water of the Kicking Horse when it's >30C outside! Highly recommended...)

Two things I have learned this weekend though.

1. The most incredible heat waves happen when you take off for a little while, just to cook your tanks. On the plus side, by the looks of things, my 75g never exceeded 29C/84F. Still a little hot for my liking, but it's right at the maximum of the "tolerable range" for most things. My 50g hit 86. That is above my "freak out" limit for some things but luckily I know the things in that tank will be able to take it, and plus, last year after our little heat wave I changed things around to try to prevent future overheating (since at that time I had temps >90F in the tank) and it's nice to know that the changes have had an effect.

2. Turning on the lights after normal lights out, really, really freaks my yellow tang out. Noticed after Dez left, my tang was right freaked out: pacing, bashing himself into the glass, and gasping. Took several hours after I turned the lights back off for him to settle back down. So new rule from now on, no tank visitors after 9. Man, I feel so bad for him that I turned his world upside-down like that. I am a bad dad to my tanks. :(

Tau2301
07-15-2002, 12:38 PM
Yes, it was good to meet Dez and show him my tank.

It sounds like he has a very good setup and I would like to see it some day. Maybe Alan could add some pictures of his sump & grow out tank to Dez's Web page.

web page (http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/dez/)

Canadian Man
07-15-2002, 12:57 PM
I am going to Edmonton in August, If there is no pics of Dez's set up yet i will take some to show you guy's.

Bob I
07-16-2002, 04:47 AM
Tony, I found out a long time ago that Yellow Tangs dictate when lights out will occur. That time is around when they think sunset is. If you think Tangs give that type of trouble, you should try Moorish Idols.
BTW that heat problem is why I no longer have tanks upstairs. I get sick and tired of worrying about a couple of days of heat outside. I have been wanting to move that FW tank upstairs, but even though I don't much care for the fish, I still will wait for cooler weather.

[ 15 July 2002, 12:50: Message edited by: Bob Ipema ]

Dez
07-17-2002, 03:05 PM
Thank you so much everyone for letting me see your tanks. I quite enjoyed the short visits. Sorry Tony about your yellow tang. I hope you will accept my deepest apologies. My parents were tickled pink to find out that you knew them...he he. Jonathan, looking forward to having you over, and you might have to bring pictures back to Calgary, I don't have my own internet anymore so pictures are a little bit more difficult to send. Thanks again.

Des

AJ_77
07-17-2002, 05:38 PM
Makes me think of the first time my new Zebrasoma scopas saw a big bubble release from the sandbed. It was at feeding time amd he was already a little hyper - pulled about 4 G's on evasive maneuvers just then... Cute.

;)

Delphinus
07-18-2002, 04:38 AM
Not your fault, Dez, I didn't know he was quite that sensitive. Now I do though, and the mental note has thus been made... it is all a learning process.

Dez
07-18-2002, 02:19 PM
I will be visiting this Friday night in Calgary, and the weekend after also if other people would like to have me over. Tony, I wouldn't mind getting some of that xenia and purple acro off of you, if you don't want to trade, I can purchase. Thanks again.

des

Delphinus
07-18-2002, 03:15 PM
Always interested in trading for more SPS! :D

AJ_77
07-18-2002, 06:03 PM
I'd be happy to have you over Des, if you're so inclined to make the trek northward. Bob's nearby but will be away, and EmilyB is tucked away in an impenetrable mountain vale, much like Rivendell. :D

But if you're lucky enough to find it... Ooooohhh... I still remember it like it was yesterday...

And you can see my Living Green. ;)

Canadian Man
07-18-2002, 07:16 PM
Dez, I am up for another vistit also, well my main reason is you offered some calurpa to me next time i see you and i would like to take you up on that.

My calurpa in my refugium seems to have gotten brittle and broken in a few places so i took it all out.

If you are going to be at tony's i could just meet you there or if you want pop by here since it is close.

As far as a day goes this friday(tommorow)dosent work as i am going to see CAT'S in the evening and work all day.

The next weekend after is good as i get saturday off which NEVER happens.

Anyway i'm sure you will let me know if any of this works for ya.

cheers

Bob I
07-18-2002, 07:26 PM
No matter what Alan says, a visit to Deb's would be well worth while. I realise she says she is antisocial, but if you could wangle an invite, the tanks are a joy to behold, and the dogs are definitely NOT antisocial. :D

EmilyB
07-18-2002, 08:02 PM
Certainly if you plan to be up in the north as Alan says, pop by. Friday evening early (sevenish) or a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Email me if you decide to arrange something.

MitchM
07-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Party at Deb's! :D :D

Mitch ;)

EmilyB
07-18-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Carpentersreef:
Party at Deb's! :D :D

Mitch ;) <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/adu8.gif

MitchM
07-18-2002, 08:44 PM
LOL...you social butterfly, you!

Mitch

AJ_77
07-19-2002, 01:13 AM
Cool! What time Saturday? What kind of beer do you like?

:D

EmilyB
07-19-2002, 01:19 AM
I guess pretty much whenever you guys say...
:rolleyes: give me a couple hours notice..........any beer will do. Frags at the door for admission. Pockets checked on the way out. :D ;) tongue.gif

[ 18 July 2002, 21:21: Message edited by: EmilyB ]

Dez
07-23-2002, 02:17 PM
Jonathan,

I'll be coming into town this Thursday probably about noonish..... Can you pick up Caulerpa then? Call me cause I don't have much net access. I'm at the public library now. You know my number...still looking forward to having you over in August. maybe you could get it then if you can wait, then I'll have more to give and I won't trim.

Des

Canadian Man
07-23-2002, 02:41 PM
Dez,
Yea I can wait till Aug for sure.
My only other day off this week is saturday, july 27.

Delphinus
07-27-2002, 04:17 AM
Hi Dez, regretfully, we will not be able to hook up this time (I'm outta here in a few hours!)

Would still like to see this trade go through though; it'll just have to be the next time I guess. Sorry 'bout 'dat...

[ 27 July 2002, 00:18: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Dez
07-27-2002, 04:37 AM
Hey guys, I'm in town again. This time with pictures on a disk redface.gif ). I won't have internet access, I'm at my brother's place now and his computer is super super slow. Call me 238-1185. I will be here til Tuesday. Saturday I'm busy, I'll be officiating my brother's wedding.

Tony, I wouln't mind getting some of your weeds (xenia) as well as a couple of cuttings of the purple acro. I can probably get you a cutting of different types of acro in return. Will Tues at lunch time do for you? That's about when we'll be leaving. Unless I get it from you before and store it at Kim's place (If he'll let me) cause my in-laws live a couple of blocks from Kim. That's where I'm staying. But Kim might not be home Tues lunch...anyway, I'm rambling.

Call me if you want to get together, all day Monday I should be good. And Sunday afternoon/evening. Call me soon so we can set a time.

Talk to you guys soon..

Des