PDA

View Full Version : Tank stand possibility

SerLunchbox
06-19-2006, 05:39 AM
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15597&catalogId=10103&storeId=3&productId=42091&langId=-15&categoryId=16316&chosenPartNumber=70034191

That there is what my wife would like to use as a stand. Now i am no carpenter, but i seriously have my doubts that that could/would hold a 50 gallon tank with about 60 - 80 lbs of LR plus the corals and fish and equipment.

Does anyone disagree? Please explain why you think it would. Thanks

Midknight
06-19-2006, 05:44 AM
Not enought support in the middle. If you added extra bracing it should be Ok. Now with that much weight you might not be able to use the draws either.

TheReefGeek
06-19-2006, 02:51 PM
You're 50g is going to weight about 500lbs, so get a couple big guys to sit on it. :)

muck
06-19-2006, 02:59 PM
You're 50g is going to weight about 500lbs, so get a couple big guys to sit on it. :)

Make sure you test it at Ikea.. if it breaks hi-tail it the heck outta there.. :wink: :razz:

TheReefGeek
06-19-2006, 03:12 PM
Yeah, they won't be able to catch you in the maze. :mrgreen:

SerLunchbox
06-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Heheh ... i am a "cuddley" person so you never know

TheReefGeek
06-19-2006, 03:28 PM
One potential problem I see with using that as a stand, is the pieces on the top that come partially up the sides.

You probably want the tank to be sitting directly over the 2 end boards, which you could't with those pieces in the way.

Also as stated the middle isn't going to be supported very well at all, and im not sure how you would add supports while keeping the drawers functional.

SerLunchbox
06-19-2006, 04:42 PM
I was actually thinking about the center support ... there isn't any. It can handle a total of about 150 lbs according to Ikea. ah well ... the search goes on.

Midknight
06-19-2006, 04:50 PM
I am building a stand out of an old entertainment unit. You know the oens were the TV sat on one side and shelves beside that for the VCR and such.
I am putting the main tank, 55g, on top and a 33g underneither for a refugium/sump. Will post some picks of the plans tonight.
Oh, and the stand cost me $30 on craigs list. :lol:

danny zubot
06-19-2006, 08:27 PM
You'd might be surprised that some of the furniture from Ikea is quite strong. I used one of those corner computer desks with no added support in the middle, as a stand for my 54 gallon corner tank for a couple years. In fact I think that tank and stand are still in circulation. Dressers are very stable because of the numerous verticle and lateral supports for the drawers etc. You could also reinforce it if you can't sleep at night.

G1GY
06-19-2006, 08:51 PM
I am building a stand out of an old entertainment unit. You know the oens were the TV sat on one side and shelves beside that for the VCR and such.
I am putting the main tank, 55g, on top and a 33g underneither for a refugium/sump. Will post some picks of the plans tonight.
Oh, and the stand cost me $30 on craigs list. :lol:

My ghetto 33 gallon tank stand! :mrgreen: (Just laying in the corner of the garage now.)

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1376Welfare_tank_stand.jpg

It's an old floor model TV that I gutted all the electronics out of and chopped the legs off of. Then I just added a shelf and painted it with that speckle stone paint.

When it's all set up and clean, you can't even tell it's a 1970's TV.

Pretty lame......I know. :rolleyes:

danny zubot
06-19-2006, 08:58 PM
I wish I had a pic of the old "Hitachi Spectra 2000" tank I had a few years ago. We just ripped the guts of the TV out a replaced it with a 20 gallon tank, it was hillarious.

Canadbis
06-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Blaine, there are many DIY stands out there that look really nice, and that your misses would like....OR...
What you could do is build a 2x4 stand that is small enough to fit into that dresser, GUT the dresser and use the front of the drawers just for looks and rebuild the dresser around the stand. Make sure the top of the dresser is mounted onto the 2x4 frame you built and presto, A really nice stand the makes the wife happy (mainly because of looks) and you can sleep knowing you wont get a rude awakening

HTH

SerLunchbox
06-21-2006, 06:41 AM
Got a message back from Ikea regarding anything they carry to support the aquarium. Basically they go, we have nothing at all that can support that kind of weight but they are working on it.

I guess we will stay with what we have for now ... just have to find a good spot for the ballast since it doesn't fit in the cabinet that is part of the stand. This will be interesting as it may end up beside the tank if i can't find a better spot for it.

Midknight
06-21-2006, 01:02 PM
This is the stand I am talking about.... :biggrin:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/Midknight3d/Tank%20build%203/4g.jpg

55 on top with a 33 underneth as sump