PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon

Molino
06-19-2006, 05:22 AM
I just started this tank back in March. So far I've got a variety of Zoos, some Green Polyps, a Xenia Frag, Mushrooms, a Ricordea frag as well as 2 Clownfish, 2 PJ Cardinalfish, 1 Striped Damselfish, 1 Cleaner shrimp and 1 Coral Banded Shrimp.

Full lights:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/molino/Misc/200606/IMG_3800-700w.jpg

Just the Actinics:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/molino/Misc/200606/IMG_3805-700w.jpg

and back in March:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/molino/Misc/200606/IMG_3142-SW-20060312-700w.jpg

muck
06-19-2006, 06:42 AM
Its coming along nicely Molino. :cool:

TheReefGeek
06-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Looking great.

Make sure to clean your powerheads, and hard to tell by the picture but you might benefit from a sand sifting goby to keep your sand a nice white.

danny zubot
06-19-2006, 10:36 PM
I like the rockwork. Is that a bit of cyano I see?

Molino
06-19-2006, 11:23 PM
and hard to tell by the picture but you might benefit from a sand sifting goby to keep your sand a nice white.
I plan to get a Goby for just that reason very soon.

Is that a bit of cyano I see?
I'd never heard of Cyano before now so looked it up on Google. It appears to be the same colour, but it refers to Cyano algea as slimy. The redish/purple spots you see on the substrate of my tank are almost hair like or fuzzy and grow in clumps which can be removed very easily. I'm not sure what they are?

vertex
06-20-2006, 02:50 AM
Nice Molino,

I like the time lapse since you haven't moved any rocks, its easy to compare. I assume your coral banded and cleaners get alone together? I've avoided adding any other shrimp (would like some peppermint) but read the coral banded may not let that happen. I guess in a big tank, might be OK.

TheReefGeek
06-20-2006, 03:08 AM
My massive CBS has tolerated peppermints, and cleaners, and pistol shrimp.

vertex
06-20-2006, 03:13 AM
Thanks Rory, a few good stories about them is enough to try it myself then.

TheReefGeek
06-20-2006, 03:18 AM
Does your CBS go after fish? Mine would try to snatch at fish when I first got him and didn't do any other shrimp with him until he "calmed" down a bit, and he just keeps to himself, hanging upside down in the middle of the tank rockwork.

If you watch your CBS that might give a clue, I would try a couple peppermints first, they are cheap in case your CBS is aggresive.

Molino
06-20-2006, 03:45 AM
I assume your coral banded and cleaners get alone together?
I wouldn't say they get along, but the Cleaner Shrimp knows to keep it's distance from the CBS and to be wary. The cleaner is also substantially faster than the CBS so seems to do fine. All of the hiding spots help a lot too.

I'd be a bit more concerned if the CBS was already in the tank the the Cleaner was being introduced second, but in my case the CBS was introduced second.

I have also seen him take a swipe at one of my Clownfish once, but the Clownfish was swimming immediately in front of him so probably deserved it :lol:

Ruth
06-20-2006, 04:14 AM
I have 2 CBS in my 230 that have taken out every cleaner I have tried to put in there. There is one peppermint left that seems to know to stay out of their way but I know that if they get a chance the peppermint is dead. Mine are very big - I have had them for close to 2 years which I have heard is just about their lifespan.