PDA

View Full Version : need help

possitive k
06-18-2006, 07:55 PM
i have a 90gal setup been running for over a year now with no major problems.i just recently got a bunch of live rock from a friend(about 100lbs) and added it to my tank, i allready had about 100 lbs in there. now my nitrate whent through the roof and the ammoina whent up too, not as much though. i did a water change of about 30% the other day and checked paramiters agian today with no change. what should i do, just keep doin water changes an hope for the best.

ammonia-0.25ppm
nitrate-80ppm
nitrite-0ppm
temp-81
salinity-.026

Thanks Kristian.

Kabong
06-18-2006, 08:00 PM
The new rock has thrown off the balance of your tank.
It's started a mini cycle, I'd say your best off on judt doind water changes until it comes back down.

possitive k
06-19-2006, 05:23 AM
is there anything to speed this proces up?

Kabong
06-19-2006, 07:03 AM
The water changes are about all you can do.

TheReefGeek
06-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Do water changes with RO or RODI water, you are definately getting die off from the new rock, you should always cure rock before adding to an existing system, or add dry rock that won't spike your tank.

If anyone can hold your livestock for you, (ask here, and your LFS) that would be a good idea, because ammonia and nitrates that high are going to kill your stuff off.

danny zubot
06-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Water changes are best, but if you are really worried there are amonia sponges you can get that will absorb some of it.

possitive k
06-20-2006, 02:45 AM
how often (water changes ) is too much?

TheReefGeek
06-20-2006, 03:07 AM
Take your livestock out of that tank and into a quarantine/temporary tank with new clean water, and let your tank cycle properly.

vertex
06-20-2006, 03:11 AM
Depending on your livestock, you might also consider pulling some of that new rock out to some rubbermaids and cycle it on its own. You can slowly add it back to your main tank without a cycle if you add it slowly.

With the new rock out and more water changes, the ammonia should settle. Then you can sort out things separately with no risk to your livestock.

Rondelet
06-21-2006, 05:09 AM
Along with the water changes, you could also trying putting some synthetic absorbent, such as Seachem's Purigen, in your sump or a canister filter (of some sort) attached to your tank.