PDA

View Full Version : 390 gallon installation

untamed
06-14-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm looking for Vancouverites who might have experience/tools that would be helpful for moving a 500lb acrylic tank into my home. The tank will arrive Sunday, Aug 27 at 4PM.

In case you are wondering...that's 6'L x 4'W x 26"H x 1".

Brad.

muck
06-14-2006, 09:27 PM
BooYah!! That sounds awesome!!!

TheReefGeek
06-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Where in the home is the tank going?

Are there any steps? Turns?

Obviously it is going to have to go on its side to go through doorways, and turning ability is going to be limited. De-glazing large front windows also provides access to your home if they are large enough.

You will probably want to use flat furniture movers, the ones that are basically a square board with 4 wheels covered in carpet. This way you can wheel it around instead of carrying.

You might want to look into glass suction cups if you need to grip the tank and a corner/edge is not useable. They basically suction to the glass, and have a handle for you to hold. Make sure they are meant for that kind of weight though, a window company might be willing lend you a pair for a night, or a weekend.

Other than that have lots of people, and ropes, straps, beer, etc.

Post some more details and we can help more.

TheReefGeek
06-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Hmmmm, glass suction cups on acrylic, don't know if that works or not???

Other things to think about would be leveling the stand before putting the tank on it, and adding a layer of insulation foam between the stand and tank.

untamed
06-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Good thoughts...all.

Yes, the tank will be moving on it's side. There's no turns. There's a choice of using a straight, exterior stairway...or a hill with bad (gravel) footing. It's possible that the tank could actually toboggan down the gravel with straps holding it back...

If we take the gravel hill, there isn't even any doors to go through!

The stand is mostly done, but I've not put any foam on it. Why do you think that foam is needed? I mean...it's flat. Putting foam on it isn't going to make it any more flat.

I'm thinking that a few of those suction cups would be helpful. To use them, I would need to strip off the protective covering on the spots where we would want to suck. I think they would work equally well on acrylic, but I'll check that out.

Chin_Lee
06-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Good thoughts...all.

Yes, the tank will be moving on it's side. There's no turns. There's a choice of using a straight, exterior stairway...or a hill with bad (gravel) footing. It's possible that the tank could actually toboggan down the gravel with straps holding it back...

If we take the gravel hill, there isn't even any doors to go through!

The stand is mostly done, but I've not put any foam on it. Why do you think that foam is needed? I mean...it's flat. Putting foam on it isn't going to make it any more flat.

I'm thinking that a few of those suction cups would be helpful. To use them, I would need to strip off the protective covering on the spots where we would want to suck. I think they would work equally well on acrylic, but I'll check that out.
Foam will eliminate any uneveness of your stand and reducing stress points as a result of the uneveness.post more info as time approaches. I will help out in anyway I can.

TheReefGeek
06-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Hmmmm, do they have "off road" furniture dollies? :mrgreen:

The foam is to spread out the weight evenly and irregularities have less of a chance of causing your tank to crack. What is your stand made of? Could it warp 5 years down the road? It doesn't cost much, it is usually in pink or blue sheets at the hardware store, for the price I would use it for peace of mind.

untamed
06-14-2006, 10:48 PM
The stand is wood...2x4s, 2x6s and 3/4" plywood...nothing too fancy. I suppose there is a chance that it could warp over time....but under 4000lbs of weight, I think any warpage forces couldn't overcome the force straight down.

I suppose it isn't a big deal...it's just 1/2" of additional height that wasn't in the plan. I'll look at it.

Does the foam compress at all under the weight of a tank?

TheReefGeek
06-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Yes it does, how much depends on whether your tank supports everywhere, or just on the edges.

untamed
06-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Yes it does, how much depends on whether your tank supports everywhere, or just on the edges.

By my math, 4000 lbs over 24 sqft = 167lbs/sqft. I just tested a piece of that foam and I don't get any compression when I put all my 140lbs onto an area of only 6" square. My guess is that it isn't going to compress at all.

GMGQ
06-15-2006, 12:31 AM
I concur with what Chin said. It also prevents tiny pebbles or specs of anything hard from putting stress on a single point of the bottom of your tank.

Imagine the weight of your tank , and a tiny piece of gravel under it somewhere :S

Better safe than sorry with like a 1/2" sheet of foam buffering it.

Foam will eliminate any uneveness of your stand and reducing stress points as a result of the uneveness.post more info as time approaches. I will help out in anyway I can.

Pansy-Paws
06-16-2006, 06:17 AM
I moved a 440 lb acrylic tank in two stages.

First, it came into the house using 6 people, and no suction cups. It was dicey :redface: keeping a good grip on the bottom, but was manageable.

The tank then sat for a month on our pool table until the stand was ready. The final move came with 4 people each using a suction cup. The tank felt about half the weight of the initial move, and was a breeze to lift onto the stand (at 45.5" tall). :smile:

Yes, you'll have to remove the paper coating on the acrylic to get a solid grip. I borrowed some suction cups from a professional firm, so they had ample capacity for the required lift (pump-action suction, not a lever setting). When I practized with a suction cup to check it out, I found that my strength gave out while lifting at an end of the tank before there was any sign that the suction cup was even thinking about slipping.

Definately required for the safety of all concerned ...

Good luck with that monster tank :biggrin:

Midknight
06-16-2006, 06:27 AM
Hey Untamed, if you just so extra brawn I think I have a little left.
Give me a call and I can give you a hand.

midgetwaiter
06-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Those cups are usually rated at about 250lbs each but can handle a bit more, I've stuck one to a wall and done chinups.

Funny thing though, if you stick one to the side of a huge display case and then have a 280 lb guy lean back and try to drag it a couple feet it may fail. Luckily the wall a couple of feet behind me was not significantly damaged. I don't really recall the event but apparently it was spectacular.

Just what I needed, another story with "when I regained consciousness" in the middle of it.

untamed
06-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Sounds like the suction cups will make this job a lot easier and safer.

Pansy-Paws...check your PM's.

LostMind
06-18-2006, 06:09 AM
PM me if you need a hand moving it in, I live just in port moody :)

safety4fire
06-18-2006, 03:50 PM
I moved my 230g glass tank, I was told it was about 400 lbs, I borrowed 4 suction cups, basically it took my brother in-law and my self to carry it into my house and down 5 stairs, I had one other guy open the doors and guide us. They work great.

untamed
06-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the helping offers. I'll be looking for help. Delivery timing is now week of Aug 20.

Brad.

Puff
07-04-2006, 09:47 PM
ive got a furniture dolly (which i liberated from some thieving movers that stole my digital camera) that you can use if you need it.

pretty basic, but i use it to move lots of stuff.lol

and if needed, i can add some extra weight to get the tank into the house, but i live on the north shore.lol

possitive k
07-16-2006, 12:50 PM
give me a pm or whatever, and i'll be there will bells

thanks kristian

untamed
08-14-2006, 06:42 PM
OK...it is time to mark your calendar and volunteer for some heavy lifting. Tank deliver is 4PM, Sunday Aug 27. If you are keen, and live close enough to Westwood Plateau, PM me.

Bonus points if you have a line on suction cups!

Brad

untamed
08-28-2006, 03:48 PM
BIG thanks to Midknight who lent his effort to the tank delivery. I think it went as smoothly as it possibly could have. Now...the work begins.

LostMind
08-29-2006, 06:51 AM
Ahh dude, I live at the bottom of the hill... I would have totally ran up to give a hand.

I just bought a house in heritage woods too... Can't wait to move in and plan out the fishtank!

untamed
08-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Too bad...we could have used some extra help. As is, it got in. Neither the tank, nor any person, was injured in the process....so that's about as good as could be hoped.

This installation began the planning stages in October, 2005 as the house was being built. (No, I wasn't able to make much mod to the construction to accommodate the plan). Tank room construction began in late May, 2006.

Basically...it's 75% done structurally; 90% done electrically; 0% done on plumbing...and 0% done on lighting. LOOONG way to go...

Midknight
08-29-2006, 07:05 PM
The tank looks great and the room he had built looks good also.
Has lots of "boxes of bits" just waiting to be assembled. :wink:
Can't wait to see it all together.
If we ask nice maybe we can see some pics from the move.
And thanks for the ones you sent me, they look great.