PDA

View Full Version : Pulley system for lighitng

TheReefGeek
06-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Anybody setup a pulley system for their lights, so they can lift them up to work on the tank?

I am looking for some design ideas, and places to buy parts.

My lighting hood currently hangs from the ceiling already.

TheReefGeek
06-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Found some bike hoists on e-bay for cheap, probably going to order one for my tank, and a couple for my bikes!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Bike-Hoist-Garage-Ceiling-Mount-Hoists-Bicycle-Lift_W0QQitemZ7245801797QQcategoryZ56198QQcmdZView Item#ebayphotohosting

Would have to modify the "claws" that hold the bike, but that should be easy enough.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-14-2006, 10:01 PM
See if you can get them to ship USPS or else UPS might ding you with a big fee.

TheReefGeek
06-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Yeah I already sent them a message asking if they will do USPS.

There is another seller who will do USPS for sure, but they are a bit more pricey.

Delphinus
06-14-2006, 11:58 PM
The bike rack idea is pretty neat. I'm sure I've seen that at local bike/rack/storage-solution shops though, not sure if you really need to ebay it but if you're happy doing it that way then go for it.

I've rigged several pulley systems for various things, including a halide fixture once. It's not too bad. I find if you're dealing with a long item then it's better to use two ropes, one for each end, that merge into a single rope on the pull end, that way it goes up and down staying level. Heavier items may benefit from additional purchase (i.e., double up the pulley so that 1 foot of pull yields 0.5 foot of lift, for example). You can get pulleys and basically anything else you would need at Home Depot. I'm sorry I don't have any drawings for you though, but on the other hand, I don't think it's really all that hard. Just sort of envision what you want then go buy the pulleys and the rope and have some fun with it...

TheReefGeek
06-15-2006, 03:30 AM
The only part I am wondering about if I build it from scratch on my own is a catch mechanism to hold it in the desired place.

Any suggestions?

Delphinus
06-15-2006, 04:58 AM
I used an eyebolt in the wall and a knot in the rope that wouldn't slip through. Or a hook bolt and a loop knot might work too. I'm sure there are craftier ideas too but that's what I was doing..

TheReefGeek
06-15-2006, 02:34 PM
With an eyebolt, that would work for the position over the tank, but when I pull the rope up, how would I lock it off in the higher position?

With a hook bolt, I don't trust my knot skills :mrgreen:

Skimmerking
06-15-2006, 05:04 PM
I got one and love it. bought it in the states cost me 27 cdn to get it shipped to my place. works really good too /

TheReefGeek
06-15-2006, 05:07 PM
You got one of the bike hoists?

Skimmerking
06-15-2006, 10:11 PM
yes the bike hoist