PDA

View Full Version : SPS suck

AndyL
06-13-2006, 12:04 AM
So anyone care to explain how to avoid RTN?

Thought I was doing really good, my dozen or so frags were starting to colour up again, and were looking good. 3 of nicer milli's were growing noticeably each week...

Then @ lights on this morning, those 3 millis were pure white. Didn't seem to effect the others..

Why would all the millis (save one - of course it wasn't anything overly nice even before it hit the tank) have RTN'd? Nothing changed, nothing dosed.

Andy

OCDP
06-13-2006, 12:11 AM
Andy, I hear ya man. SPS can be such a pain in the arse. I have had several (nice) frags and colonies RTN on me overnight. I hadn't changed anything nor added anything. I really don't know the cause, but it has to be some kind of change in water chemistry or something... either that or it's just a mystery

christyf5
06-13-2006, 03:33 PM
I think thats the million dollar question :razz: Its the wierdest thing how random it all is, yet so selective sometimes (ie. just millis in your case). Sometimes I think SPS will RTN if you look at them funny. :neutral:

WaterLogged
06-13-2006, 03:38 PM
what does RTN mean?

Sorry to hi-jack....

christyf5
06-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Rapid Tissue Necrosis. The tissue pretty much just melts or dissolves off of the coral in a matter of hours, leaving a white skeleton behind. Sometimes it can be due to water quality, temperature or lighting, other times its just random and nobody can figure it out.

danny zubot
06-13-2006, 03:53 PM
And the problem is that it can happen so fast that it doesn't even give you time to figure out why it happens. I've lost many randomly chosen frags to RTN, thankfully no colonies though.:neutral:

Delphinus
06-13-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm pretty much with Christy on the "you looked at it wrong two weeks ago" theory. I'm sure it can be traced back to a reason but it just seems so darn random. And it travels in packs of 2 or 3 too, or so it seems. I.e., if you lose one you'll surely lose another.

Canadbis
06-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Excuse the Newbe in this case, but would the SPS recover from this?

OCDP
06-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Nope. It's super hard to save an RTN'ing SPS coral. The only chance of survival is to frag off where the tissue is not coming off. Then pray for the best.... but once all the tissue is gone, you have nothing but a skeleton, and I am pretty darn sure they don't come back to life .. it sucks.

christyf5
06-13-2006, 04:24 PM
RTN is one of those things you don't really get the opportunity to see in action, let alone have time to do anything about it. Once it starts its very hard to stop. My guess is that its usually bacterial and for some reason its more likely to happen overnight (at least in my case anyways :neutral: ). RTN is pretty much a "catch-all" phrase for "instantaneous" SPS death.

Atomikk
06-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Have you considered that it might be a stray electrical current?

OCDP
06-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Have you considered that it might be a stray electrical current?

If that's the case, wouldn't that effect other inhabitants, being fish and corals, inverts, etc....?

fresh
06-13-2006, 06:57 PM
I think it is a case of stress (duhhhh) ;)

For me, my coral rtn'd when I handled it too much while I was glueing it to a plug! A day latter, it came off the plug, so I took it out and glued it again!!! The next day, it rtn'd.

I am very sure that mine died from over handling!!! Now I was fortunate enough to see it rtn right infront of my eyes the next morning just before lights-on. I took it out, cut the good pieces and glued them to a differnt plug, and the newly cut pieces survived.

For you guys, something must have changed in your tanks to cause the coral to stress out. It can be some inhabitant inside the tank that was stressing the coral. Or it can simply be the allignment of the stars that night ;)

For your general information, the RTN'ing is very peculiar to witness!!! It is as if the coral is shedding and the coloured "skin" just simply comes off the coral!

Just my 2 cents.

danny zubot
06-13-2006, 08:37 PM
That'll do it.