PDA

View Full Version : suicidal anemone

RobbAdams
06-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Apparently the strainer part is not enought to protect an anemone:sad:

Foud him/her stuck to the PH this morning and tank water all cloudy.

Should I try and break the tentacle free of the strainer, or let himself try and free himself?

the striner has been removed, and is sitting on the bottom of the tank with the anemone attached/tangled in it.

God I feel so stupid!!!!

Robb

Beverly
06-12-2006, 09:18 PM
What kind of powerhead and what kind of strainer did the anemone get caught in? Any idea how long it was stuck in there? How bad is the damage to the animal? What kind of anemone?

Geez, I've got more questions than answers :sad: If the animal is really damaged, it may not live. Keeping it in the tank will only foul the water.

On the other hand, if damage isn't too bad, the anemone may recover. Without seeing the damage and what it's stuck in, it's kind of hard to say what to do with it.

Wish I could be of more help. Sure feel your pain, though :cry:

midgetwaiter
06-12-2006, 10:38 PM
I use sponges on the intakes of my nano anenome tank because of this possibility. Of course this morning it moved and is right on top of the heater so I guess some are just determined to hurt themselves.

If you have some iodine / iodide supplemnt try adding some, seems to help.

atcguy
06-12-2006, 11:00 PM
if your anenome is getting to the top of your tank it is seeking light, They should'nt move if they are happy. ie enough light., Try placing it in better spot and build rock around it so it doesnt get swept in teh current. Having said that I have had mine stick itself to a seio 820 . came home to find small tenticles floating in my tank. Put it in a better spot and it recovered fine and hasnt moved since. Over 4 months.

Its a lighting issue!!!

OCDP
06-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Man oh man, you guys just have bad luck with your anemones, huh? Haha, of every single anemone in my care, only ONE rose took a slight wander. Every other has stayed put.

I hate to say it but, in most cases like this, the anemone is doomed for. Either that or it's going to be a super long TLC recovery.

Good luck though.... *knocking furiously on wood*

howdy20012002
06-13-2006, 12:45 AM
I have lots of anemones in my different tanks including one where i currently have around 10 in that i am growing them bigger to sell later on. Unfortunately I have had lots of incidents where they have gotten into a fight with a powerhead or a drain.
I must say if anything these things are amazingly tough
I had one lose every tentacle and yet a month later I sold it with 2 inch tentacles. You couldn't even tell that it was damaged a month earlier.
I had one that, after going through the grate(still not sure how this happened) surrounding the drain, I had to cut it out because its body was stuck into 3 different holes and I had no other options.
Out of that mess, i still have 1 piece that is now a full fledged anemone who is as happy as can be.
Needless to say, I now have a sponge, and 2 grate walls separating my anemones in that tank from the drain and a sponge in the strainer on the power head.
I would say don't give up on it and if you have somewhere out of the way that you can put it for now, i would try to let it make it.
If it looks rough and you think it is dead, smell it. trust me, you will know right away.
that is just my experience though, I am sure others will tell you different.
Neal

Delphinus
06-13-2006, 02:27 AM
More or less echo Neal's (and the others') comments. Injuries aren't great but they're not necessarily fatal (depends on how bad). If the anemone is dead, you'll know, you won't even have to do the sniff test - they just disintegrate into a pile of snotty goo (which just happens to be perhaps one of the most vile smells you'll ever encounter - I don't know what's worse - half-decomposed snail or dead anemone -- both will bring tears to your eyes.) Burns are the worst though. Anemones seem to stand a fighting chance against powerhead injuries (assumed they're not pureed) but if they run into a heater it's much worse.

RobbAdams
06-13-2006, 08:49 PM
I left the anomone and the strainer in the sand, and this morning the anomone has moved and the striner is where I left it. It is starting to puff back up, and appears to be OK. it was a small powerhead(a 201 or 301 I think) so hopefully things will be ok. I will be getting sponges for all intakes tonight.

Robb

adidas
06-14-2006, 09:32 PM
my anemone did that before, I thought he was toast. i had to cut the strainer to free him, but he made it. But, He did it again a month later and died. so ya, put sponges on. :)

Psyire
06-15-2006, 03:41 AM
Does anybody know what causes an anemone to commit suicide?

I would just love to push my aptasia 'over the edge'.

Ruth
06-15-2006, 03:56 AM
Does anybody know what causes an anemone to commit suicide?

I would just love to push my aptasia 'over the edge'.
Still fighting them Psyire? I have seen aptasia advertised on e-bay for sale! Maybe you can make some $ off them.

Psyire
06-15-2006, 04:56 AM
$$$ would be nice...

I'm currently losing the battle. More and more appearing in my main tank. I need some peppermint shrimp badly, and if they don't work then I'll resort to the copperband or possibly the nudi's. Something's gotta work.