PDA

View Full Version : White "stuff" on clownfish mouth.

OCDP
06-12-2006, 02:53 PM
My female has come down with some kind of bacterial infection or something. There is this white stuff around her lips, I have no idea what it is. She still eats like a champ, I have given her two nice big meals of garlic soaked mysis, and it does appear to slowly be going away. Nonetheless, I woulld still like to know what it is, and what causes it? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

muck
06-12-2006, 03:32 PM
- Been eating powdered donuts?
- Rabies?

Any chance you can get a pic Scott?

OCDP
06-12-2006, 04:02 PM
heh, yeah I know.. my bad. Too hard to guess without photos eh. I'll snap a few after work!

phreezee
06-12-2006, 04:33 PM
I think I've seen that at the LFS. Doesn't seem to be contagious, but it does get worse and worse if left untreated. As to what it is, I have no clue.

OCDP
06-12-2006, 04:38 PM
I have been using Garlic extract in their food since I've noticed it. And I am pretty sure I've seen the white stuff go away slightly. I'll re-check after work and post pictures.

Rondelet
06-12-2006, 05:52 PM
A good picture would help. Often the white stuff is excess mucous and a reaction to something such as bacteria, parasites (usually protozoa), or chemical (inorganic irritant). Although, it's strange that the patch is localized around the mouth. How long have you had the fish; and have you added anything recently? Off the top of my head, and if you don't see any discreet whit spots associate with the white stuff, could be the start of Brooklynella infection? Or just a local reaction to an irritant?

OCDP
06-12-2006, 05:58 PM
I've had my clowns for over a year now, it was a year in April.

I do know she will ocassionally rub up in a frogspawn, but I've never seen her in it for more than a few seconds. I don't think this is a cause.

I have added a yellow damsel (don't ask why, I'm still trying to figure that out..) But the damsel is fine, no bacterial infections or any other parasites visible.

There are no white spots, no ick.

The white stuff around her mouth looked mucosy (sp.?)

As mentioned earlier, the white gunk does seem to be going away. I will ( try ) to take some pictures of her this evening. We all know clownfish and cameras... :rolleyes:

Paverdude
06-13-2006, 02:20 AM
when did she last have her rabies shot, should be on her tags on her collar

Rondelet
06-13-2006, 06:07 AM
Don't forget that any fish, like the damsels, or inverts, such as LPS, can act as carriers - bringing pathogens into your system without showing signs of disease. Now that I've thought about it, it's possible that the clown ran into something or was in a fight and the white stuff is simply excess mucous and part of a skin healing episode. Whatever the reason, the good news is that it's going away!

untamed
06-13-2006, 02:19 PM
I had something similar with my clown recently. To me, it looked like he stuck his nose into something that he shouldn't have. For a few days, he had white marks all around his nose.

A few days later, all the damaged scales fell off and he looked fine again.

Railskinner
06-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Ive just added another clown to my tank a week ago and they seemed to have being fighting quite alot ,looks as though they have settled down . Today i noticed as well that they have white lips. I now think this is bruising from all the bitings that they were doing to each other. I'm going to have to watch this as well carefully. Also are eating very well.If u discovered what this is plz let us Know