PDA

View Full Version : Search Results are old

Samw
06-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Why is it that when I hit the "New Posts" button to search for new posts, it uses results from a search that I did 44 minutes ago? Is it because no one posted any messages since then? Anyhow, it shows me messages that I already read as "New" as well. That doesn't seem right. It has been doing this for several months now.

"Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
Search took 0.02 seconds; generated 44 minute(s) ago"

christyf5
06-12-2006, 03:08 PM
I find if you leave your browser window open and then come back to canreef after a time, it will show you the same results you viewed earlier (plus new ones if there are any). However when I close my browser it will only show the new ones since I was there last. I'm using IE.

Samw
06-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Hi Christy.

I've been closing my window and starting a new one. It didn't work. Tried again just now. Maybe I have to close every IE window even if they didn't have Canreef on it. I haven't tried that yet. I guess this must be some kind of feature.

Delphinus
06-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Sam, if you go to Tools -> Internet Options, under the "General" tab there should be a section "Temporary Internet Files", click "Settings": check the "Check for newer versions of stored pages", is it set to "Every visit to the page"?

Just curious. Seems like what you describe could have something to do with that one.

I use Firefox, although I rarely use the "New posts since last visit" page, I don't recall seeming to have that problem before myself -- but it could just be a setting. Hope this helps. Let me know what you find out.

Samw
06-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Its set to Automatic. I just tried closing all IE windows and searched again and all of the messages that I read are back to "New". I'll try changing the cache settings and see if that helps. It shouldn't though.

Samw
06-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Ok, I've changed the setting to "every visit to the page". I even went as far as rebooting my machine. It still shows the messages that I read as "New".

Samw
06-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Well, I can get around the problem by choosing the "Mark forums read" item from the Quick Links drop-down list. I guess this is just how this feature works.

midgetwaiter
06-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Are you viewing this page from home or at work? If it is at work ask your IT people if they have a caching proxy running somewhere. This works just like your browser cache but on a whole network level so if one person if the office requests CNN then the next 10 people that request it get the cached version. Ideally it shouldn't cache dynamic results like a search but there could be something wrong. This could be setup on the network without you knowing or any settings having to be configured on your computer.

If you are at home your ISP could be doing this as well, most do.

Samw
06-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Both home and work. I'm assuming it isn't cached on the client side since each time I click "New Posts", I have different Search Result times. I assume these times are retrieved from the Web Server.