PDA

View Full Version : It's alive... ALIVE!!!!

Delphinus
07-08-2002, 02:22 AM
Well it seems to have taken me a full six months and then some (my 75g was originally filled end of December last), but I finally have my sump circulating. Whoo-hoo!! I turned the valve on this morning after circulating the water through the sump only yesterday, and watching the pump run.

Man that pump is warm. I'm going to rig a fan for it for the long-term.

But, ahhh, water movement. It's all starting to come together now.

Ironically, I STILL have microbubbles. But at least it's at a level I think I can live with, for now. Not the "constant rain of microbubbles" that I had in previous attempts.

Next stop ... well it's still my little secret for now, but I hope to have my next little experiment into production this week. If it works out, I'll be posting some pics in the DIY section!

Canadian Man
07-08-2002, 02:39 AM
Congrat's Tony,
Are you sure I cant take a peek at your secret when I come over tommorow to get my stuff?

Come on you can't keep secrets from the DIY Man!

Delphinus
07-08-2002, 02:52 AM
Ohhh Ok... the problem is, you're going to put one together faster than I will, and beat me to it, 'cuz I work real, real slow ... :D

Borneman surge tanks... I want to put one on each side of the tank, but I'll start off with one and see how it goes. Two surge tanks dumping into the display might overwhelm my standing pipe, so I'll start with one, see how it goes, tweak it and such, and then add an overflow box maybe for the other side to compensate for the extra sudden tank volumes if I like it enough to make it two surges. :D

But to give you an idea of just how geeky I am, I get all giddy when I think about this. I think it has such potential! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

[ 07 July 2002, 22:53: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Canadian Man
07-08-2002, 12:00 PM
COOL!
Well I will wait for you to finish before I start constructing one smile.gif
have you started yet?

Delphinus
07-10-2002, 11:36 AM
Buh. My first failure of the sump. Sometime last night the cradle I built to hold up my skimmer fell apart (it was just some ledges siliconed to some baffles that the skimmer could sit on), so the skimmer toppled, and was sitting at a 45 degree angle all night.

I am now mopping up about 5 gals off the floor ... :mad:

I guess it's better to have these little "oops"'s now rather than in 2 or 3 weeks when I'm gone on vacation. So, in a weird sense, I have to be GLAD that I have a flood this week...

I can see that had I somehow kept my skimmer overflow in my sump itself, this would have all overflowed back into the sump. Hmmm. I guess this is why you can buy those acrylic skimmer collection cups? I see my next project coming online now (how does that saying go .. necessity is the obsession of all obsession ... no wait ... obsession is the mother of ... no ... mother of obsessions is the inventions of all frustrations .. no that's not it either . .. invention is the obsession .... spouses are frustrated with obsessions .... oh forget it!)

Canadian Man
07-10-2002, 12:49 PM
smile.gif Sorry Tony, I can't help but laugh at that one.
The things we do eh!