PDA

View Full Version : Mitch - Rob

EmilyB
06-29-2002, 02:41 AM
What is the update ? Do we have any idea of a timeframe ?

MitchM
06-29-2002, 10:20 AM
no nothing yet.
my weekends are filling up though...

Mitch

Delphinus
06-29-2002, 01:39 PM
In my very limited memory, I seem to recall that Rob said something about being at a conference in Banff that run over the weekend, and that if he were to meet up with us, it would be either just before, or just after the conference. So a weekend was out to begin with.

Who has the greatest rapport with Rob, and wouldn't mind sending him an email? I assume that we'll still host this at Mitch's place, but hey Mitch, if you're not certain if that is still good for you, I'm sure we can work with that. (I haven't hosted a meeting yet myself and would like to someday. Of course my three tanks are still respectively one abomination, one embarrassment, and one work-in-progress so I'd have to work real quick to fix that. (I've kind of set as my "drop dead" target for getting my 50g down, my 75g up in final config, the end of July. This means I have roughly 2,3 weeks to set up a new tank for my ritteri [unlikely], find a new home for it [hmmm possible], or decide as unreasonable to take down the 50 just yet until perhaps after my vacation [hmmm probably the likely outcome])...)

But I seem to remember it was around the 10th of July that Rob was here. So we should probably firm this up real quick ...

BTW, I'll be out of town this weekend (I really shouldn't even be on the 'pooter I should be getting things ready). I'll be back late Monday. Have a good Canada Day, everyone, and see y'all next week ... :D

MitchM
07-01-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by delphinus:
...but hey Mitch, if you're not certain if that is still good for you, I'm sure we can work with that. (I haven't hosted a meeting yet myself and would like to someday. Of course my three tanks are still respectively one abomination, one embarrassment, and one work-in-progress so I'd have to work real quick to fix that.... <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Tony, don't be so quick to criticize your many set-ups! You've got a LOT of interesting things happening in your system, and I think it's GREAT!
When I saw your set-up, I was especially impressed with your success with the small clams smile.gif :cool: .
Having the meeting at your place would most certainly be more interesting than at mine.
Jonathan has seen my set-up, and he can attest to how basic it is right now. I don't have my CA reactor or skimmer running, and my 180 sump isn't going to be hooked up to my main tank until I have moved to my new home.
My system is still in the basic maintenance mode that it was in for when I went to Vancouver.

Mitch

Troy F
07-01-2002, 03:05 PM
Tony, you have to hang on to the Heteractis magnifica, it's so rare to hear of someone having success with one I wouldn't chance moving it to someone with a different set up and possibly different husbandry skills. JMO

Canadian Man
07-02-2002, 04:01 AM
Everyone i have seen all has great setups, Mitch's setup is amazing just cause of the size. :eek: :eek:

Biogeek
07-02-2002, 08:08 PM
Hey Mitch I'm very sorry that I didn't reply to your Email sooner, but I just finally got the firm dates from my brother today, and have just finished booking my flights a few minutes ago. I thought that it might be best if I just post my travel plans here rather than sending you an Email because it's kind of short notice now.

Anyhow, I arrive in Calgary on Monday (July 8th) evening and can be free pretty much any time that works for you guys on Tuesday or Wednesday. I am supposed to be at a conference in Banff that starts on Thursday (July 11th), so I'll have to leave mid-day on Thursday, and I fly out right after the meeting is over.

Do either of those days or evenings work for you guys?

Rob

Canadian Man
07-02-2002, 09:31 PM
Monday (of course the day you didnt list) works well for me as I am off that day.
Tuesday and Wednesday probably wont work as I work from 12:30 to 8:30 both days. If our meeting is in the morning it would work but that is highly unlikley.

Bob I
07-02-2002, 10:32 PM
I don't remember where the meeting was to be, but I am free after about 1830 hrs both days, DEFINITELY :D
Bob

EmilyB
07-02-2002, 10:47 PM
Jonathan, take a day off or a sick day tongue.gif Even I am going to try and hit this one...anti-social creature that I am :D

I don't know what morning is, I could learn to function then, if I had to. So, pretty much anytime, anyplace those days :cool:

I will bring beer and crab dip. (I guess not beer if it is AM) If you guys seriously can't get it together, we can have it here. We actually had a reef party a few years ago, I think that was when I began to get anti-social....hmmmmm :D ;) tongue.gif

Delphinus
07-03-2002, 02:04 AM
(Hmmmm I never remember being invited to that party.... aint that the story of my life tho!)

If I get a vote ... it's for Tuesday evening. Jonathan, surely you couldn't get someone to cover for you? :(

Canadian Man
07-03-2002, 11:14 AM
Well if it is Tuesday for sure than i will see what i can do. But It will be a hard thing to convince my staff to do :rolleyes:

Delphinus
07-03-2002, 11:19 AM
Aren't you the boss???? tongue.gif :D

Canadian Man
07-03-2002, 12:24 PM
Well yes but I also have a boss/owner to try to convince as well :rolleyes: .
Thats the hard part as they always go in the evenings to spend time with their family.sheesh dam family ;)

Biogeek
07-04-2002, 04:57 AM
Tuesday would be fine with me - just let me know when and where I am supposed to meet you guys ;)

Rob

MitchM
07-04-2002, 10:14 AM
Tuesday is no good for me. Family -to-be coming in from out of town,,,, :(

Tony...Deb?

Mitch

Delphinus
07-04-2002, 11:20 AM
Well unfortunately Wednesday's not perfect for me. But that's OK, I can miss out on the Wednesday night races for one week. So, basically, it looks like this to me: Someone is going to just have to pick a time, and the rest of us will just have to deal with it. Mitch, it's your place, so you get the final say. Pick the day and time.

Just had one thought, don't know how good of an idea this is, but here it is. What about mid-day or "early lunch" or something on Wednesday? Jonathan, maybe this would work for you? If the need arose, could you come into work just a wee-little-tiny bit late (say you have a dentist appointment or something?) Although I'd be blowing off work myself, if it was around 11:00/11:30/12:00 whatever, it'd just be an extended lunch basically. I can swing that. And it wouldn't be too early for beer :D :D :D I don't know how well that works for others, maybe it's not a hot idea, I don't know.

Bottom line: Mitch, your place, your call. We await your decision (no pressure now :D )

Canadian Man
07-04-2002, 11:35 AM
For me 11 is wonderful and i could show up at work a little late.
Up to Mitch though

MitchM
07-04-2002, 02:23 PM
No, I mean that hosting it is no good for me. Tony or Deb, one of you will have to. I work during both days and I am not available during the evenings.

Mitch

[ 04 July 2002, 10:24: Message edited by: Carpentersreef ]

Delphinus
07-04-2002, 05:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry that it couldn't work for you Mitch. It would have been a great opportunity to drool over ... er ... see your system once again... ;)

Anyways I would be happy to host this, if you all promise not to laugh (or cry in despair with empathy for the poor creatures under my care..) when you see my tanks...

The only problem is .... when. I really, really want everyone to be able to come. But the problem for me is, I probably won't have time to prepare things if we do a mid-day thing, so it would have to be Tuesday evening. But I know that doesn't work so great for Jonathan, and as one of the spearheaders of this whole club, he just has to be there. Just has to. (Sorry Jon this is my decree.) smile.gif

So. Jonathan, is there any chance you can swap work hours around for Tuesday?

Failing that. (Don't tell my boss I'm thinking this...) I could take the day off (cough cough I feel a 24 hour flu coming on) and we could have it midday. Is there anyone that this DOESN'T work for.

It's coming down to, I get the 24-hour flu, or Jonathan gets the 24-hour flu. :D (Jon shall we put it to a vote there and let our peers decide who's getting the "flu"??) :D

[ 04 July 2002, 13:03: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Bob I
07-04-2002, 05:22 PM
For me only evenings that week, and after 1900hrs at that, or early mornings.
Bob

Canadian Man
07-04-2002, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the kind words Tony!
Well the only guy that I could switch with is away all next week so switching normally would work but not this time.
So because you insist on me being there which I do want to. I could only make it on tuesday in the morning and be a little late for work, like 11 ish for the start of the meeting. This does not work for Bob though. OR if we had it in the evening, but I am off at 8:30pm and that may be a little late for some.

Sorry I cant be more flexable but this time of year is hard cause all my guys have time booked off and such.

Delphinus
07-05-2002, 12:39 AM
At all possible to sneak away early? Hmmm I guess not. Just thinking out loud here.

Just thinking that if you booted on over right after work we will in most likelihood still have some sort of gathering. Of course being a "school night" (weekday that is) we probably ought not to linger too late (boy, wifey will be VeryAngryWithHusband(tm) if it does anyways)

Rob, are you at all listening still? Do you have a sort of presentation or something, or do you think it will just be a sort of "reef talk" thing? Just kind of curious as to how much time you'll need for any kind of prepared presentation. I'm sorry I've never hosted a meeting before let alone "An Evening BBQ with Biogeek" before.. http://jabot2000.homestead.com/files/emoticons/help.gif

Hey guys, what time have we had our meetings at before when we've met? 7:30? 8:00?

Biogeek
07-05-2002, 03:38 AM
Yep, I'm still listening in. I didn't have anything formal planned, so it kinda depends on what you guys would like to do. I have a bunch of hour-long talks prepared (older ones that I have given for WMC or MACNA, etc), and will load them all onto my laptop before I come up. If folks would like me to give a formal talk on some particular subject I can do that easily enough, but that would either require a little prep time for me or someone to loan me an LCD projector to hook my laptop to for the talk. I have a couple of relatively informal talks that run from handouts as well instead of a formal presentation, one on planktonic foods and one on captive breeding.

If you want an informal talk on some subject or just a Q&A session, that doesn't require any prep time and we can just hang out and gab. I would be just fine with visiting a couple of the local reef aquarium shops and going out for dinner, too.
Whatever is easiest for you guys, I guess...

Rob

Delphinus
07-05-2002, 12:08 PM
Personally I'm just thinking informal reef gab but if it can be steered to anything you have material on, so much the better. Unfortunately I kinda have a small place and I can't really envision where we could set up a projector screen where we would all be able to see it. Well .... hmmm, maybe the living room but then again I don't know anyone with a screen or an LCD projector so unless someone volunteers one, let's maybe not plan for that.

Rob, BTW, I will send you an email with my address and how to find me. Hopefully we can establish a time here.

Anyways I will talk to you everybody soon, hopefully.

Biogeek
07-05-2002, 01:57 PM
Another possibility that occurred to me would be to meet with Jonathan (and anyone else who was interested) in the morning to have a reef tank tour or hit a couple of local shops, and then have a reef gab session that evening. I have just made arrangements to hook up with a couple of old friends in Calgary during the day on Tuesday, but they are both interested in reef tanks as well, and they may be interested in tagging along too. I'll check with them to see if this idea would work out or not, and let you guys know...

Rob

Delphinus
07-05-2002, 08:25 PM
I quite like this idea!

So ... do we need to get our pub crawl .. er ... reef tank crawl list of people started?

Yeah, I think it would be worth a little flu. :D Count me in.

Who else?

Bob I
07-06-2002, 04:16 AM
If it is to be Tuesday, it would take me until roughly 7:30 to get to your place. If Wednesday it would take until sevenish. I am now away for the weekend, and will not touch base until Sunday evening.
Bob

Canadian Man
07-06-2002, 04:17 AM
Rob, you are a genius.
That would be wonderfull for me. I would love to show my system to you and get your fantastic opinion. That works for me and hopefully some others.

Tony are you still planning to take the day off(err have the flu i mean)? If so maybe we can meet with Rob in the morning and show him some stuff around the city.

AJ_77
07-08-2002, 12:35 AM
Greetings, Calgarians! Looks like you've been making lively plans in my absence. I must decline your day-long gala, as I will most definitely be at work that day, and with my brother for his birthday Tuesday evening.

So sorry. Sounds like a winner.

Alan

EmilyB
07-08-2002, 01:35 AM
And now for the real surprise.. :eek: I am Alan's brother. :D

Canadian Man
07-08-2002, 01:46 AM
Alan We missed you!
I thought you gave up Reefing for good!
How's the green tank?

Delphinus
07-08-2002, 01:58 AM
Um ... happy birthday to Alan's brother and EmilyB :eek: (I really, really don't want to go into that any deeper ... :D )

Ok. So who's in, and who's out for the Tuesday afternoon reef tank tour?

When and where shall we meet?

EmilyB
07-08-2002, 02:08 AM
Now it's afternoon...why doesn't that surprise me :D ;) tongue.gif

Delphinus
07-08-2002, 02:16 AM
Crap! I guess it's supposed to be morning.

Never mind me, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Important things like this probably are best left to be organized by someone else. I am a terrible choice to try to organize something.

And ... once again, I see I have blinked, and missed another weekend. Crap crap crap.

Ok. Let me try this again.

Who's in for a reef tank tour on Tuesday? Is it really just Jon, Rob, and me????

EmilyB
07-08-2002, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by delphinus:
Crap! I guess it's supposed to be morning.

Never mind me, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Important things like this probably are best left to be organized by someone else. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Important things are best left to be organized by a woman...however, you guys will likely muddle thru somehow... tongue.gif

My tanks are not available for viewing in the AM -
(lights go on around 1:00 PM) plus most reefers I know work during the day.

Canadian Man
07-08-2002, 02:42 AM
But this is Rob Toonen we are talking about.
We should all have the 24h flu and have a party! :cool: :rolleyes:
Can't miss this.

[ 07 July 2002, 22:42: Message edited by: Canadian Man ]

EmilyB
07-08-2002, 03:37 AM
http://jabot2000.homestead.com/files/emoticons/rotfl1.gif

AJ_77
07-08-2002, 01:02 PM
Hi Sis! Glad to hear SOMEone missed me! ;)

Jon, the green tank is much the same. I will be bottling and selling green water shortly. You've heard of Kelowna Mysis? Get ready for Calgary Phyto - home-grown, highest quality!

The 24hr flu idea is mighty tempting, but I just missed a week here... Should put in SOME work...

Alan

Bob I
07-08-2002, 01:34 PM
It goes on and on. Now it is Monday AM, and I am back in the city. Are there any FINAL plans now??

Delphinus
07-08-2002, 02:57 PM
The big dilemma for me is that half of us definitely cannot make it to an evening BBQ on Tuesday (and of the other half, nobody has even indicated that it IS a possibility, so for all I know, nobody might show up); and the flip side of the coin is that only two of us can make it to a daytime reef tank tour, and the rest cannot do that either, presumably.

If you can see a solution that is beneficial to at least some kind of majority, I am totally open to suggestions at ths point.

I hate to say it, but this is not looking good at this point. I don't want to be wasting Rob's time with a "Calgary Reef Club meeting" where he is invited as a guest speaker and then only two people show up.

Biogeek
07-09-2002, 12:43 AM
I am just checking in here - I don't have access to my Email right now. So, do we have any plans?

Rob

Canadian Man
07-09-2002, 01:25 AM
Well, Tony is out of the game as well. He has to work for sure tommorow.Sigh
I suppose this ended up being a flop after all.
Sorry to waste your time Rob.
it's too bad everyone in calgary couldnt make this work. :(
Oh well, next time. :rolleyes:

Canadian Man
07-09-2002, 04:09 AM
I sent Rob an Email, forgot to copy what it said but I sent it to Tony as well.
So waiting for his reply.

Delphinus
07-09-2002, 04:48 AM
Unfortunately, yes, I can no longer do Tuesday morning due to an "executive request" by my boss to go over to one of our customer sites and fix a system that's crashing.

I would, however, be available WEDNESDAY morning if that's an option.

Rob, I don't know if you're still out there or not (this is getting to be a long thread..), but Jonathan and I live pretty close to each other. If Jonathan is available Wednesday morning, would you be interested in paying Jon & I a visit? We could talk reef tanks, show off our setups, and maybe go pay some stores a visit. Wai's, as it turns out, is right across the street from Peter's Drive In, a perfect spot for lunch on a summer's day (hopefully the weather on Wednesday won't be quite as damp as it is right now?!). Anyone who's interested and able to come along, let's do this, it'll be fun.

And Rob, this way I can get you a fistful of halimeda you can pass along to your buddy (Bob if you're reading this, don't worry, I promise to save you some! I have oodles and oodles...)

I'm sorry this is such a pandemonium of disorganization. What hectic schedules to try and juggle (darn that work always getting in the way of the important stuff! Only 60 years till retirement, whoohoo!! ;) ).

What say you? (And anyone else?)

I can be reached at (403)254-0976 (home) and (403)212-2409 (daytime). I'll try to remember to bring my cell with me tomorrow, in case anyone needs to reach me in the morning, (403)815-1038. I won't be able to check this site, or my email, until tomorrow afternoon.

Biogeek
07-09-2002, 12:00 PM
Actually Wednesday morning may be fine -- I'll give you a call Tony and see what we can arrange. What about tonight? Anything planned, or is that falling through as well? No problem either way - I just want to find out...

Rob

Bob I
07-09-2002, 12:13 PM
I am still standing by to see if anything is happening eveningwise, that being my only available time. Once again work stands in the way of more important things. :(

Canadian Man
07-09-2002, 01:00 PM
Tony, Rob.
I am availiable for a Wednesday morning tank show off tour.

Seriak
07-09-2002, 02:03 PM
I would come out and visit all of you and your tanks, but I am a little new and don't feel like I belong quite yet. I am also with Bob in that my job prevents me from weekday excursions. By the way, what is the average age of the group members.
under 18
18-24
25-30
30-35
35-40
above 40

Just curious!

Bob I
07-09-2002, 02:21 PM
Well it would be hard to come up with an average, but with me at 61, and the others in low to middle thirties I would guess, then the average would be middle thirties I guess. That would be without counting Jonathan who I would guess is not as yet thirty, and who knows about spikeh? OK, now I am confused.

Canadian Man
07-09-2002, 02:45 PM
Well most dont think I am as young as I am but yes it's true.
I'm 23 and dam proud of it :rolleyes:
Everyone belongs, my house is always open to tanks show off sessions and I do enjoy visiting others as well!

[ 09 July 2002, 10:46: Message edited by: Canadian Man ]

Canadian Man
07-09-2002, 05:07 PM
27 :eek:
Your old enough to be my grandpa! :D
just kidding ;)

Delphinus
07-09-2002, 05:50 PM
Yeah, well, at least mentally I AM a teenager, spoiled whiney brat, and a thug. Don't let the hairline (or lack thereof) fool you. Oh, and a geek, but realistically, not a very good geek, though... Mediocrity now!

PS. I refuse to beleive anyone I know could be born after Star Wars was in the theatres. I was a mere 6 mind you, but there you have it :D

[ 09 July 2002, 13:51: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Delphinus
07-09-2002, 06:00 PM
PS. Well if anyone wants to do something in the evening, that's fine too. I hadn't heard from anyone though that this was a good time for them when I first mentioned the idea. So I didn't know what end was up.

I need to make some final modifications to my hood so I can finally take the clamp-on fan off and use it elsewhere, and close the door of the hood (since it has been open for the last three months). So I would probably like to work on that tonight, and perhaps thus be a little antisocial if I could.

But I guess if there is a social gathering, please count me in.

BTW, I guess there's also tomorrow evening too.

Bob I
07-09-2002, 11:54 PM
Folks there have been forty some posts on this, and I still have no idea if anything is happening. Will we have a get together with Rob or not? I am still available Wednesday evening. PLEASE let me know if it is happening. :confused:
Bob

Delphinus
07-10-2002, 01:47 AM
It seems that the basic answer is no, there is no club get-together due to everybody's conflicting schedules. :(

Jonathan & I are going to meet up with Rob Wednesday morning, and basically play it by ear, see where we go. Anyone who is able to come with us, is of course totally welcome, and I reiterate the invitation for anyone able to come, to please do so. I work in the daytime too so I understand that many people can't do this, but I'm going to use my "Stampede Parade 1/2 day off" (because I did not use it last Friday as most others in my office did.)

Technically I have a conflict for Wednesday evening (every Wednesday evening May to September). I offered the suggestion of Wednesday evening as a means to hopefully garnish some more buy-in on the idea... (Even if it means I couldn't go, I would still prefer to see something done as a group if at all possible.)

spikehs
07-10-2002, 04:01 AM
i think i may be the youngest, 19 here....

Seriak
07-10-2002, 04:33 AM
I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't all a group of teenagers. Not that I don't like hanging with teenagers, its just that the conversation is always a little bit different. I will have to get together with you guys then. BTW I am 27 next Monday!